Almost live on way to New York City July 13 2010l

capnpugwash

Are you saying that your doctor consult cost $506? Pretty steep!

True. But by NY standards, that might be considered a bargain. Besides, how many fully staffed medical units can you find on the North Atlantic?

Which reminds me, I must check my Cunard Care Insurace to see if such consults are covered :eek:

Whatever the cost, the main thing is to get well and feel better.

With regards,

Salacia

Today the sea is a little rough and a force 7 is blowing, there is not a touch of blue to be seen in the sky although if I really stare at the cloud there might be a bluish tinge, or maybe that is wishful thinking on my part. It sounds a bit like that. As the day progressed the afternoon came in with a bang, 15 foot seas and Force 8 to 9 winds, it feels like the North Atlantic again. I decided against going to dinner and had a toasted sandwich and a bowl of fruit from room service. The food was fine but rather than the 90 minutes that one might spend over dinner, chatting with your table mates it probably took less than 30 to consume it all. This leaves a lot of time during the evening to spend as you might imagine.

Overnight the sea has quietened down to a moderate 5 feet and the wind has decreased to a Force 5, a fresh breeze. The sun is shining and it is a great Saturday morning with a temperature in the low sixties, not quiet warm enough to sit out but ok for 20 minutes on the balcony. I have to visit the Doctor again this morning for a follow up but I am feeling immensely better in myself.

Hi Cap'n ,glad the weather and your health have begun to improve. I have been watching the webcam during your voyage. I saw the nice little white horses then watched as the sea got progressively rougher. This morning (Sat) it looked quite calm.

Feel better and take care of yourself. I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Denise

The weather today stayed on the calm side although the sunshine disappeared leaving another leaden sky, we are eating up the miles as we head west.

This trip is one of the “old fashioned” six day crossings which means that we do keep up a decent speed when compared to the vastly more pedestrian seven day crossings. On these shorter trips, given a little rough weather, it is quite normal to experience a sensation of raw power as the massive ship is cutting through the waves. On a seven day jaunt because of the reduced overall speed required this is totally missing and has been replaced by the thrust of the Staten Island Ferry, which to be fair does the required job but without any excitement. I still fail to understand the Cunard mindset to spoil this six day trip; it can’t be as simple as economics – can it? I don’t believe that passengers will be deterred from travelling as the new ones will know no better and the past passengers may not share my passion for the rougher seas and weather. Looking through 2010/11 Cunard brochure over 60% of the crossings are 7 days so I think that they believe the same.

It is almost 5pm now the sea is slight and the wind has lessened to Force 3. We are currently sailing over the Grand Banks area south of Newfoundland and east of Nova Scotia so the sea is shallow and thus warmer than it has been. This has encouraged Fog, which you may be aware is quite common here.

More later

Capt'n, how are you feeling? The heat wave in NY continues, so if you are not quite up to the tropics, may I suggest you rest in the comfort of the ship. I do hope you are feeling better. Are you feeling up to the return voyage?

Regards,

Salacia

CapnPugWash sorry to hear about your illness and I hope you are now capable of continuing to enjoy the crossing. If perchance you come across a passenger called Robin Gwynne (withwife and two relatively small children in tow) please look after him since it is his first ever cruise and also please give him my regards - we used to work together in Victoria.

Paul

Capt'n, how are you feeling? The heat wave in NY continues, so if you are not quite up to the tropics, may I suggest you rest in the comfort of the ship. I do hope you are feeling better. Are you feeling up to the return voyage?

Regards,

Salacia

Salacia

Thank you for asking, I am certainly improving and the medical treatment continues. The hope is that the return trip will provide the time to complete the recovery. I intend to head to the spa today if possible. I take on what you say about the New York weather and intend to meet up with a friend and head into Brooklyn to a cold bar.

Salacia

Thank you for asking, I am certainly improving and the medical treatment continues. The hope is that the return trip will provide the time to complete the recovery. I intend to head to the spa today if possible. I take on what you say about the New York weather and intend to meet up with a friend and head into Brooklyn to a cold bar.

Hi Capn. Glad to hear your health is improving. A cold bar sounds good, but then, after two weeks of unrelenting heat here, anything cold sounds good!

BTW, if (heaven forbid) you require medical attention while ashore, there is a decent hospital within approximately 7 minutes of the Redhook Terminal: Long Island College Hospital of Brooklyn 339 Hicks Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201(718) 780-1000.

Best wishes,

Salacia

I have always enjoyed the six day crossings, all of our 2010 amd 2011 are now seven.

as for the rough weather, after last year force 11, I say bring on, what a few that was:)

Was in that force 11 with the both of you and Capnwash. The Qm2 handled it like a trooper.

We are currently sailing over the Grand Banks area south of Newfoundland and east of Nova Scotia so the sea is shallow and thus warmer than it has been. This has encouraged Fog, which you may be aware is quite common here.

The webcam has been showing fog again today.

Hope you're soon fully recovered.

It is now 3.30am on the penultimate day of the westbound trip and we have had 4 hours adjusted out of the 5 required, the last adjustment will be made tonight as we make the final run in to New York. We still have fog present but there has been no sounding of the foghorn. I imagine that this is because there is a certain amount of visibility. It is a shame really as I really like the haunting and evocative sound of the foghorn rolling across the ocean. As the sun rises and strengthens, it is battling with the fog, trying to burn it off. The temperature at 8.30am has already reached 70 degrees, so it seems pretty certain that it will be gone within the hour. The day has passed without event, flat sea and no wind. No comment! The suitcases are beginning to appear outside the cabins so it must be true that we arrive in the morning in Brooklyn. My cabin is on the portside so I will have a good view of Lady Liberty as we sail in under the bridge, I always get a lump in my throat whenever I see the statue and that is as a non immigrant, so it must be great for those whose families made the journey in the past or maybe they have made themselves. It is one of the truly great icons in the world.

Capnpugwash, it is so good to hear your voice remarking about the fog horns and the dreaded calm seas --- and the Statue of Liberty on your portside. For some reason I have always preferred portside. Sounds like you are feeling much better! Enjoy your solo journey back to England. When will you next be on the Queen Mary 2?

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Hi Capn,

So glad to hear that you are feeling better - Hope to be able to buy you an adult beverage in the CC on the Nov 10 two day to Cherbourg - we were introduced to each other by rob6852 on that "boisterous" crossing last November.

Truly enjoy you missives, as I am sure others do - the last about Lady Liberty is especially touching.

Best regards,

Crane

It is now 3.30am on the penultimate day of the westbound trip and we have had 4 hours adjusted out of the 5 required, the last adjustment will be made tonight as we make the final run in to New York. We still have fog present but there has been no sounding of the foghorn. I imagine that this is because there is a certain amount of visibility. It is a shame really as I really like the haunting and evocative sound of the foghorn rolling across the ocean. As the sun rises and strengthens, it is battling with the fog, trying to burn it off. The temperature at 8.30am has already reached 70 degrees, so it seems pretty certain that it will be gone within the hour. The day has passed without event, flat sea and no wind. No comment! The suitcases are beginning to appear outside the cabins so it must be true that we arrive in the morning in Brooklyn. My cabin is on the portside so I will have a good view of Lady Liberty as we sail in under the bridge, I always get a lump in my throat whenever I see the statue and that is as a non immigrant, so it must be great for those whose families made the journey in the past or maybe they have made themselves. It is one of the truly great icons in the world.

Hi Cap'n,

It sounds like you had quite an eventful voyage. It is so nice to hear you are feeling better. :)

I suspect you will be greeted with exceptionally hot and humid weather as you walk around NYC. It may seem most refreshing to you to get back out to sea!

Have a wonderful trip back--and try to make it a little less eventful, OK?

Gail :)

The sea was quiet all night and we sailed under the Verrazano Bridge at a little after 5am, slightly early. The sun was just rising and there was a pink hue across the skyscrapers as though the scene had been painted by one of the French impressionist painters. Absolutely wonderful, I tried to take a photo but my little Sony isn’t up to it, not enough pixels or the wrong format. or perhaps lack of talent. As the youth of today say, Whatever!

We moored early and self help disembarkation commenced at 6.40am which is the earliest I have known. It is not hot yet but it is forecast to reach the high 80’s low 90’s but it is already humid. I am looking forward to meeting my friend and having a couple of beers and a chat. I feel much better now, possibly 75% which compared with where I was, is marvelous.

Capnpugwash, it is so good to hear your voice remarking about the fog horns and the dreaded calm seas --- and the Statue of Liberty on your portside. For some reason I have always preferred portside. Sounds like you are feeling much better! Enjoy your solo journey back to England. When will you next be on the Queen Mary 2?

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Don

I am back on August 2, then August and November for two 2 day trips.

It got hot during the day and local traffic was heavy, my friend turned up about an hour late due to the construction delays. He told me that yesterday was much hotter than today which horrifies me. 80 degrees is warm enough for me. We then went to Court Street in Brooklyn and found a restaurant that had been recommended. It was Italian and is called Queen at 84 Court Street. They serve fresh home made mozzarella cheese which was wonderful and then a full menu, we had Gnocchi which is potato pasta in veal and pea sauce and I followed with a fruit sorbet. It beats anything that I have had in Manhattan I think. It is a definite place to revisit. A fixed price menu for lunch at $26 including coffee is unbeatable. Anyway back to the ship by 2.30pm and no delay in reboarding. It is a very polished operation in Red Hook, I must say that it is very impressive..

Archived