Collapsible cooler?

Hi, I've been looking at Walmart, I saw one that is half collapsible, Is that what everyone is talking about using? What uses do you get out of the coolers, and do they leak when your ice melts. I'm trying to justify whether or not to bring one. The ones I have seen are soft coolers, is this what everyone is using? Thanks for any input and info.

I leave in ten days!!!

Yes, I use a soft-side collapsible cooler. To keep it from leaking, place a garbage bag in it before you put ice in it. For some reason most collapsible coolers I've owned have leaked a little except for one that DH's work gave him, but it is an expensive one.

I always bring one with me on cruises. They are great!!! They don't leak, but keep it on the balcony or in the bathroom if you don't have a balcony. They really keep the ice pretty well. It sure beats those so called fridges they have in the cabins which keep things just a few degrees above room temp.

We've taken one on our last 3 cruises. The first on lasted two cruises, got it at Target for $10. It would sweat a little but didn't leak and only sweat slightly so by putting a towel under it everything was fine. It finally started falling apart so I saw an offer from Omaha Steaks and ordered one from them. It looked a lot more durable but that sucker leaked like crazy. Had to leave it on the balcony when I didn't have it down at the pool and had to empty the ice and water out just moving it around. Will definetly get another cheap one from Target before we cruise again. The stewards kept it stocked with fresh ice and was much better than the mini fridge in the cabin.

Stretch

We bring a soft collapsible cooler with us on our cruises. The refrigerators in most of the cabins we have had (several different cruiselines) just didn't get drinks cold enough. Our cooler (Igloo) doesn't leak, and it keeps ice for a long time. I bought it at wally world and it has been on lots of trips, cruises and land trips. It will hold about 10 cans nicely iced or less cans and a bottle of bubbly which is how we board most cruises. ;) I bring extra cans and bottles in my luggage to replenish the stock daily. At the end of the cruise, I just fold it up and pack it in the luggage. :cool:

We now have two different collapsible coolers and just love the Kooltote brand! They are a little more expensive, but well worth it. We've had ours for over five years, taken them on airplanes, buses, RVs, cruises, picnics, and never had a problem with leaking or wear and tear. Fabulous product!

http://www.ezup4u.com/tote/kooltote.htm

I got ours at Sams, folded flat in the bottom of the suit case. Our steward would come in and put fresh ice in it. Never leaked or sweated..We left the drinks that was in it and he was very grateful!!

Great idea about leaving the drinks when you left. I will have to do this on our upcoming cruise.

I went to walmart and bought one this morning for $9.50 that holds 24 cans and has a hard liner in it (which I will leave at home). Just in the nick of time as we leave for san juan thursday!!! In the past we've bought a styrofoam one in our first port and used it for the week but it cost almost as much as this one that hopefully will last for a few trips.

I found one! I found a few at Target, after having no luck at Walmart. It's an igloo. It holds 18 cans (so it says), yeah, without ice. But the rounded top has it's own zipper, so it's sort of a seperate container, for sandwiches or snacks without getting them wet or squished with the cans. It is soft foldable material, except for the hump of the top, but I can squish it up pretty good to fit in a suit case, $12.99!!

Thanks for the ideas,

P.S. great bathing suits at Targets too, where they sell the tops seperate from the bottoms for only $14 to $17, for those who dont fit into the same size top as bottom, such as me! Bought one of those too!!

It costs around $25 which might seem like a lot, but it's almost set up like a rolling piece of luggage. The wheels are very sturdy, and the handle pulls up, much like a suitcase would. We've used ours not only for cruises, but going to parks, soccer and softball games (when it's our turn for snack), etc. Best purchase we've made in a while, and it does not leak!

Archived