Question about taking an infant or toddler to a show?

We will be on the Jewel and will try to see a show if the 10-month is having a good day. If there are lights and music he gets all excited and will enjoy himself so we'll be able to sit there and see an early show. If he starts crying at all we will leave.

My question is, is there a space provided in the theatre that you can leave a stroller while a small child sits on your lap or do people just carry their young children into the theatre?

Thank you.

We will be on the Jewel and will try to see a show if the 10-month is having a good day. If there are lights and music he gets all excited and will enjoy himself so we'll be able to sit there and see an early show. If he starts crying at all we will leave.

My question is, is there a space provided in the theatre that you can leave a stroller while a small child sits on your lap or do people just carry their young children into the theatre?

Thank you.

I think your question may depend upon the ship. I've noticed a few of the theaters have room in the front roll where you could leave a child sitting in the stroller. I've also noticed an area just inside the doors where people were leaving strollers on other ships.

I have cruised many times and have only seen one or two times where someone has brought a little one to a show. There isn't anyplace provided for a stroller except maybe the second level near the area for wheel chairs and walkers.

The last 2 times I saw little ones in the theatre and I think those were the only 2 times I witnessed this, one had to leave as they got fussy and the other got fussy, but mom and dad did not leave.

Nita

Thank you for the info. I guess we will carry him and once he fusses we do plan on leaving. No one, including ourselves can enjoy a show with crying babies.

Sounds like a good decision. Handling a stroller in a darkened room with steps, strangers and a sobbing baby doesn't sound fun. You will probably make a quicker, safer, less disruptive exit with a baby in arms. Hope you and baby get to enjoy the show.

You might be prepared for very loud music in some shows....high decibel levels are not healthy for infant's ears....just be aware and make adjustments if needed.

I would plan on carrying him in and getting a seat on an aisle, so any exit if needed will be easier.

You could always go and check out the theater earlier in the day and scope out good locations, etc. Depending on your toddler, I would also try for the earlier show in the evening.

Sitting near the aisle would be the best place. Yes, getting to the show early for a good seat is the best idea, but that will make his stay even longer.

Good luck

Nita

Our son is older than yours (he was 19 months when we took him on his first cruise in May) but we had the same concerns about taking him to a show: would he be bored and fussy or would he be entertained by the lights and music? We decided to try it out and went prepared with a sippy of chocolate milk (an uncommon treat!) and lots of Cheerios. My husband held him throughout the show and I was on Cheerios/sippy duty. The music and dance numbers held his attention very well, but the magic tricks, not so much. Whenever he seemed to lose interest in the show and wanted to get down, I'd offer him something, and it worked very well. He actually made it through the entire show! I was so glad because I think he really enjoyed a lot of it, and my husband and I got to check out some evening entertainment, too.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you may want/need to adjust your son's usual schedule while on the ship. We were convinced at the outset that we'd stick to his usual naptime and bedtime routines, but it turned out to be unnecessary. Naptime was close to his usual schedule, but bedtime was much, much later-- sometimes as late as 10 p.m. Once we got home, it was back to normal, and he had no trouble adjusting, so just try to go with the flow and enjoy yourselves! I hope you decide to give the show a try-- the worst that can happen is he really fusses and you have to leave (happened to us last week with Toy Story 3!).

Have a great cruise!

Archived