Ambassador of the Sea Programme of PADI Scuba diving certification

elmwood

Our fifteen year old, although he will be almost sixteen by the time we travel, is debating which of the above to do on our Christmas cruise. He is fairly independent and worries that the Ambassador of the Sea programme might be too weighted towards the younger end of the age group as he doesn't see how it could successfully cater to the age group specified - 9-17 years. So, being a keen snorkeller and kayaker, he is thinking he would like to add another aquatic skill to his repetoire and learn to scuba dive.

Is there anyone whose children have done the Cousteau programme who could give me a little more information to help us decide?

We returned yesterday and there were about 10 kids on the cruise. Most were in the younger age range. I think your almost 16 year old would be too old for their program. Their dive program is excellent and I would strongly recommend this. Ideally he can do the class at home and the referral dives on the ship. I did 4 dives on the trip and they were spectacular.

Your son may also take a discover scuba class on board (about 2 hours including slide show instruction and pool check out) then he may take at least two dives on board including Shark Gallery in Moorea -- pretty good bragging rights when he returns home

Thank you Sita and Flightmedic555 for the advice. His perception that the Ambassador of the Sea progamme would be geared to a younger age group sounds absolutely spot on. It hadn't occurred to me that he could do his scuba certification before we went, but it's definitely something to look into as we have a really good dive shop in our town that runs classes in one of the local indoor swimming pools.

If that doesn't work out, the introduction to Scuba sounds great. Do they actually offer P.A.D.I certification on board as I thought I had read that they do?

Yes, unless something's changed -- you can get certified on board (but not sure I'd want to spend the 'book time' while on vacation.... esp. as a teen. Can always do the course/pool work at home and then do the 4 required dives on board (assuming still available); either way, you're in good hands with Domenic & his crew and the diving is fantastic!

Yes, you can become certified on board. I would suggest that he take the class at home. This is usually 5 or so sessions which include book time and pool time. At the end of the class an exam is taken. In order to now become certified you have to complete 5 dives in the "open water", not a pool. During each of these dives the student completes one or two skills that they have already learned in the pool and then they spend the rest of the time enjoying their time underwater. If the course is taken at home and the open water portion is done distantly, this is referred to as a "referral course".

At the completion of the referral portion the person is officially certified.

Archived