more last minute questions for first timer.

odd man out

Our boarding pass says noon. Does that mean we can't show up at Canada Place before noon, or can we get there earlier as it will take a while to go through the process?

Also, how much luggage do you carry on vs check at the dock. My understanding is that our cabin may not be ready when we get on board. We will have a small day pack for shore excursions. Should I pack that in the morning with essentials to carry on? If so, what should go in there?

For boarding documents, all I have is the one-page boarding pass printed after completing the on-line check-in and my passport. Am I missing something?

My wife asked if there would be a naturalist on board for the days of cruising (Glacier Bay/College Fjord). She's a librarian and I'm a science professor, so we both like to know as much as possible about what we are looking at.

Finally, what is the tipping protocol for room service?

TIA for all the help.

Our boarding pass says noon. Does that mean we can't show up at Canada Place before noon, or can we get there earlier as it will take a while to go through the process? Boarding will likely start about 11.

Also, how much luggage do you carry on vs check at the dock. My understanding is that our cabin may not be ready when we get on board. We will have a small day pack for shore excursions. Should I pack that in the morning with essentials to carry on? If so, what should go in there?You should carry on your meds and valuable jewelry, cameras and laptop if you bring it. Your cabin will be ready around 1.

For boarding documents, all I have is the one-page boarding pass printed after completing the on-line check-in and my passport. Am I missing something?You may need your credit card.

My wife asked if there would be a naturalist on board for the days of cruising (Glacier Bay/College Fjord). She's a librarian and I'm a science professor, so we both like to know as much as possible about what we are looking at. People from the National Park Service board the ship as it is entering Glacier Bay. I don't know about College Fjord.

TIA for all the help.

Have a great time.

Should I pack that in the morning with essentials to carry on? If so, what should go in there?

Any valuables, and anything you'll need before you get your suitcases. That will likely be around 3:00p to 4:00p, buy may be later.

For boarding documents, all I have is the one-page boarding pass printed after completing the on-line check-in and my passport. Am I missing something?

Most likely all they'll need to see is your passport.

My wife asked if there would be a naturalist on board for the days of cruising (Glacier Bay/College Fjord). She's a librarian and I'm a science professor, so we both like to know as much as possible about what we are looking at.

Last poster told you yes for Glacier Bay, and we also had one in College Fjord.

We give $1 to $5 depending how large the order is, how accurately it is filled, and how timely it is. The $5 would be for a full dinner with everything correct. Make sure you have the money ready, as they don't wait around like they're expecting one.

TIA for all the help.

Enjoy the Great Land. :)

Our boarding pass says noon. Does that mean we can't show up at Canada Place before noon, or can we get there earlier as it will take a while to go through the process?

You can get to Canada Place as early as you like, but the ship will not be ready for boarding until noon. We generally like to arrive around 2:00PM as there is usually no line to speak of, we can get right on board, and our cabin is ready.

Also, how much luggage do you carry on vs check at the dock. My understanding is that our cabin may not be ready when we get on board. We will have a small day pack for shore excursions. Should I pack that in the morning with essentials to carry on? If so, what should go in there?

Keep all of your essentials with you. DH and I always have our own backpacks in which we keep all medications, a change of clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc, and of course, all of your boarding documents and passports or other ID. DH also carries his camera bag with him. It is really however much "stuff" you are comfortable toting around. And whatever you think you might need before all your luggage arrives in your cabin - usually around 6:00PM or so. Of course, it must fit through the scanner at the terminal (just like the one at an airport).

In addition to your boarding pass, you will need picture ID (passport, driver's license, whatever is required for your cruise - we always use just our passports) and your credit card (if you are using one for your shipboard account).

There has been a naturalist on board for the entire cruise on each of the four cruises we have done to Alaska. He/she will make themselves available for questions and will have lectures on board as well. He/she will be on the ship's loudspeaker system for your entire cruise of Glacier Bay with commentary on where you are and what you are seeing, as well as giving you information on the wildlife in the area. It is truly a wonderful experience and one which I know you will both enjoy.

The ship's library should also have many books on Alaska available for you to read as well.

Tipping is very subjective and has been the source of much disagreement on many threads on Cruise Critic. I can only tell you what we do. When ordering simply a beverage service (coffee or tea, soda or juice) we usually tip the person delivering $2.00. If we order a full meal, or drinks and hors d'oeurves, we generally tip $5.00. The cabin steward is NOT the one who delivers room service to you. These are usually some of the wonderful folks that work 'behind-the-scenes' and we feel that a nominal tip is in order. Others disagree. It is entirely up to you what you choose to do.

We build these things into our cruise budget and it imposes no hardship on us whatsoever.

Have a marvelous time! :):)

TIA for all the help.

Hope the above will help you out a bit! Smooth Sailing!

thanks

As for the tipping, I understand the variety of opinions. It helps to know WHO is making those deliveries (i.e. not your normal cabin steward) so we can make informed decisions.

I was hoping to get on ship as soon as possible so that we can eat lunch on board and explore the ship (first cruise, eh?). I didn't want to have to drag too much stuff around before the cabin in ready. I'm surprised that the luggage may arrive so late. That may affect what my wife wants to carry on-board (I'm pretty low maintenance). Our "carry-on" for the flight will likely be a good-sized suitcase. We don't want to have to pay to check two bags on the plane. I assume there would be no problem checking both bags at the dock and packing a smaller bag to carry on the the ship.

Good news about the naturalist/interpreter. Will take advantage.

I'm surprised that the luggage may arrive so late. That may affect what my wife wants to carry on-board (I'm pretty low maintenance).
In 10 HAL cruises we have never failed to get both our bags in time to unpack before the muster drill - ordinarily 4:15 for a 5:00 sailing. Maybe we've just been lucky compared to luvs2travl. :)

I assume there would be no problem checking both bags at the dock and packing a smaller bag to carry on the the ship.

You can check as much as you like. Some check cases of wine to go with their bags! :)

thanks

As for the tipping, I understand the variety of opinions. It helps to know WHO is making those deliveries (i.e. not your normal cabin steward) so we can make informed decisions.

I was hoping to get on ship as soon as possible so that we can eat lunch on board and explore the ship (first cruise, eh?). I didn't want to have to drag too much stuff around before the cabin in ready. I'm surprised that the luggage may arrive so late. That may affect what my wife wants to carry on-board (I'm pretty low maintenance). Our "carry-on" for the flight will likely be a good-sized suitcase. We don't want to have to pay to check two bags on the plane. I assume there would be no problem checking both bags at the dock and packing a smaller bag to carry on the the ship.

Check your airline's restrictions for carry on. Good-sized suitcase sounds too big for carry on.

thanks

I quite understand about the luggage thing. I'm the same way - DH is low maintenance as well, but I like to have my make-up to freshen up, a change of clothes in case something is spilled or dropped on me, change of undies (:o) - those kinds of things and DH goes nowhere without his cameras! We find that everything fits nicely into our back-packs and they are not too bulky to carry.

Your luggage will generally arrive between 5:00PM and 7:00PM. Remember that all the checked baggage must be screened before it is delivered. Figure 2 checked bags per person X 2000 or so passengers....that takes alot of time. Then - it is all hand-delivered to the various staterooms on the 6 or so decks of cabins using the crew elevators - it has always amazed me that they get it all out as fast as they do!

On which ship will you be cruising?

In 10 HAL cruises we have never failed to get both our bags in time to unpack before the muster drill - ordinarily 4:15 for a 5:00 sailing. Maybe we've just been lucky compared to luvs2travl. :)

You can check as much as you like. Some check cases of wine to go with their bags! :)

Yes - you have been much more fortunate than we have been. I can remember on our last cruise on the Oosterdam, we had our luggage around 5:00PM and we were thrilled. I don't sweat it - I know we'll get it eventually and have been doing this so long that it doesn't take me but about 15 minutes to unpack!

I hesitate to tell anyone what time to expect their luggage as it seems to vary from ship to ship, depending on the size and number of passengers. I tend to tell them more toward the later time - that way, no disappointment if it is not there at 4:00PM. On our first cruise, someone told us that our luggage would be in the cabin waiting for us, so we didn't carry on a thing. What a whopper that was, and I never let that happen again!!

We bring the wine with us - ;), so there is no waiting. Once on board - out on the balcony we go!!

Make sure you each pack a change of clothing in each others carry-on in case your luggage does not appear in your cabin at all. ...distinctive suitcase (pink flowers) handed over to porter at the same time as roommates. Both bags were spotted on trolleys beside the ship as luggage was being loaded. Roommates bag arrived just fine...distinctive pink floral bag was never seen again and it's been 18 months. Fortunately it was covered by insurance.

<snip>

Remember that all the checked baggage must be screened before it is delivered. Figure 2 checked bags per person X 2000 or so passengers....that takes alot of time. Then - it is all hand-delivered to the various staterooms on the 6 or so decks of cabins using the crew elevators - it has always amazed me that they get it all out as fast as they do!

I know, those guys really work hard. The lifeboat drill helps them get things moved by getting all those pesky passengers out of their way.

I try to wander by the "luggage muster area" on my deck to see if I can spot my luggage there. That way I know it's on the ship.

I didn't want to have to drag too much stuff around before the cabin in ready.

Since early embarkation started, most every cruise I've taken has had a place to store carry-on luggage until the cabins were ready.

It's a big help, especially when one travels alone.

My luggage has always been delivered at least by the end of muster, if not before. Frequently I've had at least part of it unpacked before I head to drill.

By the way...when you first get on board, if your room isn't ready, go to the Lido area and they usually have a place to hold your carryon luggage or whatever you feel safe to leave there. We've left our carryon, but taken our backpacks with us since we can still wear them and go through the Lido for lunch...or whatever.

You'll have a wonderful time! You're in for a treat.

By the way...when you first get on board, if your room isn't ready, go to the Lido area and they usually have a place to hold your carryon luggage or whatever you feel safe to leave there. We've left our carryon, but taken our backpacks with us since we can still wear them and go through the Lido for lunch...or whatever.

You'll have a wonderful time! You're in for a treat.

Well, this is good to know! I had no idea. Thanks, janmcn!

What about dressing for dinner the first day. Do you pack your dinner clothes in a carry-on? Hope the suitcases show up? Wear the same clothes all day?

We are on the Ryndam this Sunday.

No my carry on is not too big for the plane. Just a small rollerboard. I just mean it won't be a briefcase or a laptop bag. I always have the smallest carryon on the airplane. I am the one cursing the airline for not enforcing their carryon size limts when people are cramming their over sized bags into the over head bin.

What about dressing for dinner the first day. Do you pack your dinner clothes in a carry-on? Hope the suitcases show up? Wear the same clothes all day?

We are on the Ryndam this Sunday.

No my carry on is not too big for the plane. Just a small rollerboard. I just mean it won't be a briefcase or a laptop bag. I always have the smallest carryon on the airplane. I am the one cursing the airline for not enforcing their carryon size limts when people are cramming their over sized bags into the over head bin.

I agree about the over-sized bags. Someone at the gate should be watching bag sizes.

Carry on or checked may not matter soon. I saw a short item on the news tonight that some airlines are considering charging for carry-on bags, too. Maybe if they charged the people with the oversized carry-on bags you and I would have less to curse about.

Dress for dinner, especially for early seating, on the first night is typically a bit more casual than the rest of the cruise, because a lot of folks haven't unpacked yet. It is not unusual for passengers to wear the clothing they put on that morning.

We have always had our luggage in our stateroom before dinner, and we always book early seating.

I hope you have a wonderful first cruise! We will be on the Ryndam in September for her last visit to Alaska for this year.

If you don't mind me mentioning, one hint I wish I had known prior to our Alaska Cruise... as soon as the shops are open (they are never open in port) buy the book The Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton. It takes you mile by mile on your cruise and points out all the fascinating spots along the way with details, history, and photos included. Wonderful for the cruise and the best souvenir I brought home with me. To this day I will pull it out and cruise down memory lane. A great read and a great resource. :)

Archived