Almost live on way to New York City July 13 2010l

capnpugwash

Nick Bates is the Master although there is a rumour that this is his last voyage and that he is leaving to spend more time with his new wife. I will try to find out more.

Please do Jim...it would be appreciated as I was given to understand that the Norway voyage I am on will be his last and he gets off the day we do. Plus I've been asked to drop something off to him when I board.

I really hate to see him leave as he's quite the most delightful Captain. I've never been quite so touched as last year when, after a nice chat we'd had on the crossing over, he remembered what little town we'd be passing in Oslofjord where my cousin waited to wave good by to me...and he blew the horn 3 times to him as we went by. He's a true gentleman and will be sadly missed by many I'm sure.

Do hope you're enjoying the return.....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Thanks everyone for your compliments and interest in the image I posted of the QM2 as seen from the Statue of Liberty webcam.

Really quite a wonderful webcam grab, bluemarble. You did a good job catching it just right. Welldone...it's terrific.

However, I have grave concerns, as reported by Cruachan, that Sir Martin, dastardly cat that he is, would actually go so far as to sell an American icon, a real icon that is, to be used as a garden ornament. Even for him that's going a bit far....:eek::rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

However, I have grave concerns, as reported by Cruachan, that Sir Martin, dastardly cat that he is, would actually go so far as to sell an American icon, a real icon that is, to be used as a garden ornament. Even for him that's going a bit far....:eek::rolleyes:

Well, he did give us the benefit of his mission statement on another thread. Strangely though it appeared to consist entirely of asterisks!

J

Yes, all that makes sense. But it's certainly not the Union Jack whatever else it is.J

In my haste to jot off a quick answer...and thinking only as a sailor...I think I created some cross cultural confusion. I did not mean the Union (Jack) Flag, the British national ensign. In the US, the "Union Jack" is a field of white stars on a blue flag, flown only from the jackstaff of a ship moored or at anchor.

From the resolution of the image, I can't tell. Technically, it could be a NYC or NY State courtesy flag also (different usage from the US courtesy flag on the starboard yardarm). Maybe the 'Cap'n' can enquire when the junior officers give their Bridge talk.

Sorry to make this more technical than need be...too many yacht clubs. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much Bluemarble for that wonderful image.

I don't know anything about flags, but I do think that Lady Liberty has decided to take a much needed vacation and is crossing to Europe on QM2 :D. It IS the only way to cross!

Denise

Pleased your well.

Capt Nick Bates is in fact going to retire, I though after the Norway cruise, august the 1st. he is going to live with his delightful new wife not too far from us in Devon, good luck and good health to them both, and patrick as well:)

The meet and greet was held but only 7 of us attended and I am certain that there are at least double that number on board. I didn’t go last week so it is probably not fair for me to comment. The afternoon weather was sunny and in the mid 70’s which could explain the absence. It is 7pm and the cocktail parties are halfway through, I think I will do what I normally do and visit the Chart Room rather than the party. It is not that I am unsociable, just that these functions are better enjoyed if you have a partner with you to share the experience.

I am looking forward to meeting the Chief Engineer at dinner, I may be able to ascertain some information about the Captain’s plans.

We had a delightful dinner, Mr Martin Elliot and his wife hosted the table and they were both charming people. We discussed a whole host of matters and he confirmed that Nick Bates is leaving in August, this is his last crossing. We also discussed the 7/6 day crossing and he confirmed that it is economically driven. Apparently to achieve 29 knots one needs to use the gas turbine motors which requires top grade fuel rather than the regular diesel fuel which runs the regular engines. It all makes sense now. He likes calm seas as it is easier to work and cheaper to run the engines. Nonetheless we got on ok over the meal.

The meet and greet was held but only 7 of us attended and I am certain that there are at least double that number on board. I didn’t go last week so it is probably not fair for me to comment. The afternoon weather was sunny and in the mid 70’s which could explain the absence. It is 7pm and the cocktail parties are halfway through, I think I will do what I normally do and visit the Chart Room rather than the party. It is not that I am unsociable, just that these functions are better enjoyed if you have a partner with you to share the experience.

I am looking forward to meeting the Chief Engineer at dinner, I may be able to ascertain some information about the Captain’s plans.

We had a delightful dinner, Mr Martin Elliot and his wife hosted the table and they were both charming people. We discussed a whole host of matters and he confirmed that Nick Bates is leaving in August, this is his last crossing. We also discussed the 7/6 day crossing and he confirmed that it is economically driven. Apparently to achieve 29 knots one needs to use the gas turbine motors which requires top grade fuel rather than the regular diesel fuel which runs the regular engines. It all makes sense now. He likes calm seas as it is easier to work and cheaper to run the engines. Nonetheless we got on ok over the meal.

Cap'n I hope that you're enjoying your QM2 voyage and would you please find out that since Captain Bates is retiring in August that who will be his replacement as Captain of the QM2 when Commodore Bernard Warner is on shore leave from the QM2. Regards,Jerry

Hi Capn, Pleased you are much better, enjoying reading your posts. How nice that you are on a hosted table. Is this allocation just random?

Looking forward to being back on in September.

Catherine

As i understand, it is the luck of the draw.

I went to the Commodore Club after dinner and forgot that we lost another hour overnight so I got to bed at about 1.30am so 2.30am in real time. I slept very well only waking at 9.15 this morning. That is so unusual as I am normally awake very early. I got to King’s Court and had coffee and cereal. I felt underdressed as about 60% of the passengers are dressed in lycra or spandex, they are all young and beautiful and jog round the ship. After eating I went out onto the Promenade Deck and I had to shelter by the door until there was a brief respite in the foot traffic circling the deck. I swear there were at least 80 people on the Port Deck at one time so I imagine the same number would be on the Starboard side. It was reminiscent of the great cattle drives across the prairies in the old cowboy films. Next came the four odd people who were walking against the flow, being cursed and harangued by everyone they bumped into. You had to be here to believe it. Weird.

Officers from the UK Immigration Service are on board and will pre-immigrate all passengers to save the hassle at Southampton and they view your documents on a deck by deck basis over 3 or 4 days. Very smooth operation really.

Officers from the UK Immigration Service are on board and will pre-immigrate all passengers to save the hassle at Southampton and they view your documents on a deck by deck basis over 3 or 4 days. Very smooth operation really.

What a wonderful assignment to have through a government job.

Wonder how one is assigned to QM2 duty?

The Cunard Enrichment Program as the on board lectures are titled is a very involved program that operates for several hours each day and a lot of the speakers are really interesting and the subjects that they deal with are quite remarkable. At least this true for about 25% of them, the remainder are all on board publicizing their latest DVD or book. Combine that with the street market on deck 3 and it becomes more of a machine to extract money from passengers. Last week there were 3 book signings one day, albeit by well known people but this is supposed to a luxury liner not a market stall. This week we are blessed with Dr Ruth, the small sex adviser and she has a whole raft of products from her published range, and they are all available at the back of the theatre. How very tawdry.

Tonight is the second formal night out of four that we have on this 7 day voyage. The sea has very slight white horses and the wind is perhaps Force 5 with a temperature approaching 80 degrees. We lose another hour tonight, so that is 3 down with 2 to go. Not too hectic then.

Yikes! Dr. Ruth has a product line??? I'm afraid to ask what products were offered for sale at the back of the theatre. On the bright side, at least they weren't offered for sale at the tables on Deck 3...or maybe they will be later in the voyage?

80 degrees sounds delightful! Enjoy your evening Captn.

Regards,

Salacia

Yikes! Dr. Ruth has a product line??? I'm afraid to ask what products were offered for sale at the back of the theatre. On the bright side, at least they weren't offered for sale at the tables on Deck 3...or maybe they will be later in the voyage?

Regards,

Salacia

So the sex therapist Dr. Ruth is aboard the QM2 for this crossing :eek: I remember that on Sunday nights back in the 1980s she had radio call-in show and I just had to tune in to hear people calling in to Dr. Ruth's radio show with such embarrassing sex questions that would even make a marine drill sergeant blush.Some of the questions callers asked were so funny I just had to laugh :D Regards,Jerry

I notice that we have Lembit Opik as a speaker on our 12th September journey.

(not sure which Smilie to use there ;))

Heywood,

We're on the same crossing, I'm quite looking forward to asking Lembit about his Asteroid theories, and who knows even the Cheeky Girls!

Sorry to lower the tone!

Gail,

Thanks for the wonderful slide show. I am really looking foreward to our world cruise on QM2 in 2012. I may watch the slide show again to entice me. I am booked on level 8, are the pictures you took looking ove the lifeboats on level 8? I am wondering if my view from that deck will be of life boats as I look forerward.

Alohaaa

Regards,

Salacia

Perhaps wrapped in brown paper :).

Eighty degrees almost mid-atlantic does sound very nice. Capn, I hope we are that lucky on the Aug 2 westbound. We will be moving a little faster since it's a 6 day crossing though.

Denise

We had a great dinner with the Chief Electrician Ciaran who was a very gracious host. He believes that the Captain is being replaced temporarily by David Wright but of course with the upcoming changes due to the introduction of the Queen Elizabeth all plans must be fluid so nothing is written in stone. This is my take on the situation, not his.

After dinner I went to the Commodore Club for a nightcap and realized that the foghorn was sounding, what a wonderful sound. Vision must have improved overnight as this morning, whilst the visibility doesn’t seem good the foghorn is sadly silent. We are doing 21 knots with a Force 4 and a slight sea. The barometer is steady.

We have two book signings today, Dr Ruth and the author P D James, relentless marketing.

Archived