AARP discount

jdvmd

Looking to book a 3-night cruise on the Sky for Labor Day weekend. Upon looking at the NCL website, it appears that this sailing qualifies for a 10 percent AARP discount, not the normal 5 percent.

Went to NCL.com to check prices and when I put in the code (as indicated on the page detailing which special sailings qualified) PGAARP1, I am indeed getting a cheaper rate for the 1st and 2nd person. When I clicked on total price at the right of the screen, it is not giving me the special pricing.

I know you have to send in a copy of your AARP card within seven days. At that point, does NCL reimburse you the difference? We are at the "all due" point so that is the only way I can see them giving me the discount.

Also, can the Tropicana Juicy Rewards be used on this booking also? I would book with NCL to get their upgrade offer also so I am not sure if I am trying to combine too many things.

Finally, we have an AARP membership because my husband is 50 so we have the cards etc. I noticed on the NCL website when looking for the best price it asks if you are 55 or older. Could this be the reason that I am not getting the reduced price at the end? The price I am getting is the same as our Latitudes pricing.

Thanks for any info!

Good luck with that! This is what I got from our TA regarding the AARP discount: "That is the lowest rate for now. Under this category that you are booked there is no AARP promotion. If one becomes available I would be more than happy to offer it for you."

Even though NCL website says there is a 10% discount on our sailing.

We ran into a similar roadblock with the Tropicana $100 OBC. We booked too soon and with the wrong codes. Can't win! :rolleyes:

Went to NCL.com to check prices and when I put in the code (as indicated on the page detailing which special sailings qualified) PGAARP1, I am indeed getting a cheaper rate for the 1st and 2nd person. When I clicked on total price at the right of the screen, it is not giving me the special pricing.

The NCL web site isn't always able to apply all the discounts. I mostly use the web site to gather the information I need to make a decision and then call the 800-number to do the actual booking.

I got similar results about a week ago when I put in the PGMIL code. The pp cabin price included the military discount and the Latitudes discount, but it was not reflected in the total price. For example, with the military and Latitudes discount, the per person price was $1,784 but when I clicked on the link under My Cruise Summary the pp cruise fare was $1,949 ( + taxes) - which was the price without the military discount. Was this similar to what you are describing with the AARP discount?

I called NCL's 800-number, described what I wanted to do (right down to the cabin number I wanted), and told them that I was eligible for Latitudes and military discounts. I had to call twice (1st guy must have been new - the 2nd guy was great) but eventually I got the cabin I wanted with all the discounts applied.

I can't speak to the AARP question but we recently found out that we can get a discount on NCL for being in a union. Even retired union members like my DH. Every bit of a discount helps! Good luck.

Cruise we booked recently qualified for the AARP discount as well as the upgrade to balcony from oceanview. At first our agent could not get both to work and tried to convince me one could not do both. I insisted, she called NCL, and finally had to drop Latitudes discount (?) to get both to work. However, it was still not quite 10% off - about $18/person higher than I calculated. I called NCL and was told the promo was up to 10% and the per cent goes down as cruise nears - we are 5 months out. Looking back at the NCL website it states 10% and our cruise was on a list they posted with 10% off listed. I gave up, booked it, and figured I had spent enough time arguing over $36. We did book through the Discover Card TA so will get another $120 off through that promo.

The NCL web site isn't always able to apply all the discounts. I mostly use the web site to gather the information I need to make a decision and then call the 800-number to do the actual booking.

I got similar results about a week ago when I put in the PGMIL code. The pp cabin price included the military discount and the Latitudes discount, but it was not reflected in the total price. For example, with the military and Latitudes discount, the per person price was $1,784 but when I clicked on the link under My Cruise Summary the pp cruise fare was $1,949 ( + taxes) - which was the price without the military discount. Was this similar to what you are describing with the AARP discount?

This is exactly what happened when I tried to book. I will call NCL. Thanks.

Cruise we booked recently qualified for the AARP discount as well as the upgrade to balcony from oceanview. At first our agent could not get both to work and tried to convince me one could not do both. I insisted, she called NCL, and finally had to drop Latitudes discount (?) to get both to work. However, it was still not quite 10% off - about $18/person higher than I calculated. I called NCL and was told the promo was up to 10% and the per cent goes down as cruise nears - we are 5 months out. Looking back at the NCL website it states 10% and our cruise was on a list they posted with 10% off listed. I gave up, booked it, and figured I had spent enough time arguing over $36. We did book through the Discover Card TA so will get another $120 off through that promo.

I bet this is what is happening when I try to book. I will just call NCL and see what happens.

Next question: I am not familar with the Discover Card promo. Can you fill me in?

Thanks. BTW, I love your CC name. We are Kentucky alum.

I discovered that the AARP discount isn't on the entire fare amount (even before taxes). Instead, it's only on a portion of it-- might be the "commissionable" part, but I'm not positive.

Heck, I got money off-- that's all that matters. I'm not going to quibble for a couple more bucks.

I found the discount a day or so after we booked, but I sent a scanned copy of my AARP card via email to promotionssupport@ncl.com, mentioning my reservation number and the promotion code PGAARP.

Next question: I am not familar with the Discover Card promo.

I got excited about using our Discover Card for a discount, too, since final payment is due soon on one of our cruises. However, in reading the post again, it says Discover Card TA and we're booked direct with NCL.

I bet this is what is happening when I try to book. I will just call NCL and see what happens.

Next question: I am not familar with the Discover Card promo. Can you fill me in?

Thanks. BTW, I love your CC name. We are Kentucky alum.

Discover Card deal is if you have Cashback Bonus Dollars. Go to Cashback Bonus on their website, select Partner Gift Cards, then Travel - there are 6 cruise lines including NCL. You must book through the TA they use - I did my homework and they met the price I had gotten through other sources. We are using $60 Cashback Bonus Dollars to get $120 off our cruise. Various discounts are offered based on length of cruise and cabin category. We figure we are saving $60 since the Cashback Dollars could be given as a cash reward but by using this offer we doubled the reward.

We are UK alums - HUGE Wildcat Fans :D Really enjoyed last season - hope next one will be just as exciting!

Peggy

I just booked last night and THEN saw the AARP info. I called NCL and they said that it couldn't be applied with the Latitudes member discount.

When we booked a couple of weeks ago, you could not do both either but the AARP was better than Latitudes.

I can't speak to the AARP question but we recently found out that we can get a discount on NCL for being in a union. Even retired union members like my DH. Every bit of a discount helps! Good luck.

When we booked, the AARP and the Union discount were both the same amount and you could only do one. To check to see if your cruise qualifies for these discounts and the % discount - go to NCL.com, look on the bottom of the page under Preferred Programs, select Union Plus or AARP. On both of these pages there is a link to download a list of all sailings that qualify.

Archived