Why Not More Mexican Food Onboard?

globe9

I have spoken. :D

Excellent summary! Slightly off topic: here in central NC our grocery stores have actually started stocking lard..you have to look in the hispanic section.:D

I LOVE to eat the semi-authentic food in Mexico touristy areas, but have never cared for the ships Mexican buffet. I can't wait to try the burrito bar on the Dream though :)

Ewww mexican food sucks arse! Asian all the way! It's healthier and tastier! Mexican food is filled wth lard,salt and nitrates! It's the only food I wont eat! The only good thing to come out if Mexico was the magaritta!

I don't think that Asian is an healthier than Mexican. Have you checked out the nutritional values of PF Changs lately? Rice is one of the worse foods you can eat. It instantly turns to glucose when you begin to digest it. There's some healthy foods in each category, you just have to pick which ones are and which one's aren't. I have to remain lo-carb due to being a diabetic, so many foods no matter what "brand"they are are off limits to me. I like it all!

Probably because everyone's idea of "Mexican Food" is different. I love Mexican Food at home but am usually very disappointed when I try it anywhere else. TexMex is not the same as California or Arizona Mexican and chains are something else all together.

not all mexican food is created equally-lol!

Being from So.calif we get the real deal so when i went to Wa State 12 years ago I was shocked almost 20 yrs ago i was shocked. My dad took me to the best mexican place in town and the step siblings were raving about it. I ordered cheese enchilladas and gagged they were so gross the sauce was different and the yellow cheese was too yuck! I also dont like mexican food from El Torrito, On the border or chevy's to me thats not real mexican sorry.

asfar as cruises I dont want to eat Mexican every night. I think one night at the buffet is fine. I like to try different food i normally dont get to try at home. Going on the splendor and I am looking forward to the burrito bar.

I don't think that Asian is an healthier than Mexican. Have you checked out the nutritional values of PF Changs lately? Rice is one of the worse foods you can eat. It instantly turns to glucose when you begin to digest it. There's some healthy foods in each category, you just have to pick which ones are and which one's aren't. I have to remain lo-carb due to being a diabetic, so many foods no matter what "brand"they are are off limits to me. I like it all!

Rice is not one of the worst foods you can eat and it is a life saver to those who need to be gluten free.Many websites give the same info found below:

Rice is the primary food for more than 3 billion people around the world. Rice is probably the most important grain with regards to human nutrition and caloric intake, providing more than one fifth of the calories consumed worldwide by humans.Rice is nutrient dense, contains protein and contributes over 15 vitamins and minerals. Asiatic children for whom rice is the chief food source have not developed protein deficiency disorders. It is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, which are the best kind, stored in muscles and used to give energy when needed. Harvard university did a study and found that those who ate brown rice regularly were overall less likely to develop diabetes.

Back to being on topic- there's nothing better than real Mexican food. Growing up in Southern California spoiled me. I don't know if cruiselines could manage to make it palatable - but it's always worth a try.

We like a decent "fast food" type place, Costa Vida, that is pretty darn healthy and tasty. The sodium content is at least reasonable, unlike most restaurants.

I loved the Burrito Bar on Valor last year and am terribly disappointed that Freedom in a month does not have one.

what are the tortilla at the burrito bar like?

Flour?

homemade style or store bought type?

is the tortilla thick or thin?

I LOVE to eat the semi-authentic food in Mexico touristy areas, but have never cared for the ships Mexican buffet. I can't wait to try the burrito bar on the Dream though :)

I've lived in the Carolinas for about 25 years and still haven't stopped at South of the Border. :eek: Have you tried their Mexican food and, of so, how is it?

When I was a kid and we had just moved from Oklahoma to Eastern Tennessee, the nearest Mexican restaurant to us was in Memphis, almost 400 miles away. Fortunately, we had lived in Beaumont, Texas, in a very poor area of town and my mom had some great "poor people's" recipes for Mexican food. Very simple, but delicious. When my three sons and their families get together (including 7 grandkids aged from 2 to 13) they insist on my enchiladas and I make 100 of them. What we don't eat for dinner are gobbled up the next morning as huevos rancheros. The enchiladas are basically just onions, cheese, rolled tortillas and a combination of enchilada sauce and chili on top. Then they're baked in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes to melt the cheese and soften the onions. The cheese mixture is half cheddar and half Monterrey Jack.

Agree. Just ordered 100 pounds from Berridge and BTDT in Las Cruces for about 4 years. Ever been to Chopes?:D

Don't think I know that place. It's been a few years since I've been there.

There are so many great hole-in-the-wall places! We liked Napalitos for green chile, El Comidor in Messilla was very good. My Brother's Place was our fave for red chile (the first time we went there I thought my wife meant her brother, who lived in Georgetown, Tx. !?!!?!?!?) There's a neat little "seafood" place called Mariscos that we liked very much.

There's also a little joint in a dead Whataburger called Sainz (sp?) that has gorditos that are to die for. If you can even find them here they're usually yucky grease bombs. My wife would like to move back there, but I'd weigh about 400 lbs. before too long, probably not a good idea!

JHC

Voted best in the Valley was my fave: Valle Luna on West Bell Road around 33rd Avenue on the North side. Everything they make is good.

Next to that: Macayo (where owner Woody Johnson invented the chimichanga). They have great tacos and they have a "Baja Sauce" that I believe is a combo of hot sauce, cream cheese and sour cream (my guess). It's creamy and good but with a kick.

There are several locations, but the original is on Central between Thomas and Indian School Road.

There is a Macayo at 59th Avenue and Bell Road, too.

Thanks,

My Parents do the 2 for 1 at Valley Luna every couple weeks,, I grew up in Phx and the big place back then was Carlos O'brians & Garcias but heard that neither are any good now. I havent been to either in years. Its also been years since I have been to Macayo's and didnt like it the last time..

Worst "Mexican" food I ever had was in Los Angeles, Ca. One of my faves is Chile Verde. The green sauce they served over the pork was a thick, gloppy, floury, paste. And it was tasteless [other than the pasty, flour flavor]. The restaurant was one in a local chain that I removed from memory, so I cannot warn anyone. But I hope I'd remember in future to avoid a repeat.

Thanks,

My Parents do the 2 for 1 at Valley Luna every couple weeks,, I grew up in Phx and the big place back then was Carlos O'brians & Garcias but heard that neither are any good now. I havent been to either in years. Its also been years since I have been to Macayo's and didnt like it the last time..

Carlos O'Brien's used to be my favorite place of all, but my daughter got food poisoning there (yes, it was proven) and I had a bad experience there, too.

Garcia's was good when the Garcia family owned them but when it went too big and they sold them to an outsider it went downhill. Now, the only good Garcia's is the one at 35th Avenue between McDowell and Thomas Road. They now call it "The Original Garcia's Mexican Food" and it remains owned by the family.

I've been on many cruises, and with the exception of one, they've all been to the Carribbean/Mexico. On all of these cruises, there was never any good Mexican food served(or bad Mexican food for that matter :) with the exception of the late night Mexican buffet one night a week on the Carnival ships(can't comment on other lines as it's been a while since I've done RCCL or NCL).

I've done the late night Mexican buffet once or twice, but I don't really like it b/c the lines of people lined up to eat this particular buffet are VERY long even 45 minutes before buffet is set to open(you'd think this would give them a hint as to how popular Mexican food is), and because while I LOVE Mexican, I really don't like eating all those carbs/heavy foods after midnight at night, just to go to sleep usually shortly after.

Would love to see more Mexican offered on the lunch buffet instead of all the Asian stuff and/or a Mexican place like the deli or pizzaria that is open all the time.

Does anyone agree? Do any other lines before Carnival offer this?

I enjoy Mexican food and have yet to really miss it on a cruise, Carnival or other.

Carlos O'Brien's used to be my favorite place of all, but my daughter got food poisoning there (yes, it was proven) and I had a bad experience there, too.

Garcia's was good when the Garcia family owned them but when it went too big and they sold them to an outsider it went downhill. Now, the only good Garcia's is the one at 35th Avenue between McDowell and Thomas Road. They now call it "The Original Garcia's Mexican Food" and it remains owned by the family.

I was in a Garcia's in Scottsdale about six or seven years ago and it was pretty good. Huge portions.

I love Good Mexican food , but have to admit I am not crazy about the Mexican choices in the buffets on the ships.

I have top agree , Taco Bell is freakin Alpo with salsa on it. Places like On The Border aren't terrible but "meh".

Now Here in Connecticut we are just a wee farther from the border than Cali, Arizona , and Texas :) But we have some small Mom and Pop, family owed places that are very very good.

One of the places has a seafood burrito with shrimp, crab, scallops and some type of fish that is outstanding .

I will never be accused of having a dainty appetite , but even I cannot finish it in one sitting.

Maybe plumbing issues or they want people out and about not inside their bathrooms all day/night....

Kind of a joke but add that food type to the heat and activity.... yeah well at least Im that way. :D

I can relate. I say no thank you to any more of the Mexican food.

Archived