Another Serenade of the Seas Review July 4-11, group of 9!

I know that there have been several reviews of the Serenade recently, but I thought I would try my hand at it. Also, we are a group of 9 people: my husband and I (40's), our three sons (22, 18, 15), our good friends (in their 40's), and their two sons (21, 18). I thought our perspective may provide some different information, plus it gives me a chance to document our trip!

Day 1: July 3, 2010, San Juan, Puerto Rico

We left for the airport (BWI) at about 7:15AM. We arrived at a satellite parking lot at about 8AM where a bus driver met us at our car, helped us to load our luggage, and quickly dropped us at Air Tran. The lines were very long inside, so we opted to check our luggage outside. This was a good decision, as they had a separate line outside for those who had paid for their luggage in advance. No other issues at the airport, and the flight left BWI and arrived in San Juan on time (about 3PM). Once in San Juan, we went straight to the luggage carousel, where the luggage was already coming out! Once we collected our bags, we walked to the taxi stand to find a ride to the Caribe Hilton. This was so easy, and the rates were as posted and as I had seen previously on Cruise Critic.

We had 3 rooms reserved at the Hilton, but at check-in time only 1 was ready. The other 2 rooms were not available until shortly after 6, but the Hilton was very accommodating, offering us both a bar credit and an additional 3 free breakfasts. (Our package at the Hilton had already included 2 free breakfasts/room.) We enjoyed our evening here, using the beach, pool, and gym. Later we had drinks (the pina colada, which the Hilton says was discovered there at the Caribe Hilton!), and had dinner at the Pina Colada Club. This is very casual, and the prices were not too high. The service is very laid back, and we quickly realized that we had to get in the relaxing vacation mode, and not worry about small waits! Our middle sons were excited that the drinking age in all the islands was 18. They enjoyed having a pina colada with us tonight.

The rooms were just what we needed, with 2 double beds in each. The beds were very comfy, and we all got a great night’s sleep.

Day 2: July 4, 2010, Serenade of the Seas, San Juan, Puerto Rico

At the Caribe Hilton in the morning, the adults had breakfast at about 7:30 at Palmeras, which is the buffet (first of many for this week!). It was very good, and it included fresh squeezed orange juice, which was outstanding. If you wanted to have mimosas, the champagne was there! We opted against that, as we had to make a stop at the gym after breakfast! We woke the boys at about 9:45, but when they went to the buffet, it was an hour wait. They came back to the rooms, packed, and then were able to go back to enjoy breakfast. Meanwhile, my friend and I asked the waiter to give us the boys’ bill up front, so that we could make sure all credits were applied at check-out. We did this while they ate, and we were ready to go to the ship at 11:30! Each family had their own taxi, since fitting in together would not work. I think I forgot to mention that we have some tall people in our group: one is 6 feet, 7 inches; another is 6 feet, 4 inches, and 4 others over 6 feet tall!

We arrived quickly at the pier, gave luggage (with a tip!) to the porters, and were pointed to a very short line. I really couldn’t figure out why there was such a long line of others, waiting in line with luggage. One thing that was different from our last cruise 2 years ago was that each adult had to complete a short questionnaire about if you had been sick over the past month. This had to be completed prior to getting into the check-in line. Maybe this was because of the swine flu outbreak a while back. Since this was our first cruise as platinum members (YEAH!), we were able to get in the priority line, but to tell you the truth, there really weren’t any lines! We were on the ship by 12:30 and so excited!

Our first stop was the dining room to see our table, as the last cruise they had us 9 tall people at a table for 8. Well sure enough, it was the same thing this time, but we were told we could see the Maître D at 2:30. We then had lunch at the Windjammer, and ate at the back outside. It was a little muggy, but the doors were always opening, thus providing us with A/C! Of course, I think everyone had the Honey Stung Chicken, and a few more the Fruit Tart. So awesome! Our rooms were ready when we were done, and some luggage had already arrived! We were on the eighth floor starboard side front of the ship. Parents had balcony rooms, with sons across the hall in interior rooms. Our room steward was Simplicio (not sure of the spelling). He was helpful and pleasant all week.

At 2:30, we had all of the boys come with us to see the Maître D just so he could see that we are tall! (Believe me, the boys were not happy about this, but oh well, we parents paid for the cruise!) Well, he did have a round table for 10 just inside the dining room on floor 4 to the right. The only drawback was that it was with only about 3 other tables in a private room. However, a door did open to the main dining room, and we decided that comfort was our main concern. We just always enjoy dinner every evening, and space was so important to us!

Back at our rooms, all the luggage was there! We unpacked, wandered the ship, and all met in the Tropical lounge for our ‘Mandatory Guest Assembly Drill’. When we arrived at dinner, they did have 2 additional seats at our table, but the head waiter was there and he quickly removed the seats when we arrived. Dinner was awesome with Vipin as our waiter and Kaduk as the assistant waiter. Our boys usually like to get several appetizers and sometimes even two entrees. Believe me, the food does not go to waste. After dinner, we talked to Vipin about this, and he said that he just likes to see people enjoy their food! The welcome aboard show was late tonight with the comedian Carl Banks. He was very funny! We (parents) headed right to bed, as this will be an active cruise for us.

Great, great review so far!!! We will be on the Serenade in 17 days so I can't wait to hear more about your trip and what is waiting for us :)). I hope you had great weather for your cruise! Look forward to reading more...don't leave me hanging..lol :)

DAY 3: July 5, 2010, Serenade of the Seas, at sea

This was a relaxing day. My husband and friend’s husband were up early for 2 classes in the gym at 7 and 7:30. Then my husband and I would wake the boys for breakfast in the Windjammer at about 8, and this became our pattern for the week. Of course, after breakfast the boys would go back to sleep, while my husband and I would walk on Deck 12!

Today the weather was beautiful, and after our walk, I found a chair on Deck 12 near the track by the Sky Bar. I watched as Captain Karin (the first female cruise captain) led a walk of staff and passengers around the track to show support for ‘Wishes’ which grants wishes for critically ill children. I know, I should have been walking, but I was silently cheering each time they passed me. None of our group could connect that morning near the pool, and just when we were about to (at about 12:30), a big storm came through. This was ok by me because I had already been in the sun for 2 hours! In another review I read that the ship really turned to one side during the storm. I didn’t feel this, as I was back in the room, but when I asked my husband, he did confirm that he felt and saw the ship movement, as well.

The adults all went to lunch at the Windjammer, and this was about the only time that it was so crowded that you had to find a seat before everyone went to get their food. This was definitely because of the rain and everyone getting the idea to eat at the same time. If you have never tried the pizza in the Windjammer, please do because it is excellent! That and a burger and dessert were very filling. Why didn’t I remember that I said after the last cruise that I really should not get dessert for lunch?! After lunch, my husband, boys, and I all hit the gym (my middle son will be playing college football next year, so his older brother encouraged him to work out!).

I have to say that I really enjoyed the balcony. Each afternoon I would spend an hour just lounging out there before getting ready for dinner. I think I forgot to say earlier that we decided on the 8:30 dinner, since this is what we have always done, and it really seems to fit our schedules: time to go ashore, come back to use the gym or pool, and then relax before getting ready for dinner.

Tonight was the first formal night, and we had to be ready early because my husband loves to take pictures. Then we were in line first to have pictures taken by the ship photographer on the steps in the Centrum. Next, we were on to meet the captain and to attend the party. The parties are always fun for us because we all usually go as a big group or at least a portion of us go. The underaged drinkers among us had the alcohol-free punch or soda. The rest of us had champagne, red wine, or the specified mixed drink. I thought that you could order what you wanted, but I did not think of this until the last day, and boy, was my group mad at me for not thinking of it sooner! I wonder if you can order what you want at these parties.

The formal dinner was fun, with one of our favorite appetizers: escargot! Yes, all 3 of my boys love this, as does my husband. Actually, I just tried my husband’s this time, and you can really just taste the garlic for those of you who are squeamish! Each evening my husband and I would order an appetizer, and then we would share a Cesar salad. The boys love Cesar salad so much that sometimes they would order 2. The boys rarely stay for dessert, but especially at the beginning of the week, the adults would always stay to partake! We just could not make the headliner show (The Three Tenors), which was again late after dinner. We later heard that it was great, but there are so many choices to make on a cruise, and we knew that we had a busy day tomorrow.

DAY 4: July 6, 2010, Barbados

Today we had a catamaran excursion booked through Shore Trips (I’m not sure if I am allowed to say this). We all had to be ready, including eating breakfast, by 8:30, as we had to meet our tour at 9 at the pier. This tour was through Shore Trips, as I said, but it was Heat Wave Sailing Cruises. They drove us a short distance to The Boatyard to pick up the catamaran. This was an awesome excursion. When we got on the boat (about 24 of us), we were immediately served warm banana and/or coconut bread, along with pina coladas, or shark’s breath, or any other of a number of awesome drinks, including bottled water and Caribe beer. We sailed past the beautiful Serenade of the Seas, and continued in the Caribbean Sea. We made 2 different stops for snorkeling, one of which was to spot some giant sea turtles, which we were lucky enough to see. They were so amazing, just absolutely beautiful and almost majestic, with their brown, tan, and white colorings. My oldest son was excited to see them as he attends the University of Maryland and their mascot is the terrapin! These turtles just swim right by you!

A picnic lunch was served at one stop, with fish, chicken, lasagna, pasta salad, regular salad, and coleslaw. I cannot say enough about this excursion. This day, in itself, just about made our entire cruise! The guys working on this excursion just always made sure you had a drink in your hand, and as we sailed back down the coast, one entertained us with his dancing. You could join him if you wanted to, but you did not feel pressured to at all. I just lay there enjoying the sun, and beautiful waters. We did all pose for a picture with the guys, which they were willing to do. Next, they brought ice cream around for all of us to enjoy, and this was all going on as we were relaxing and sailing More drinks were served, but don’t worry, they weren’t that strong. I am not a big drinker, and I was not affected by the drinks. Of course, I guess if you have too much, you could be affected.

When we returned to the pier, they told us that they could give us wristbands to enjoy the beach and rope swing which was right at the pier. Typically, you have to pay $10-15 for the wristband, so this was great that it was included in our excursion. The rope swing was on the pier about 20 feet above the water, and needless to say, the boys loved it! Even old mom (yes, me) tried it once, and it was fun. The sand at this beach was the softest, finest, whitest sand I had ever seen. We stayed for an additional 30 minutes or more while the boys enjoyed the rope swing. Every 15 minutes, vans would be available to drive us back to the ship. We finally made our way back at about 3:30.

The thing I love about the southern Caribbean cruise is that you are in the port each day for a good long time. Usually all-aboard isn’t until 4:30 or 5:00. The other thing we noticed is the early sunsets. The sun set every day no later than about 6:50pm. That’s just what happens in the summer that far east and south when the northern hemisphere is tilted toward the sun. It doesn’t adversely affect the cruise at all, though, because you are on the ship doing some other neat things when the sun is setting!

A few of us attended the production show tonight, which for the second seating dinner guests, was 7PM. The show was good. We then quickly went to the Safari Club to attend the welcome back party for platinum, diamond, and diamond plus members. We enjoy the parties, as I said earlier. It is a time for us to all gather with our family and friends. The boys said that they played pool in the Safari Club last night, and they were amazed by the self-leveling of the tables. They said that at one point the table was at a really odd angle, but the balls weren’t moving at all because the ship was at that same weird angle!

The boys are more comfortable in the dining room tonight, and have each asked for numerous appetizers. We also have been having fun with our bar waiter, Allan, who is from Dominca. He liked to give us words of wisdom, and we really enjoy talking to him. After dinner, we head off to bed to prepare for another busy day.

What a handsome group of guys!!

Keep the review coming. My husband and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary on Serenade in Sept. Can't wait to go...

We were on her last year and love it...

Great review of Barbados! We are doing a similar tour with Silvermoon and I can't wait!! I am so looking forward to seeing sea turtles and enjoying an amazing day on a catamaran :). Nice pics by the way..you guys look like a really nice group of people! Can't wait to hear about the other four ports :)

DAY 5: July 7, 2010, St. Lucia

When we arrived back from our excursion yesterday, we had a message that today’s excursion booked through the ship was canceled. We had booked the Pirates Tour (aboard the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean) at the beginning of April. We were so disappointed plus when we went to the excursion desk to book something else, there was really nothing available for a party of 9 people. Our accounts were credited for the amount of the tour, but we had no access to it, and I was upset that now I had to use the ATM (and pay their high fees) to get money out to pay for another excursion at the port. I tried to get RCCL to credit my account the transaction fee, but to no avail. I know it really isn’t a lot of money when you are talking about the entire price of a cruise, but it was just so frustrating to have the tour canceled less than 24 hours before we were to take it. On our last cruise we had a RCCL excursion canceled, so we really have not had luck booking through the cruise line.

This morning, my husband and I watched the ship dock from the helipad, and I recommend you try this if you are up at 7AM when the ship docks. After breakfast, we went ashore to the tourism kiosk in the middle of the building right off the pier. A very nice woman there put us in touch with Zion, who could take us on a 4 hour tour of some high points of the island, including the Pitons and one of the waterfalls. After gathering our party, we met Zion at the pier at about 10:30. He was extremely knowledgeable about the island, and gave us an interesting tour in a very modern clean van! I highly recommend him!

We drove down the coast, stopping at a banana plantation. Zion even bought us 2 bunches of bananas to try. They were delicious. We stopped at a few overlooks along the way with beautiful views. There were many vendors at each of these stops trying to sell you their particular item. A note of advice from Zion: don’t buy items at the first stop because the prices tend to come down at the later stops! Also, the vendors are definitely willing to deal. Along the drive, we saw several men with boa constrictors. Zion said that they go into the rain forest and capture them, so that they can have tourists hold them and then give them tips to do so. I’m not sure if it is right or not, but of course 5 boys want to hold a snake so we did make a stop to see one. We had awesome views of the Pitons, and the volcano nearby that hasn’t erupted in hundreds of years. Then Zion took us to a waterfall (I’m sorry, but I don’t remember the name). We had to pay $2 each to get into the waterfall area, and the boys dove right in. It was a cold water, water fall, but it appeared to be very refreshing. This area also had restrooms and a small botanical garden. The only downfall was that the drive back to the ship was about 1 ¼ hours, but I have to admit that it was relaxing to just sit back and enjoy the scenery!

Back at the ship, we had time to use the gym. I really enjoy working out and looking out over the ocean or a beautiful island. It has been hard to transition back to the gym at our hometown! I forgot to say that we were all given robes to use on the ship, since this was our first Platinum cruise. Later in the week, we all posed for pictures, and I will post one of them! Also, Simplicio (our cabin attendant) delivered RCCL pins for us! Only my 15 year old received a gift this time: it was a blue RCCL bag with a long strap.

We had an early show (7PM) tonight, which is great for us. The show was Jeff, the Juggler, and I believe everyone went and really enjoyed the show. Next, we wanted to try the Viking Crown Lounge, but there was a sign out front of the door that led us to believe that it was closed. Plus no one appeared to be there. So we went off to the Schooner Bar, which was awesome, because the boys and dads played pool. Dinner was awesome again, and I have to say that for us, dinner is just the highlight of the evening! We have yet to visit the ‘pay’ restaurants on board, as with the large group, it could get to be very pricey. Also, we just absolutely love the food in the main dining room, plus I don’t think we are very picky! It always seems like we have such accommodating waiters! After dinner, off to bed because we have another busy day tomorrow with an all-day excursion: Eli’s Eco-Tour!

Archived