LOVED the Oasis!

Just off the 7/10 sailing! What a beautiful ship! We sailed with our parents in their 60's and our four kids age 11 - 18. Loved it so much we booked the Allure for next July! Never crowded except the one time we tried the Windjammer...learned our lesson and never went back. Plenty of other options (dining room for breakfast or Park Cafe our favorite!). Entertainment was amazing..don't miss the Aqua Show and Splish Splash the comedy show in the Aqua Theatre. Did the zip line, rock climbing, saw all of the shows, got off the ship for an hour and a half at Labadee and about five hours at Cozumel, stayed onboard at Costa Maya and had a great day! Loved the lighting in the staterooms, my time dining was great, wonderful service...just amazing! I would be happy to answer any questions if I can :)

Reviews like this make me more convinced that I need to try Oasis after my cruise on Freedom in December. I am really close to booking on Oasis for next May or June.

I think out of all the reviews I have read (many) there has been 2 negatives and they were just from folks that would be hard to please anyways. ;)

Oh my gosh we had sooo much fun! The Splish Splash diving show was advertised as a comedy diving show. It was held twice last week and we actually almost didn't go as we had not heard of it. We talked to one of the divers after the show and he said it was new and was glad we loved it. It is a fun, colorful show with more diving, synchronized swimming, gymnastics etc. The kids looked like they were having a great time and it was just as amazing as the Oasis of Dreams in our opinion.

I can't say enough great things about the cruise. We loved the food options, between the 8 of us we visited the donut shop, had corn dogs, pretzel dogs, paninis and roast beef sandwiches, ice cream (all this without going into the Windjammer!). Then of course we had to visit the jogging track which was the best we have ever experienced on a ship. No more waking up at 7 am to jog before the sunbathers took over the deck. We could sleep in and jog at 9:30! Then no rushing to sit at a chair and then take turns going to eat so one of us could watch the chairs...there were always plenty! The favorites under the umbrellas at the beach pool went fast but we really love to see the ocean so liked the deck over looking the beach pool where there were chairs available all day long (and a bar conveniently nearby for drinks and refills). Did I mention the soft stateroom lighting? There are little lights above the wall pictures that were just perfect. How about the soft lighting in the bathroom...no more turning on the light in the middle of the night. There is a soft glow that allows you to see where you are "going". Our kids discovered the closet doors shut themselves if you close them almost all the way they automatically close the last 2 inches by themselves. The Schooner Bar is huge on the ship, trivia was fun and the piano man was awesome! Our 18 year old was invited to be in the Best of the Best flowrider competition so that made his week. Our 16 year old met a ton of friends who she is now video chatting with. Our 14 and 11 year old played ping pong and golf and enjoyed the arcade. We zip lined and rock climbed and still had time to relax and read. Oh almost forgot...we rented one Royal Connect phone and a bracelet for each of the kids and one for grandma and they worked great! We could always find each other. The only issue with the phone was we could not answer a call from a stateroom phone for some reason but we had no problem with it otherwise and did not have to make a visit to guest relations at all once we rented it (we rented it as soon as we boarded in the jazz club).

Oh my gosh we had sooo much fun! The Splish Splash diving show was advertised as a comedy diving show. It was held twice last week and we actually almost didn't go as we had not heard of it. We talked to one of the divers after the show and he said it was new and was glad we loved it. It is a fun, colorful show with more diving, synchronized swimming, gymnastics etc. The kids looked like they were having a great time and it was just as amazing as the Oasis of Dreams in our opinion.

I can't say enough great things about the cruise. We loved the food options, between the 8 of us we visited the donut shop, had corn dogs, pretzel dogs, paninis and roast beef sandwiches, ice cream (all this without going into the Windjammer!). Then of course we had to visit the jogging track which was the best we have ever experienced on a ship. No more waking up at 7 am to jog before the sunbathers took over the deck. We could sleep in and jog at 9:30! Then no rushing to sit at a chair and then take turns going to eat so one of us could watch the chairs...there were always plenty! The favorites under the umbrellas at the beach pool went fast but we really love to see the ocean so liked the deck over looking the beach pool where there were chairs available all day long (and a bar conveniently nearby for drinks and refills). Did I mention the soft stateroom lighting? There are little lights above the wall pictures that were just perfect. How about the soft lighting in the bathroom...no more turning on the light in the middle of the night. There is a soft glow that allows you to see where you are "going". Our kids discovered the closet doors shut themselves if you close them almost all the way they automatically close the last 2 inches by themselves. The Schooner Bar is huge on the ship, trivia was fun and the piano man was awesome! Our 18 year old was invited to be in the Best of the Best flowrider competition so that made his week. Our 16 year old met a ton of friends who she is now video chatting with. Our 14 and 11 year old played ping pong and golf and enjoyed the arcade. We zip lined and rock climbed and still had time to relax and read. Oh almost forgot...we rented one Royal Connect phone and a bracelet for each of the kids and one for grandma and they worked great! We could always find each other. The only issue with the phone was we could not answer a call from a stateroom phone for some reason but we had no problem with it otherwise and did not have to make a visit to guest relations at all once we rented it (we rented it as soon as we boarded in the jazz club).

Glad someone talked about the Royal Connect phone....do you use this as a phone, or texting, how is it used. What is the cost of it? Also, have been getting conflicitng reports on the soad card...do you know if it is can soda or fountain?

Glad you had a great time...awaiting our turn!

The phone was $17.50. It can receive calls from other Royal Connect phones that are connected to it or from house phones. We only had one phone so could not text with anyone but texting looked like it would be quite easy. You can send and receive calls, text, locate guests and view the cruise compass. The bracelets are GPS locaters. They are a bit bulky (like a large watch maybe?) so our kids kept them in their buttoned pockets or strapped to their belt buckles...grandma kept hers in her beach bag. Using our phone we could locate the members in our party that had the bracelets. So when we got back from running we could see that grandma was at the beach pool and Brad was in Park Cafe and Allie was in the teen club etc...much easier than sticky notes everywhere. The bracelets are free. The cost comes if you lose one (we were told $100 for a lost bracelet and $1000 for a lost phone which is why the kids got bracelets not phones).

Soda refills were always fountain soda...the bar by the kids pool (aqua park) had huge glasses! Promenade Cafe was the worst place to go for refills as the specialty coffees took a long time to make so the line was slow...go to Sorentos instead :)

Hope that helps!

Great review! I love that ship! I had no idea about the closets shutting themselves. I also loved the lighting in the room, but I had forgotten about it. Your review truly shows that cruising (and the Oasis especially) can appeal to all ages!

First I had heard about the bracelets. Very cool!

Just off the 7/10 sailing! What a beautiful ship! We sailed with our parents in their 60's and our four kids age 11 - 18. Loved it so much we booked the Allure for next July! Never crowded except the one time we tried the Windjammer...learned our lesson and never went back. Plenty of other options (dining room for breakfast or Park Cafe our favorite!). Entertainment was amazing..don't miss the Aqua Show and Splish Splash the comedy show in the Aqua Theatre. Did the zip line, rock climbing, saw all of the shows, got off the ship for an hour and a half at Labadee and about five hours at Cozumel, stayed onboard at Costa Maya and had a great day! Loved the lighting in the staterooms, my time dining was great, wonderful service...just amazing! I would be happy to answer any questions if I can :)

You are just the person I need to talk to. How does Oasis compare to those Disney cruises that you have taken? I am trying to choose between the Oasis and a Disney ship. We have a daughter who will be 3 by the time we are ready to sail. Thanks in advance for the comparison! Glad that you had a great cruise.

Wow...that is a tough call. We cruised Disney with the kids for their first three cruises. In our opinion Disney is an amazing cruise line with so much to do for little ones. We had great experiences on the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder. Our 11 year old was 3 on his first cruise and he thoroughly enjoyed the children's program on Disney. None of our kids were big fans of the kids program on Royal Caribbean after cruising Disney. In my opinion I would sail the Disney Dream while your daughter is small and you can enjoy that cruise line then move on to the Voyager, Freedom or Genesis Class when she is older. Disney's service was unparalleled, the food was great, the ships were beautiful. We opted for second dining after our first cruise though because we found that after 10 the ship was really "dead". We had a great time and were able to relax and enjoy some time away from the kids. On our first Royal Caribbean cruise with the kids (Mariner) we spent a lot more family time playing golf, ice skating, roller blading etc as the kids did not like the kids program except for the 10 pm - 1 am $5 per hour "gaga ball" session. For some reason they loved that? Another great reason to sail Disney is their private Island Castaway Cay...paradise! The 5 night Disney Dream 2011 summer itineraries include two stops at Castaway Cay. That is why we are trying them again. Booked inside staterooms with the virtual porthole, cant wait to try the aqua duck and Goofy golf. Should be fun! Hope that helps!

"Oh my gosh we had sooo much fun! The Splish Splash diving show was advertised as a comedy diving show. It was held twice last week and we actually almost didn't go as we had not heard of it. We talked to one of the divers after the show and he said it was new and was glad we loved it. It is a fun, colorful show with more diving, synchronized swimming, gymnastics etc. The kids looked like they were having a great time and it was just as amazing as the Oasis of Dreams in our opinion"

Sounds great - thankyou for posting your review - do you know who the diver was that you spoke to? It wasnt an australian by anychance?:)

The phone was $17.50. It can receive calls from other Royal Connect phones that are connected to it or from house phones. We only had one phone so could not text with anyone but texting looked like it would be quite easy. You can send and receive calls, text, locate guests and view the cruise compass. The bracelets are GPS locaters. They are a bit bulky (like a large watch maybe?) so our kids kept them in their buttoned pockets or strapped to their belt buckles...grandma kept hers in her beach bag. Using our phone we could locate the members in our party that had the bracelets. So when we got back from running we could see that grandma was at the beach pool and Brad was in Park Cafe and Allie was in the teen club etc...much easier than sticky notes everywhere. The bracelets are free. The cost comes if you lose one (we were told $100 for a lost bracelet and $1000 for a lost phone which is why the kids got bracelets not phones).

Soda refills were always fountain soda...the bar by the kids pool (aqua park) had huge glasses! Promenade Cafe was the worst place to go for refills as the specialty coffees took a long time to make so the line was slow...go to Sorentos instead :)

Hope that helps!

THANK YOU SO MUCH....yes, it does help!

haha yes the splish splash show is new - a comedy dive show . heres a pic! I havent seen it so maybe crusingwith6 can fill us all in:)

Thank you both for the info!

Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise!! I just love reading all of the Oasis reviews...the ship just sounds incredible and I am counting down the days until our family sails her!

Thanks again for posting!!

The diver was from Georgia...I feel terrible that I can't remember his name. I did watch for Mowgli though. Actually I asked the diver from Georgia if he was Mowgli as I thought they resembled each other...he is your Grandson right? I remember reading that before the cruise and making a point to watch for him. I did tell the diver I talked to tell Mowgli that his Grandma had mentioned him and that she said "hi". Hope that was ok :)

amethyst365...lol sorry about that! I remembered that you were looking for pix of the show but got the relation wrong! You must be very proud they are a neat group of kids and so polite and friendly off stage as well :)

sprout76....we ran 4 miles each day which was 9.6 laps. There is a starting line then a chart that tells you how many laps to go for how many miles you want to run then up to 5 miles it marks the end spot for the last lap. Totally in the shade and not nearly as windy as running on the top deck. You run next to life boats but do get a partial view of the ocean on the sides, a great view of the ocean on the aft as well as the aqua theatre to the left if the curtains are open and if you are lucky someone will be coming out of the gym stairway when you are forward and you will get a bit of A/C as the door opens!

Archived