Legend Question - 9 Cruises, Never Carnival

amybeth4

Of course most of you are going to encourage me to go on Carnival. ;)

Not me! :cool: If you're referring to the line as 'Carnie' :rolleyes: at every other turn, I believe you've already made a decision.

Enjoy your cruise on RCI or Princess. :)

How would you know "Carnival's decor is horrific" if you've never been on one of their ships. Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of Carnival....lots of negative misconceptions...but the choice is yours...we much prefer Carnival to Princess. Better food, more to do, more lively pax. Most of these negative opinions are carried by those who have never tried the product.

Well...I've seen a lot of pictures of a lot of Carnie ships. You can look at a picture of something and know it's not exactly your taste. Except for that one mention I made, I don't think you can SERIOUSLY take any of the comments I've made as anti-Carnival.

GOD this is why I left Cruise Critic quite a few months ago.. You say ONE THING that could be construed as negative about a cruise line the someone loves and you're flamed to death. You've got to be kidding me. Good Lord.

So you've never looked at a bunch of pictures of something and decided, "Wow, I don't like how that looks?" I mean REALLY. Sometimes I think people "own a piece" of their favorite cruise line.

I think you should book the October 24, 2010 sailing and join me and my group of 40 somethings! I'm actually turning 40 during the cruise. Looks like a great ship and I couldn't beat the price for my first ever balcony.

Gina

It's funny you say that because my friend and I ARE considering the 10/24 sailing. Her sister is a teacher in NJ and last year we did the RCCL Liberty the first week of Nov and after booking, her sister said, "You DO know that's 'Jersey Week,' right?" So she told me to look into booking the week before Jersey Week this year because she's not a fan of kids, lol. Personally I didn't think the "kid factor" was that high last year but she's a bit nuts. So I priced 10/24 and it was the same price. ;)

Not me! :cool: If you're referring to the line as 'Carnie' :rolleyes: at every other turn, I believe you've already made a decision.

Enjoy your cruise on RCI or Princess. :)

Good Lord. Come on. Really?!?! Just because I said CARNIE? :rolleyes: I kind of just made that up because I thought it was a cute term. I'm so sorry if I've offended CARNIVAL in any way. I know how much the CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE means to a lot of you.

Good Lord. :p! If I was so anti-The Fabulous Carnival Cruise Line, I wouldn't be considering it, would I? Jeeeeeez, lighten up, will you?! Don't tell me to enjoy my cruise on RCI or Princess.

God I'm so annoyed right now I can't stand it. How dare you tell me I've already made my decision when I just asked this question today...if I had absolutely NO interest in the CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE, why the HELL would I have gone through the effing trouble of pricing it out?

AAARRRRGGGGGGG I'm so annoyed. Help me Lord...

To all the rest of you who've actually been HELPFUL and not flamed me because I thought the dozens and dozens of pictures I've seen of other CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE pictures weren't to my liking or taste...thank you.

No one answered my question about booking using the residency rate and then finding a price drop. With RCCL, if you see any price drop, you make a 5-minute phone call and you get an OBC. I've read in a few reviews that this has been a problem with CARNIE. Is that true? I'd like to book sooner rather than later in case they get rid of the residency rate but I'm wondering if I should wait, in case it drops. So will I get the money/OBC back with CARNIVAL as long as it's not the Early Saver price?

You actually have the price reduction classifications backward. If you book ES, you can get OBC at any time up until 2 days prior to sailing. If you book resident, you will be locked into that rate once final payment is made.

The lines are far more similar than different. In my experience, Carnival has bigger rooms than the rest of the mainstream lines. Food was better (in general) on Princess, as was service. RCCL was actually my worst experience as far as food & room size, but that was Grandeur so I don't hold that against all of RCCLs ships & I'm sure I will cruise them again.

The Legend is a fun ship with a great crew.... the urns, though are a bit much. It becomes a joke through the week. :)

If you choose Carnival, just go with an open mind & the intention to have FUN!

You actually have the price reduction classifications backward. If you book ES, you can get OBC at any time up until 2 days prior to sailing. If you book resident, you will be locked into that rate once final payment is made.

The lines are far more similar than different. In my experience, Carnival has bigger rooms than the rest of the mainstream lines. Food was better (in general) on Princess, as was service. RCCL was actually my worst experience as far as food & room size, but that was Grandeur so I don't hold that against all of RCCLs ships & I'm sure I will cruise them again.

The Legend is a fun ship with a great crew.... the urns, though are a bit much. It becomes a joke through the week. :)

If you choose Carnival, just go with an open mind & the intention to have FUN!

Thanks for clearing the pricing thing up. So now, apparently it becomes a crapshoot. Book now with the residency rate and watch the price drop and get nothing...or wait, watch them ditch the residency rate, and then pay more in 3 months than I would've paid now. ACK, what to do...this is the part I'm not digging here...what would you do? Book now? $700 IS good for a balcony. I priced a Princess balcony at $850pp...normally I go with a cheapo interior but a balcony's so nice...

I hope that you have fun with which ever line you choose! I love Carnie and will till i can afford any of the Queens! you will enjoy yourself as i do believe that you come with an open mind... oh and happy July4th!!!!

Thanks for clearing the pricing thing up. So now, apparently it becomes a crapshoot. Book now with the residency rate and watch the price drop and get nothing...or wait, watch them ditch the residency rate, and then pay more in 3 months than I would've paid now. ACK, what to do...this is the part I'm not digging here...what would you do? Book now? $700 IS good for a balcony. I priced a Princess balcony at $850pp...normally I go with a cheapo interior but a balcony's so nice...

The ES rate will be the cheapest. You can get drops on any rate you are qualified for - (for instance: resident, past guest, military, promotions etc...) The tricky thing with ES is that you have to be certain you are going. Read the rules carefully.

Selecting a rate type is tricky, unless you are certain on your dates etc... If there is any question, go with the resident rate. Both are a good value!

I'm so sorry if I've offended CARNIVAL in any way. I know how much the CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE means to a lot of you.

No offense taken here. I've no ties to one cruise line over another.

Don't tell me to enjoy my cruise on RCI or Princess.

:confused: How do you fault a person for wishing another well :confused:

How dare you tell me I've already made my decision when I just asked this question today...if I had absolutely NO interest in the CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE, why the HELL would I have gone through the effing trouble of pricing it out?

A bit brutal but perhaps you feel better after 'putting me in my place'. :eek:

Enjoy the day! :cool:

Sailed the Legend, loved the Legend, would love to sail the Legend again. The only time I felt crowded was trying to get into the MDR the first night when no one knew where their table was. Loved the itinerary, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and Caymen were all on my bucket list.

You would think that by some of the comments here, they think you were a russian spy, but the truth is Carnival is not known as the prestige cruise line, they are the fun ships. FUN!!!! They price themselves for the masses, not the rich, they don't advertise to the upper crust, this is bread and butter cruising for the soul. Go, enjoy, and if you don't like it, then go back to the lines that you know and love. And you will have something to compare it to. Either you get hooked on Carnival, or the price, or the itinerary.

I am looking to go to Alaska in 2012. A non Carnival line makes one stop that Carnival does not, and it's a place that I have on my bucket list. However, all of Alaska is on my bucket list, so once I did all my pricing, it just went back to Carnival. I understand having perks, but what is the goal of the trip?

Cruise happy, but I think you will love the Legend.:)

AmyBeth - one thing no one has mentioned here (if I missed it SORRY) is that some of the balconys are obstructed on the Legend - Cat 7A. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

I am actually on the 10/17 sailing and booked a 7A because the price was too good to pass up - $529 pp. From what everyone has said, you can see out just not straight down. Lifeboats come just below the railing.

Give Carnival a try. I've been on several different lines and liked them all. I just go with an open mind and try not to compare one to the others.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help and suggestions.

CruiseFromNY, I grew up mostly in Fresh Meadows, spent 6 years in Forest Hills, and am now staying with people back in Fresh Meadows again. The closest I've ever been to your family is I went to South Ozone Park a few times, but that's it. That's a part of Queens I don't know at ALL! :)

I'm thinking I should ask this question on the Princess and RCCL boards too. Of course most of you are going to encourage me to go on Carnival. ;)

I know there are Carnie ships I should avoid if it's my first Carnie cruise. Just like I would tell someone to avoid the Majesty if it was their first RCCL cruise, because it's not the true RCCL experience.

So far I'm gathering that the Legend is one of the good ones, right?

RCCL loyalist are going to tell you to not even consider CCL. My parents are in that group. I finally convinced them to try CCL, just to save some money, and they went on The Legend. I was prepared to hear how horrible the cruise was, compared to RCCL, when they arrived home. Sure enough, first words out their month when they got home was that the ship decor was just too wild compared to RCCL. When I asked about about the food, service, shows, they admitted it was all excellent. When I asked if they saw a ship full of drunks they admitted they met wonderful fellow passengers and were going to keep in contact with two other couples.

They have taken 2 additional cruises with RCCL since then but to my complete amazement, they have booked themselves on The Valor for December. When I asked why, they said "Carnival was much better than what we expected."

Try CCL, if it isn't for you at least you'll know first hand. You just might be pleasantly surprised!

Well it looks like we're NOT gonna go with the Legend, even though with all the other itins and companies I came up with, this one stayed at the top.

My friend remembered that the week I was looking into the Legend in Jersey Week and she doesn't want to cruise with that many kids (it's the first week of Nov).

We're not gonna pay the extra money to cruise during Tgiving.

I can't go the first week of December.

SO for about $75 more (with a serious downgrade in cabin...balcony on Legend, interior or Explorer of the Seas), the Explorer 12/10 has moved up to the top of the list. First of all, it's 9 nights instead of 7. Second, it leaves from NJ. She has to fly in from NM but now I don't have to fly. Third, I can cash in points and get $150 OBC with my Visa card. I just hate leaving from NY in Dec.

But the NEXT time I plan a cruise, the Legend will be near the top of my list again, now that I've learned so much about 'er.

Thanks everyone. :)

Oregon,

We will be on the 10/24/10 cruise too!!! Cannot wait - was on Legend on the 6/6/10 cruise and loved it. Been on 12 cruises (Celebrity, RCL (7!!!), Princess, HAL, other Carnival ones) and the food and service was the absolute best on the Legend. Had Your Time Dining and the hostess put us at our favorite table every night (table for 2).

Have a great time!!!

Debbie

Archived