Curious about Carnival Spirit - Glacier Bay

K.T.B.

I posted this on the Carnival side of the board, but it was suggested I try over here as well. :)

Taking the year off from cruising to save up some money in hopes of taking this cruise next year for our 10 year anniversary. (Plus we're doing other vacation spots this year, so something had to give....) Has anyone here cruised Spirit? Especially Glacier Bay. Anything I need to know concerning flying into Vancouver? Where to stay the night before, sights to see while there, etc.

Reading the reviews is helpful, but it's far more helpful to get first hand experiences. I'd definitely appreciate any and all help. :)

Thanks!

There are quite a few reviews posted about the Spirit to Alaska. And lots of posts last summer from then current cruisers.

As to Vancouver, flying in, etc. You might want to scroll back through this board as there lots of posts that talk about that.

Kevin,

I am going on the May 11 glacier bay cruise on the Carnival Spirit so I promise to come back and post a review. I booked this last March and have been eagerly anticpating ever since. I can tell you that the price I paid booking over one year ahead is hundreds of dollars cheaper per person than the lowest balcony is going for now and I am in a 9a cabin (bigger than the regular cabins inside and on the balconey but not as nice as the category 11 suites.

I just made my final payment today and my agent was talking about how his clients did so much better by booking far in advance. We put $350 down per person and then had until now to save the rest. And since Carnival's allowed booking for 2005 Alaskan cruises in March 2004 (months earlier thant the other lines) I think that was another reason they were so cheap back then. So bottom line, book as early as possible for Alaska.

I'll let you know how the trip is in late May.

garycarla: Thanks! I've done a little looking here and there and plan to do more.

noodle: I'm definitely looking forward to your review! Hope you have fun. The "plan" so far is to book a cruise around the same time as yours in 2006. Our anniversary is end of May, so it all depends on the timing of the cruises available.

garycarla: Thanks! I've done a little looking here and there and plan to do more.

noodle: I'm definitely looking forward to your review! Hope you have fun. The "plan" so far is to book a cruise around the same time as yours in 2006. Our anniversary is end of May, so it all depends on the timing of the cruises available.

What dates are you looking at next year? Im seriously considering doing the May 10 2006 Glacier Bay Alaskan Cruise on Spirit. Im really just waiting to see what the pricing will be like.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been Northbound and Southbound and on May 11th I'm Glacierbound. heh

College Fjord is gorgeous, and now I'll get to compare Glacier Bay. Whichever one you choose, you can't go wrong, although I liked Southbound better than Northbound.

Both times the ship was wonderful, great service, great food, and very good company. All age ranges on the Spirit, as opposed to some of the other lines in Alaska. Our canoe guide in Juneau said he had groups from HAL and they put him to sleep--and they Crystal people WERE asleep. ;)

Definitely book far in advance if you want one of the three Glacier Bay sailings. My cabin has gone up $1,200 since I booked it!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Denise

Im 70% sure, waiting to see prices. Are you definite?

Don't wait - prices are out and some of the best rooms are already booked. We booked today for the June 21st Southbound cruise and several rooms we liked were already gone on the 3 dates that would have worked for us.

Ann

Not sure if this question is allowed... but when you all say we got a "great deal" what exactly does that mean? If you book a year in advance can you pay the same for an oceanview as you would later for an inside?!?

Can anyone post their exact prices -- what you paid and what the final one week before sailing price was? No need to post agent info. -- just an idea of exactly what everyone's talking about. Thanks. :)

Does Carnival have the Alaskan programme for Spirit in September next year out yet? There are four of us (my brother and his better half, me and mine) booking two balconies for a 7 day Alaskan cruise, and we're going to back to back it with the twelve day Vancouver to Hawaii run. (Hey, we're from Western Australia - the airfares are an arm and a leg, so we're making the cruise worth it). As we want to bang down a deposit ASAP, knowing the precise dates would be very handy indeed.

Also, the cabins we want to book are around about the 8D/8F classification. Is it worth reserving two specific adjacent cabins in this sort of range, or is it worth making a general reservation and hoping for an upgrade? Advice from your learned selves will be GREATLY appreciated!

The Carnival Spirit takes its last Southbound cruise on Aug. 30th then runs Glacier Bay cruises through September. Although September is not listed in the drop down box at Carnival.com, you can search on all Glacier Bay sailings and then scroll down the the 2006 ones.

We had an upgrade when we went on DCL, but since we wanted two cabins close together this time, we booked actual cabin numbers. I didn't want to take the chance on being on different floors.

Ann

DrVal: we booked in March or April 2004 for our May 2005 Glacier Bay/Carnival Spirit cruise. We paid $1134 including all port charges and taxes for a category 9a (a funky category with only about 8 cabins on the whole ship that are bigger than category 8 cabins but not as luxurious as the category 11 and 12 suites) These have been sold out for a while but last time I looked they went for over $1600 per person. We also booked at a funky time when this 9a category was going for cheaper than any of the regular category 8a balcony's and our TA was a bit stumped as they are usually more expensive.

Now, the lowest level category 8 available on my sailing is going for $1630 pp plus taxes and the insides are going for $1080 pp plus taxes. So insides are indeed almost as much as our cabin.

That being said, I think cruise fares have risen this year purely because more people are cruising. I figured, I really didn't have anything to lose, b/c until February 20, 2005, my deposit was fully refundable. So if I found another cruiseline or itenerary that I preferred, I would have just cancelled and rebooked. I could have cruised to Alaska for cheaper, but I really wanted Glacier Bay and to cruise in early May, so this price was the best I found.

Vermin: We booked two cabins right next to each other as the inlaws are sailing with us. I liked that I knew which side of the ship I was on (starboard) and that by going north, our balconey's would be facing land most of the time. So, you may want to book your cabins if you want to be near your friends and if you want to be on a particular side. I would think port side would be prefereable as you will be heading south.

Hope this helps in your decision.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, did it today. Booked the Spirit for May 10....2006. 425 days out as of booking. Ugh, long wait, but the price was definitely right. ;)

I was trying to look up pricing on this cruise today and I dont see it on the carnival site. I even went to other online sites with no luck. :confused:

I was trying to look up pricing on this cruise today and I dont see it on the carnival site. I even went to other online sites with no luck. :confused:

Not sure if this is against the forum rules or not since I am not actually naming a specific TA.... If I am, sorry. :)

Anyway, I went through a website called Cruise Compete. Plugged in all the info concerning the specific cruise I wanted and waited for the emails to come showing me various quotes. And if you don't like the whatever quotes you're getting back, there's no need to reply. Only reply to the one you want. Take a look at the site, it's a great place if you want to find the best deal possible!

Not sure if this is against the forum rules or not since I am not actually naming a specific TA.... If I am, sorry. :)

Anyway, I went through a website called Cruise Compete. Plugged in all the info concerning the specific cruise I wanted and waited for the emails to come showing me various quotes. And if you don't like the whatever quotes you're getting back, there's no need to reply. Only reply to the one you want. Take a look at the site, it's a great place if you want to find the best deal possible!

Thanks, I will check that out, wonder why its not showing up on carnival site. I know I saw it there a week or so ago.

Archived