Nieuw Amsterdam

mef38

My wife and i are considering the October 6 sailing from Venice to Barcelona. Is anyone taking this itinerary before that date? If so we would love any reviews, both good and bad, or comments that might help us finally make the decision to book the cruise. It is for our 25th anniversary and are not sure if this cruise will be too exhausting since there are so many places visited. Thanks for any advice

My wife and i are considering the October 6 sailing from Venice to Barcelona. Is anyone taking this itinerary before that date? If so we would love any reviews, both good and bad, or comments that might help us finally make the decision to book the cruise.

The ship only started her maiden voyage yesterday, so there isn't too much in the review department yet, at least as it pertains to the ship. There is one thread on this site from someone who is on board. I suggest you read that, and look for more reviews as the season goes on.

There's also a few threads with pictures of the ship.

And, there may be some who have done this, or similar, itinerary on other ships. One thing I know about Mediterranian cruises---they are exhausting! But, you don't need to push to see and do everything. You can take half-day tours, or even take a day off from touring to rest.

Happy anniversary.

I'm booked for the 10/6 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. It will definitely be a very hectic itinerary, but i think it should be well worth it!

As others said, the ship is brand new, just been inaugurated yesterday! She's a baby! :-) Can't wait to see her in person. The few pictures that have surfaced look very nice.

I say go for it, it should be a great cruise. If you go to the HAL Roll call area you'll find the thread that encompasses all 3 legs of that journey, i believe the first is Sept 28 or so, and then 10/6 then 10/18 it goes transatlantic.

My wife and i are considering the October 6 sailing from Venice to Barcelona. Is anyone taking this itinerary before that date? If so we would love any reviews, both good and bad, or comments that might help us finally make the decision to book the cruise. It is for our 25th anniversary and are not sure if this cruise will be too exhausting since there are so many places visited. Thanks for any advice

We are booked on this cruise. It is a fantastic itinerary. Check out the cruise thread at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001936

Very nice group on the Venice- Barcelona leg. We are celebrating our 26 anniversary. There are allot of peoplelooking for private tour companions as well! Join in our sail away get together if you do book!

Happy 25th wedding anniversary to you both, a beautiful occasion that warrants a special celebration.

With minimal distance between countries and visited ports, the Med. and Europe cruises are just about all with very full schedules. If you want to cruise that part of the world, this is a beautiful ship and great cruiseline to do it on. The weather should be great and the summer crowds will be gone. Perfect timing.

As mentioned above, pace yourself. There will be some ports that you can just relax in, and do at your own speed and interest with no tour, just enjoying. Others, you may be on a tour but being driven around by someone else to various places of interest is a very nice way to enjoy an area.

You may also want to consider going to Venice a few days early to relax and enjoy, and/or staying in Barcelona for a few days after the cruise. We find that is a big plus and extends our vacation beautifully.

If you decide you want to do this sailing, please keep in mind that the ship is rapidly being booked up.

Hope to see you onboard. We're on the 32 night cruise - Venice to Fort Lauderdale and we're celebrating our 48th wedding anniversary.

Did a West. Med. cruise a few years ago and loved every bit of it. Check out each port you have never been to on the "Port" board of CC and decided what you "must" see and do. Plan you days, if you can, so that some will be very busy followed by a calm day (i.e. a tour in a bus etc.). For us though, this maybe the only time in our lives we get to some of these ports so we overdo and exhaust ourselves. Rarely do we come home relaxed! But then we also put our $100 deposit down for future cruises. We will never learn!:)

If you decide you want to do this sailing, please keep in mind that the ship is rapidly being booked up.

Ain't that the truth. Last I checked, there was 1 cabin listed in the VF category (VF4005), all S categories were closed. I'm presuming after 7/23 (final payment date) some things might change, but I guess time will tell. :-)

It's really bad that I remember what cabins are available, isn't it? I think I need to go to a cruise booking anonymous group :-)

We did that cruise last year and really enjoyed it...yes, it's exhausting, but so interesting! It's worth all the effort to "do everything"....we did 24 days...wonderful! Have a great trip on what looks like a lovely ship!

My wife and i are considering the October 6 sailing from Venice to Barcelona. Is anyone taking this itinerary before that date?

The first two sailings of the N.A. on that itinerary are Jul 26 and Aug 31. You might try striking up friendships on the two Roll Calls and get someone to promise you a review ... but by that time you'd be very close to Oct 6 and maybe too late for booking. :)

Highly recommend the Med cruises but they are very different from a relaxing Caribbean cruise. For our 30th, 2 years ago, we joined HAL for back to back Med cruises and we plan to do the Venice-to-Venice cruise again next fall (2011). So much history and many "must sees" on these cruises. I found the portion of the itinerary from Catania on to Barcelona intensive as they are heavy touring days, but you have a sea day before you begin that stretch. I totally agree with the suggestion of taking a few pre-days in Venice (take the train to Verona one day) and a day, or two, in Barcelona if you can.

Archived