Tricks of the Trade for Tipping

This topic was posted many months ago but I don't remember some of the great and helpful comments. I would like to tip the room steward well, and need advice. I have heard they love American T-shirts, but I'm not sure about that one. I have also heard that it may help to give some of the tip the first day and of course more at the end. Any advice would be appreciated!

I didn't mean to indicate just a tee shirt; I thought maybe a tee shirt in addition to a very nice tip. Maybe I didn't hear correctly about the tee shirt. I'm just looking for any suggestions on when to tip and if anyone thinks it is better to tip in the beginning and end of the trip.

I admire your desire to make your tip a little more special, but I have to agree cash is what will impress them the most. If you want to reward your steward on a job well done, let the green backs do the talking.

This has been discussed here many times. Crew quarters are very small and they simply don't have room for trinkets and gifts. Really, they just don't. "Cash is king", as they say. Extra cash, on top of what you would normally tip, is a wonderful way to recognize their service.

Additionally, guest comment cards are revered as very special; a server in the Windjammer told us that if an employee gets two of them, they get a day off. In a world where these employees work for 6 or 8 months straight, that goes a long way. :)

we tipped an extra $5 at the beginning of our cruise with a hand-written note to our cabin attendant saying "thanks for making our vacation great" or something. We received standard service. Nothing special. I wouldn't tip extra, early, again.

I didn't mean to indicate just a tee shirt; I thought maybe a tee shirt in addition to a very nice tip. Maybe I didn't hear correctly about the tee shirt. I'm just looking for any suggestions on when to tip and if anyone thinks it is better to tip in the beginning and end of the trip.

We put our tips/gratuities on our on-board account and pass out the envelopes provided on the last evening of the cruise. Those tips are for the stateroom attendant, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. Of course, you may add a few extra dollars if any of them has provided exceptional service.

If we order something from room service, we tip a dollar or two to the person who delivers our order.

The only other times when we may occasionally have tipped up front was when we requested that the stateroom attendant provide some sort of additional service such as refilling the ice buckets twice a day or getting something in particular for us.

Traditionally, tips are given after a service has been provided.

we tipped an extra $5 at the beginning of our cruise with a hand-written note to our cabin attendant saying "thanks for making our vacation great" or something. We received standard service. Nothing special. I wouldn't tip extra, early, again.

Did you tip $5 extra every day or just at the beginning? Just trying to figure out if they are tipped extra every day if it would make a difference.

Did you tip $5 extra every day or just at the beginning? Just trying to figure out if they are tipped extra every day if it would make a difference.
Just the second day, actually (as we were leaving the ship to go to Nassau). I don't think it would have mattered. He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either. But his service did not go beyond standard for us.

We never have and never will "pre-tip". It seems unnecessary to us, and almost like a "bribe", if you will. Our room stewards have ranged from good to great to outstanding, and none of them were ever pre-tipped.

I guess I don't understand what makes "exceptional" service? A clean room, a friendly steward, ice bucket full is all we require. I didn't know anything else above and beyond the call of duty was required.:confused: :)

I guess "exceptional service" is super subjective. An example is, in comparison to our room attendant last week, the room attendant for our girls' room was extremely personable, got to know them, learned what they are interested in, didn't just say "hi" but had conversations with them every time she saw them. If she was in another room making the bed, for example, she would call out if she saw them in the hallway, asking them about their day, was there anything she could do for them, etc. She even introduced herself to me and learned that I was Katie's mom. For the rest of the cruise, she always greeted me with "Hi, Mom!" when she saw me in the hall or the room. Their room was always clean and always had ample toiletries and towels.

By contrast, our attendant barely acknowledged us when we saw him in the hallway, sometimes not even saying "hi" until we did. He never asked if we needed anything. Our soap and shampoo were never replenished until we asked because we were completely out. We constantly had to ask for additional towels (even though we hung our towels for re-use). The bathroom never felt clean, and on one day we know it wasn't cleaned because my cousin had been in the bathroom the night before and had left some black sequins behind from her outfit. They were on the floor and the wall and were still there the next day after the morning make-up service.

Again, I wouldn't say he was bad. Service was adequate. But this was not exceptional, and, consequently, the girls' attendant earned an extra tip at the end.

I guess "exceptional service" is super subjective. An example is, in comparison to our room attendant last week, the room attendant for our girls' room was extremely personable, got to know them, learned what they are interested in, didn't just say "hi" but had conversations with them every time she saw them. If she was in another room making the bed, for example, she would call out if she saw them in the hallway, asking them about their day, was there anything she could do for them, etc. She even introduced herself to me and learned that I was Katie's mom. For the rest of the cruise, she always greeted me with "Hi, Mom!" when she saw me in the hall or the room. Their room was always clean and always had ample toiletries and towels.

By contrast, our attendant barely acknowledged us when we saw him in the hallway, sometimes not even saying "hi" until we did. He never asked if we needed anything. Our soap and shampoo were never replenished until we asked because we were completely out. We constantly had to ask for additional towels (even though we hung our towels for re-use). The bathroom never felt clean, and on one day we know it wasn't cleaned because my cousin had been in the bathroom the night before and had left some black sequins behind from her outfit. They were on the floor and the wall and were still there the next day after the morning make-up service.

Again, I wouldn't say he was bad. Service was adequate. But this was not exceptional, and, consequently, the girls' attendant earned an extra tip at the end.

Very well said and I totally agree! Our attendant on the FOS last summer was exactly how you described yours.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, I am enjoying it!

I had this experience on my last couple of cruises. On one hand it's good to hear that there are still some that are friendly and accommodating. On the other hand, I'm getting worried that what you describe is becoming the norm.

I would describe this type of service as "sufficient".

I wouldn't even be so generous as to say that service was 'sufficient'. It's one thing to ask for extra towels (they don't know how many towels you like), but quite another to have to ASK to have the amenities refreshed/replaced. And to not clean the bathroom during normal morning clean-up?

Anyway, back to the original question...

The crew has such little space, and while they may act very appreciative when you give them a little gift, the fact is, they really need the money. Most, if not all, of them send $$ home to their families. I've read that many pax give them phone cards, but I've also read that sometimes the phone cards don't work as expected and they don't get as many minutes as were purchased.

Cash. It's the way to go.

I wouldn't even be so generous as to say that service was 'sufficient'. It's one thing to ask for extra towels (they don't know how many towels you like), but quite another to have to ASK to have the amenities refreshed/replaced. And to not clean the bathroom during normal morning clean-up?

Yes, agreed. I was really referring to my experience. But, no matter.

Archived