Almost live on way to New York City July 13 2010l

capnpugwash

Sorry, to hear you've not been well Jim.

Look after the ship for us. Looking forward to this time next week when Norm and I will be having our pre dinner drinks in the Chart Room. Bad news is that Rachael is now 18 as well, so she will be running up her own tab!:)

Jane

It got hot during the day and local traffic was heavy, my friend turned up about an hour late due to the construction delays. He told me that yesterday was much hotter than today which horrifies me. 80 degrees is warm enough for me. We then went to Court Street in Brooklyn and found a restaurant that had been recommended. It was Italian and is called Queen at 84 Court Street. They serve fresh home made mozzarella cheese which was wonderful and then a full menu, we had Gnocchi which is potato pasta in veal and pea sauce and I followed with a fruit sorbet. It beats anything that I have had in Manhattan I think. It is a definite place to revisit. A fixed price menu for lunch at $26 including coffee is unbeatable. Anyway back to the ship by 2.30pm and no delay in reboarding. It is a very polished operation in Red Hook, I must say that it is very impressive..

Hi Capn. Oh I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better! I'm also delighted that you enjoyed that little Italian restaurant. Good thing you're back on-board as the temperature is rapidly rising and thunderstorms are forecased for this afternoon (which should provide you with a great photo op!)

Looking forward to reading about your homeward voyage.

Regards,

Salacia

Hi Jim...just catching up and see you are back at sea....sounds like a rather rocky crossing health-wise. Glad to read you're improved. Now make it 100% for the way back. I'm also glad my only visit to the medical facilities didn't end with a bill like yours...YIKES! It's quite a place though and nice to know it's there altho I hope none of us need it!

ENjoy the return voyage....looking forward to our meet in Hamburg very soon. You'll be pleased to see , if you haven't already, that someone at Cunard shoreside thinks we should be formal for that amazing Hamburg departure at 7PM....They must be kidding! With that exciting departure I don't plan on making the dining room if it's formal! Way too much to enjoy on deck!

Wishing you a better voyage home...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Wow, that seems like a very nice resturant . I'll have to check it out in the near future. I am really sorry about the horrible humidity this morning. I needed a second shower by the time I got to the office. Hope you kept well hydrated :D. I'll be flying over you on Saturday night to go off to Norway with Rob & Robin and Highly Sociable, et al.

See you in a couple.

Denise

Sorry, to hear you've not been well Jim.

Look after the ship for us. Looking forward to this time next week when Norm and I will be having our pre dinner drinks in the Chart Room. Bad news is that Rachael is now 18 as well, so she will be running up her own tab!:)

Jane

Sorry not to be with you all. Have a great time

Jim

Hi Jim...just catching up and see you are back at sea....sounds like a rather rocky crossing health-wise. Glad to read you're improved. Now make it 100% for the way back. I'm also glad my only visit to the medical facilities didn't end with a bill like yours...YIKES! It's quite a place though and nice to know it's there altho I hope none of us need it!

ENjoy the return voyage....looking forward to our meet in Hamburg very soon. You'll be pleased to see , if you haven't already, that someone at Cunard shoreside thinks we should be formal for that amazing Hamburg departure at 7PM....They must be kidding! With that exciting departure I don't plan on making the dining room if it's formal! Way too much to enjoy on deck!

Wishing you a better voyage home...

Cheers, Penny

quote]

Hi Penny, I have no intention on taking formal with me, jacket and tie should be fine, if not Kings Court or miss dinner and hit the Commodore Club. Thanks for good wishes

Jim

Hi, Capn.

I have enjoyed your posts from your last couple voyages and I'd like to add my best wishes for a pleasant voyage home.

Here is an image of the QM2 as she passed the Statue of Liberty webcam during your departure this afternoon. Not a great shot with the late afternoon haze and low webcam resolution, but I thought you just might enjoy it.

QM2_Liberty.jpg

Best regards.

I did the sailaway in the cool of the Commodore Club and had a very pleasant time meeting the staff and friends not seen for a while. I was on second sitting for dinner so was able to visit the Chart Room for cocktails. Very nice it was too. My dinner companions are 5 ladies and two men and it was a very amusing evening. We didn’t leave the table until gone 11pm. Our table is hosted by the Chief Engineer who I imagine we will see tomorrow on the first formal night.

Tonight the sea is slight with a Force 3 breeze, the temperature is still 86 degrees and it is 11.30pm, tomorrow’s forecast is for this to continue albeit cooling slightly.

Hi, Capn.

I have enjoyed your posts from your last couple voyages and I'd like to add my best wishes for a pleasant voyage home.

Here is an image of the QM2 as she passed the Statue of Liberty webcam during your departure this afternoon. Not a great shot with the late afternoon haze and low webcam resolution, but I thought you just might enjoy it.

QM2_Liberty.jpg

Best regards.

I think that is a great picture, one of the best in my view. Thanks for taking it and posting.

That flag showing in the photo, what does it signify?

Salacia

I'm prepared to be comprehensively shot down in flames here as soon as the rest of the world wakes up but, despite it's somewhat odd appearance, I think that that may simply be the Cunard house flag (which is what I would expect to see flying at the jackstaff).

There is strong back lighting that is shining through the jack and making it difficult to determine the design. The ship also clearly has a fair bit of way on and that is making the jack fly pretty vigorously which I think is what is giving it that slight swallowtail look.

Actually, having written that, I've had another look, and I don't believe it for a second. :D

Anyone got a better idea?!

J

There is strong back lighting that is shining through the jack and making it difficult to determine the design. The ship also clearly has a fair bit of way on and that is making the jack fly pretty vigorously which I think is what is giving it that slight swallowtail look.

Actually, having written that, I've had another look, and I don't believe it for a second. :D

J

Yes, take your tablet, the nice pink one, and have a little lie down.

A Concerned Gari

Yes, take your tablet, the nice pink one, and have a little lie down.

A Concerned Gari

It's the stress, G - the stress, the terrible grinding, stomach-churning, work related stress of being employed by the Department of Health!!!

Got any diazepam you've got no use for?

J

I'm prepared to be comprehensively shot down in flames here as soon as the rest of the world wakes up but, despite it's somewhat odd appearance, I think that that may simply be the Cunard house flag (which is what I would expect to see flying at the jackstaff).

J

Well, I must say, I have had another look and I am more than a little concerned. To heck with the flag--what on earth is the QM2 doing with the Statue of Liberty? I knew that there was a little dissention going on about BP, but that is a little over the top, is it not?

To heck with the flag--what on earth is the QM2 doing with the Statue of Liberty?

Sir Martin sold it to a bloke from Surrey who wanted to use it as a garden ornament. That's it being shipped over to UK. :eek:

J

Thanks everyone for your compliments and interest in the image I posted of the QM2 as seen from the Statue of Liberty webcam.

My first thought was that the flag seen in the image is the Cunard house flag, but as Cruachan indicated, it is hard to tell for certain.

Thanks everyone for your compliments and interest in the image I posted of the QM2 as seen from the Statue of Liberty webcam.

My first thought was that the flag seen in the image is the Cunard house flag, but as Cruachan indicated, it is hard to tell for certain.

I wonder if, as flagship, and having the Commodore on board, there is some subtle difference in the house flag. Maybe Peter, Gari or Pepper might know.

J

QM2 flies the House Flag from the port yardarm of the mainmast.

If following US rules, this would be the Union Jack on the jackstaff in port. In any case it shows that an AB was late to his post, as this should have been lowered as the last mooring line was brought aboard.

Commodore Warner disembarked on June 25th...isn't Capt. Bates the current Master?

Be well Jim...the Chart Room dispensary helps.

Cheers...

QM2 flies the House Flag from the port yardarm of the mainmast.

If following US rules, this would be the Union Jack on the jackstaff in port. In any case it shows that an AB was late to his post, as this should have been lowered as the last mooring line was brought aboard.

Commodore Warner disembarked on June 25th...isn't Capt. Bates the current Master?

Be well Jim...the Chart Room dispensary helps.

Cheers...

Nick Bates is the Master although there is a rumour that this is his last voyage and that he is leaving to spend more time with his new wife. I will try to find out more.

. We lose an hour tonight and tomorrow night which I always find difficult, especially after 4 hours on consecutive nights.

The ship is functioning as usual on the first full day; exploration and food seem to be the main concerns of most passengers. The weather is calm and we are mooching along at 22 knots. Temperature is 75 degrees. This afternoon there is the meet and greet of CC website members up in the Commodore Club at 2.30pm then tonight it is the welcome aboard cocktail party.

Nick Bates is the Master although there is a rumour that this is his last voyage and that he is leaving to spend more time with his new wife. I will try to find out more.

Capn'

Please try to find out more... I think Nick Bates is a great chap and it would be a shame to see him go.

Thanks!

Yes, all that makes sense. But it's certainly not the Union Jack whatever else it is.

J

Archived