Oasis July 3 Review Link -- in-depth Review

I've written a fairly in-depth review of our July 3 sailing on Oasis -- the eastern Caribbean itinerary. Let me know if you have any questions. Here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=69998

Thank you so much for the in-depth review of Oasis of the Seas. From what I have read, before reading your review, I had a pretty good picture of what to expect on board. Your review put everything I wanted to hear about the ship into perspective, and from someone that seems to be very well traveled, also an important issue for me. I'm still not sure whether Oasis is for me, as I like sailing and the sea, but I feel that at some point I will try her out.

Thanks again for all the effort that went into writing your review.

Steve

Thanks for your feedback. I do want to stress again that any cruise enthusiast MUST try Oasis (or soon Allure) just to experience the unique nature of the ship and all the activities that it provides. Even though I do prefer the RCi ships that focus on the sea, I wouldn't have missed this one-week special cruise for anything in the world!

David

If I were to sail on Oasis again, or Allure -- which I think in the near future is doubtful -- I would definitely stick with the outside facing balcony cabin, in order to get the sea fix. We originally booked a Cat. D8 outside balcony, but had the opportunity shortly befofre the sailing to get a very heft on board credit and switch to the Central Park balcony, which we did. Frankly -- I'm glad we did because that option is not availble on other RCI ships and because it gave us a very unique perspective. But once was enough.

David

The issue of the outside balcony vs. a balcony facing Central Park or Boardwalk does not lend itself to an easy decision, even for those who really want to have a sea view. One of the things that's so unique about Oasis is the two internal neighborhoods. While you don't see the ocean from the internal balcony staterooms, the views can be very interesting. And if you can get a higher deck balcony near the aft of the ship overlooking the Boardwalk, you will have the added treat of seeing the Aquatheater shows from a very interesting perspective and still see the ocean beyond the stern of the ship.

In other words, if you're willing to experience Oasis at all, might as well take advantage of yet another unique design feature. For me, since this was probably a one-time cruise on Oasis (at least for a while), I'm glad we had the chance to sample those unique inside facing balcony staterooms.

David

I did respond to that review last night on that thread. Copied herein is what I said:

"Two points:

First -- if you read my review of the same sailing, you'll know that if anything, the staff and crew went out of their way to be helpful and personalize what could have been an impersonal esperience.

Second -- even on a smaller ship with much smaller staff, there will always be somebody who will be rude. that doesn't excuse what happened to you. I would have complained plenty about such outrageous behavior. But my point is that if you allow one brief unfortuante encounter like this spoil your cruise or stop you from sailing on RCI again, then you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. In the end, nobody was sick or had their possessions lost or ruined, so try to think about the good things and share more of that on this board. You'll probably have more fun doing it than using the forum to vent -- no matter how justified it is."

As you can see from that thread, the review in question elicited some very strong reactions --bordering on nasty. My view is that there are millions of people who cruise, and this wonderful Cruise Critic website is the BEST available opportunity for fellow cruisers to share views and have their qustions answered. People are entitled to their opinions, and this website would be useless if the folks who post here couldn't be honest about what they say. I don't think it is helpful for comments to get personal. But, as you can see from my response to the reviewer, I also don't think it serves a useful purpose for any of the readers to use these boards strictly as an opporunity to vent -- especially if they feel compelled to use a hyperbolic and, in some cases, inappropropriate tone.

Those are my thoughts on that review, for what they're worth.

David

Archived