Is Downtown Miami safe – questions ?

bodog402

Thank you very much for the offer to share your expertise. I will be staying at the Marriott, Biscayne Bay in March (fri & sat nights). Will have 17 year old DD with me. I've read that a metro-mover station is a block from the hotel. We've thought about using it to go to Bayside Marketplace for shopping/dining on Saturday.

Coconut Grove sounds nice too but I'm thinking the teen may enjoy Bayside more. She is interested in 'doing' Bubba Gumps for dinner.

Your thoughts on the metro-mover?

I had this same question. Can anyone help?:D Thanks in advance!

Hey Richbum.

I've done quite a bit of research and on other questions the advise on metro mover is okay during the day but avoid at night. I have learned that downtown doesn't offer much after close of business each day.

So, we'll try the mover during the day and cab it back to Marriott after taking in Bayside.

Hey Richbum.

I've done quite a bit of research and on other questions the advise on metro mover is okay during the day but avoid at night. I have learned that downtown doesn't offer much after close of business each day.

So, we'll try the mover during the day and cab it back to Marriott after taking in Bayside.

Thank you very much. Looks like we will be there before you, so I will try to stop back and update after our cruise. We did Bayside last time (just DH and I), but we were at the Holiday Inn POM last time, so it was just a walk across the street. This time, we have the kids going with us,and we are staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay and they all want to go to Bayside. We have a VERY early day that day, so most likely, we will be in bed early anyway, so no big deal about nothing to do at night!

Again, thanks for your help!!:D

Looking at booking a hotel for January 22, 2011 the night before our cruise and down to these choices. I can get the Conrad Miami for $161/night, the Hilton Dowtown for $139/night, or the Holiday Inn POM for $152/night. Which would you recommend and why?

Thanks so much.

I don't know about the other hotels but personally I would choose the Intercontinental (close to Bayside Marketplace) over HI-POM. For just a few $$ more the IC is sooo much nicer HI-POM= 3* IC=5* I just checked for 1/22 and you can get IC for $167.

Go to lastminutetravel and put in miami, dates, click search now, click box for downtown area, then you will see a list of hotels. Up at the top of the page is the website address you are on, find the number between hotelId= and the & sign, copy and past this number to then go to http://www.touricoholidays.com/en/Pa...calTgsProvider and replace the number in between with the cut and paste and it will show you the hotel you would be getting.

Good luck! Happy cruisin!

Suggestions take a cab for under $ 20 dollars and go to Coconut Grove and hit the area of CoCo-Walk area. If you are in a walking mood just walk one block west (east will land you in the water)

"will land you in the water"...or on my swim platform. LOL

I live here too. I am downtown every day and feel totally safe....during the day. At night, no thanks, especially around the Bayside area. Just outside of Bayside itself, at night, it is empty and often littered with people who resemble thugs. Not for me. My gut tells me not to wander around there at night on foot. I don't like to be followed in the darkness...once was enough.

Miami is full of "pockets" of bad places rather than many other cities which have a bad "side" of town. Coconut Grove, for example...as great as it is, if you cross that one street (is it Grand Avenue??), you'll find yourself in a whole other world and you'll know it real fast. There is a lot of drug activity over there, but on the other side of the street, you'll see folks dining on the sidewalks at the local restaurants which are nice. I'm in the very nice part of the Grove, and we've had two dead bodies float up behind the boat this year - we can't control what the tide washes in! One was just last week or so - cops knew the guy as being a crack head from that other side of the Grove. Stay in the boundaries as you see them - with the lively crowds, and you'll do just fine. To me, Miami is the neatest place I've ever lived and I absolutely love it here.

Archived