2012 Changes to Antarctica

FredT

Before I book a Holland Cruise, I am looking for a bit of reassurance. On this board (and elsewhere) I have seen mention that after 2011 the larger cruise ships will be restricted from close in Antarctic waters. Anyone know anything of this?

And while I am at it, what IS the percentage of ships that call on Port Stanley but can't go ashore due to weather in January?

Starting to drool a year and a half away......

FredT

This is correct. The larger cruise ships can no longer sail off Antarctica after the 2011 curising season.

If you are tendering at the Faukland Islands your odds are around 50% of the tenders running due to the high winds and sea swells.

Keith

OK... Now I am more confused than ever. Based on your comment (And similar ones heard elsewhere as recent as 20 minutes ago) Antarctica is a no go for any of the "mass market" lines. Yet Holland America is selling Jan 2012 trips there on the Veedham, and speaking to HAL sales reps (and their supervisor, and THEIR supervisor) brought assurances (and guarantees ) that that itinerary is good, and that there is no word of the ship being a no go.

(On the other issue, every one at HAL agreed that there was a "60-40" chance of no landing on the Falk ans that time of year due to weather...

Keith is correct. 50/50 may be optimistic. In 2006 Celebrity had less than 50% success in the Falklands. Now they don't even try. HAL may be counting on being allowed to cruise by Antarctica by using lighter fuel. The amount of fuel that the big ships carry can create a big problen to that pristine region.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3828

Steve Wellmeier, executive director of IAATO, told Cruise Critic: "This will mostly affect the large vessels that we put into the 'cruise-only' category (500-plus passenger vessels where no landings are offered to those aboard). Thus, companies like Holland America, Princess Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Crystal Cruises and Regent Seven Seas will be impacted, although some of these are looking at using the lighter grade distillate fuels and complying with the ban."

Holland America Line has issued a statement confirming it will sail in Antarctica beyond 2011, saying that: "As a member of the International Association of Antarctica Tourism Operators (IAATO), Holland America Line is in full compliance with all governmental and environmental regulations that preside over Antarctic waters."

Celebrity does go to the Falkland Islands, they had a 50% rate for 2010, and have 2 cruises scheduled for 2011. Also I believe Celebrity also uses the lighter grade distillate fuel while in Antarctica

Archived