Legend Question - 9 Cruises, Never Carnival

amybeth4

Hi! So I'm looking at taking my first Carni cruise (RCCL, Princess, NCL) because I can get a balcony guarantee for about $670pp.

Do you guys recommend the Legend? I've never been on a ship I didn't love, but RCCL's Liberty was my favorite, just to give you an idea.

It would be me and another single friend, both in our 40s. We're not wild partiers but we do like action, bars, music (just not the disco).

So what do you think?

I think you should book it! The Legend is actually my favorite ship! Everything about that cruise was perfect. It is the perfect size and the layout is great. There are lots of bars and lounges. We really enjoyed the music onboard. There's a lounge located directly below the show lounge - there was a band there that played popular 80s/90s music and they were SO good.

IMO, if you liked Princess and NCL, you'll LOVE "Legend". She's a great ship, with excellent food and service. Outstanding entertainment, with lots and lots of fun things to do. Crew is fantastic, staterooms a bit larger than most of the RCI ships, and now they too offer "your time" dining. (I personally prefer traditional, but a lot of folks like dining whenever they're ready) Bottom line, is that I think you'll have a wonderful time aboard "Legend".

"SKY"

Oh yes. Sailing out of the Port of Tampa is excellent as well. Great city, very good hotels and wonderful airport, which is only 4 or 5 miles from the port. Also, super embarkation/debarkation staff.

I'm reading through a lot of passenger reviews. Lots of good, quite a bit of bad. But I guess you can get that on any ship, really. (Although there wasn't much bad on the Liberty...nor any of my Princess cruises.)

I want to take the Carnie plunge but then again, I just turned Platinum with RCCL and also have an RCCL credit card where I can cash in points for OBCs. (That's probably my BIGGEST issue...but then again, the cruise would cost more, so I guess it balances out.) lol

sigh!

Oh, does Carnie give you an OBC if you book using a residency discount and there's a price drop? I think I've read here that it's a problem if you use the early saver rate but I haven't seen anything about the residency rate. That's another thing I love about RCCL. A quick phone call and you have your OBC.

I was off the Legend in May and loved it. The ship is great and has a wonderful crew. Lots of stuff to do for everyone. I highly recommend it for your first Carnival cruise. We loved how the ship never felt crowded/full even though we had a full sailing, of course we also timed it so that there wouldn't be so many kids which made it a very relaxing time.

Oh yes. Sailing out of the Port of Tampa is excellent as well. Great city, very good hotels and wonderful airport, which is only 4 or 5 miles from the port. Also, super embarkation/debarkation staff.

I like reading that. I've only cruised out of FLL, MIA and SJU.

I've also read reviews here where people say, "Embarkation was a breeze. We got to the pier at 11 and were onboard by 12." If you get to the RCCL pier at 11, you're onboard by 11:15!

I'm reading through a lot of passenger reviews. Lots of good, quite a bit of bad. But I guess you can get that on any ship, really. (Although there wasn't much bad on the Liberty...nor any of my Princess cruises.)

There's a link to my Legend review in my signature (with pictures). It's definitely not bad!

Love the Legend, love the western itinerary, too. In fact, we just booked another cruise on her for next year.

I did a review after last year's Legend cruise, with lots of pictures....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1057414

Enjoy whatever cruise you book!

NICE review and great pics. Thanks so much!

I'm thinking I should ask this question on the Princess and RCCL boards too. Of course most of you are going to encourage me to go on Carnival. ;)

I know there are Carnie ships I should avoid if it's my first Carnie cruise. Just like I would tell someone to avoid the Majesty if it was their first RCCL cruise, because it's not the true RCCL experience.

So far I'm gathering that the Legend is one of the good ones, right?

Another thread is asking for a comparison of the Valor, Glory and Legend and the Spirit Class ships seem to be winning hands down. Nice to read!

I may be tasting this fakakta molten lava cake after all...

I'm thinking I should ask this question on the Princess and RCCL boards too. Of course most of you are going to encourage me to go on Carnival. ;)

I know there are Carnie ships I should avoid if it's my first Carnie cruise. Just like I would tell someone to avoid the Majesty if it was their first RCCL cruise, because it's not the true RCCL experience.

So far I'm gathering that the Legend is one of the good ones, right?

Yes, I think the Legend is the best choice for someone wanting to try Carnival for the first time. The food and service was excellent. Also, I think a lot of people who typically cruise other lines are turned off by the decor on Carnival ships, but the Legend's decor is far more elegant than other ships.

Yes, I think the Legend is the best choice for someone wanting to try Carnival for the first time. The food and service was excellent. Also, I think a lot of people who typically cruise other lines are turned off by the decor on Carnival ships, but the Legend's decor is far more elegant than other ships.

I did read that on the pro-Legend thread, which is nice. I think Carnival's decor is horrific...but it's certainly the least of my concerns when booking a ship. I'd rather have a great cruise on a ship that looks like Vegas threw up in it than a mediocre cruise on a beautiful ship.

Priorities and all... :)

Hi! So I'm looking at taking my first Carni cruise (RCCL, Princess, NCL) because I can get a balcony guarantee for about $670pp.

Do you guys recommend the Legend? I've never been on a ship I didn't love, but RCCL's Liberty was my favorite, just to give you an idea.

It would be me and another single friend, both in our 40s. We're not wild partiers but we do like action, bars, music (just not the disco).

So what do you think?

I think you should book the October 24, 2010 sailing and join me and my group of 40 somethings! I'm actually turning 40 during the cruise. Looks like a great ship and I couldn't beat the price for my first ever balcony.

Gina

So what do you think?

If you are happy with downgrading you should enjoy yourself.You are looking at the Walmart of the seas cruiseline.You get a decent cruise at a decent price.

Steve

Welcome to Walmart:)

I did read that on the pro-Legend thread, which is nice. I think Carnival's decor is horrific...but it's certainly the least of my concerns when booking a ship. I'd rather have a great cruise on a ship that looks like Vegas threw up in it than a mediocre cruise on a beautiful ship.

Based on your comments, I think the ship is very important to you. Be sure to look at pictures of the pool areas, atriums, dining rooms and passenger tonnage ratio to compare to ships you have been on. To me those areas are very visually different.

I think folks who love the RCI ships because of how they look and rate that VERY high do miss them and tend not to enjoy other cruise lines.

How would you know "Carnival's decor is horrific" if you've never been on one of their ships. Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of Carnival....lots of negative misconceptions...but the choice is yours...we much prefer Carnival to Princess. Better food, more to do, more lively pax. Most of these negative opinions are carried by those who have never tried the product.

Archived