I am doing the....

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE :-) Ahhhhh I'm so excited for my first cruise. Any tips? I am going to be on the Carnival Victory. We have all of the excursions booked (we are doing an excursion in Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten), everything is set for the plane tickets, all the transportation to/from the airport is taken care of and the last things that I have to do is pack my suitcase and carry-on. What do you think are essential on the cruise that I wouldn't think of bringing/doing? Thanks a bunch!!

Helen

Don't forget to breathe! ;) Relax and have a great cruise! Soon you will be just another cruise addict like the rest of us!

I wont forget...it is just my personality where I need to have everything down to a T before I leave (or else I feel like I am missing something). I am sure we will be addicted by the end of the cruise :-)

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE :-) Ahhhhh I'm so excited for my first cruise. Any tips? I am going to be on the Carnival Victory. We have all of the excursions booked (we are doing an excursion in Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten), everything is set for the plane tickets, all the transportation to/from the airport is taken care of and the last things that I have to do is pack my suitcase and carry-on. What do you think are essential on the cruise that I wouldn't think of bringing/doing? Thanks a bunch!!

Helen

If you're into low flying aircraft - - DUMP the excursion in St. Maarten. I did one there, drove around the island and felt it was very boring. I'd have rather hit Maho Beach, soak up some suds and lay on the beach as those huge planes fly over me @ less than 60 feet!

Maho+Beach2.jpg

Victory was our first cruise back in 2006. And yes I was addicted by the end of the first day:D. Have a great time!

When packing keep it simple! I still have a tendency to over-pack (but I am getting better:o)

Some "must pack" item for me are

• hand sanitizer (I buy the small trial size and stick one in my pocket)
  • A soft over the door shoe organizer (really frees up couter space in the bathroom, holds my brush, hair accessories, curling iron, tooth paste etc.)
  • A small selection of OTC meds (Ibuprofen, pepto, neosporin, tums, benedryl) along with a few bandages, this is all "just in case"
  • I always take Bonine, we do not get sea sick, but I want to have it, again "just in case"
  • Gallon Ziplock bags, you will find a dozen uses for them.
  • Nalgene type water bottle, the water on the ship is fantastic. We fill our water bottles on the Lido deck. Also, unless your excursions include beverages, you will want to take water into port. Carnival charges and arm and a leg for a bottle of water.
  • Sunblock/bug spray BullFrog makes a combo product that we have always found works well.
  • Camera
  • Clothes- this is where you should keep it simple, I generally pack way too much. Now I make sure the two outfits/gowns I pack for Elegant Nights can both be worn with the same shoes, I pack one pair each black, and tan capris, then I can mix and match different tops for non-elegant nights in the MDR. A few pairs of shorts. Swim suit.

Things NOT to pack: These are the silly things I packed for our first cruise and did not need. Also check the Carnival web site for prohibited items.

• Beach towel (you will get one on the ship for use in port)
  • 9 pairs of shoes (Yep I actually took 9 pairs on our first cruise)
  • Hair drier, the room will have one and there is only one outlet in the room, so just takes up space (Carnival has recently put a limit on the Wattage of blowdryers allowed on board anyway)
  • Robe (there will be one in your cabin for your use)

Enjoy your cruise!

Helen, I'm excited for you! I'm like you and like to be prepared too.

Molly has some great tips and suggestions.

One thing I'll add is, if you're not carrying your own luggage off, you'll be leaving it out in the hall the last night of the cruise so you'll want to be sure to have a small tote or something to put your last night's things in to carry off the ship. PJ's and anything else you aren't packing and putting in the hall before bed. I travel with a small collapsible zippered tote bag because I always need the extra packing space anyway from buying souvenirs, etc.

Also, a tip from my Mom, if possible pack a sundress or something light that you can wear to dinner in your carry on, in case your luggage is delayed. My luggage has always found its way to me but having the extra outfit keeps you from stressing out as much when it takes a long time to get there. Also you may want to pack a bathing suit/shorts, tank top etc. in your carry on to change into when you first get on the ship. We always do this and it puts us right into party/relaxation mode.

And like the other posters said, relax and enjoy. Inevitably you'll forget something or think of something later but that's ok because you'll know it for your next cruise. And you can buy/borrow most anything you might need.

Have a great vacation!

Francie

Helen,

My DH and I will be on this cruise with you! We're flying to San Juan one week from today, and sailing on Sunday. Can't wait.

Our dear friend whom we met on a cruise last year will be cruising with us! She's bringing another friend, so I will have another one, too.

We have so much fun cruising.

Don't try to do everything, but choose some things you'd not normally do when at home---afternoon tea, wine tasting, etc.

That goes for excursions, too. Don't overschedule yourself.

Have a blast. Hope to meet you on the ship. One of us will usually have something Gator-related on.:p

If you're into low flying aircraft - - DUMP the excursion in St. Maarten. I did one there, drove around the island and felt it was very boring. I'd have rather hit Maho Beach, soak up some suds and lay on the beach as those huge planes fly over me @ less than 60 feet!

Maho+Beach2.jpg

Daaang! :eek:

Helen, just thought of something else. If you suffer from motion sickness (carnival rides, reading in the car) you might have a problem on the ship. If so, Bonine works great and I've found that taking it at night before bed works best so I don't get drowsy during the day from it. I always take one the night before the cruise so it's already in my system and then take one each night before bed. If it's really rough weather I will take an extra half tablet just to be sure.

I envy you, I'll be waiting over 40 days for ours. :(

Have a nice trip - be safe!

Helen, just thought of something else. If you suffer from motion sickness (carnival rides, reading in the car) you might have a problem on the ship. If so, Bonine works great and I've found that taking it at night before bed works best so I don't get drowsy during the day from it. I always take one the night before the cruise so it's already in my system and then take one each night before bed. If it's really rough weather I will take an extra half tablet just to be sure.

This can be helpful, our last cruise, the weather was a bit rough on the last day before disembarkation and boy - it didn't feel good. But unless the weather is bad, you won't feel much motion.

Maho+Beach2.jpg

We are going on Bernards Tour which stops at Maho Beach, Orient Beach, and does a complete tour around the entire island with stops for other things like shopping. My mom wants to get a feel of the island instead of just going to one beach. Trust me, I love airplanes and I could probably stay there all day watching them come in. Ill let you know how it goes with a trip report when I get back!

Helen

Thanks everyone for the information! I will probably over-pack but that is because we are flying to our condo in St. Thomas after the cruise for an additional 2 weeks...so I have to prepare for that. I do not get motion sickness but I will pack it just incase. This board is so helpful!! Thanks again!

Helen

Helen, Oh like minded soul! My first leaves 7 days from today,and Im leaving home the day before, so Im counting it as my 6 day happy dance today!!! Like you Ive searched these boards for over a year,and made some good friends too! Youre going to have a ball!!! Ive got all that last minute stuff to do myself. Mainly situating my 2 DS's. One is going to Nana's today,up in KY, we're ALL looking forward to that.{Bad Mama,I know,lol}

I love the tip about Bonine the night BEFORE!! I get car sick sometimes, even when IM DRiVING, but I can read in a car, weird,I know. So I will for sure be using that tip. TY for it!!!

Im only taking a carryon this trip. Maybe if I were driving vs flying, Id be toting all but the sink, but Ive learned sooo much on here about less being more. Ive got my suitcase half packed already! Im just gonna be stamping my foot for 6 more days!

HAVE A BALL,and I cant wait to read your review when we all get back! Im going on Fascination,so ck mine out too. Wonder how we "virgins" compare notes,kind of thing!!!

Sarah

Helen

I am so excited for you. The one thing I can't cruise without is my over the door shoe bag. Get one with Clear pockets. It holds all your bathroom stuff, (I buy sample size hair care products, toothpaste, etc.) plus a great place to store your sign & sale card and still room for shoes. Also take extra hangers. I buy a 12 pack of the cheep plastic covered wire hangers ($1.99) and leave them in them in the closet when I leave. Crew or next guest can use them. A Highlighter to highlight the "Fun Times" events you want to attend. One last thing I can't cruise without... An insulated Travel Mug... HAPPY CRUISING !!

Archived