$2.00 email messages

Pearl64

Could those who have sailed on Oceania before enlighten me on this $2.00 email messages? From what I understand one can send and/or receive email messages for $2.00 each. How does this work? I do not want to purchase internet on the ship as it is too costly. I will have my iPhone with me but am just planning on getting a small international data package for use on shore. I also will be using WiFi spots on shore and away from the ship. How does someone send you an email message and that you will be able to receive it? How do we know that we have a message? I am just looking for a way that my family can contact me on the ship in an emergency. Also, what is the email address on the ship? We received our Oceania booklet but a lot of the information is wrong such as the embarkation point to be specific. Another fellow cruiser received an email that had a different email address to be used at sea from what is in the booklet. Just trying to get my ducks in order.

Thanks.

Pearl

It refers to the Oceania email address that is assigned for use on the ship but only IF you wish to use it.

Based on what you've described it will not be relevant to you as you can continue to receive email at your "normal" address while traveling.

Could those who have sailed on Oceania before enlighten me on this $2.00 email messages? From what I understand one can send and/or receive email messages for $2.00 each. How does this work? I do not want to purchase internet on the ship as it is too costly. I will have my iPhone with me but am just planning on getting a small international data package for use on shore. I also will be using WiFi spots on shore and away from the ship. How does someone send you an email message and that you will be able to receive it? How do we know that we have a message? I am just looking for a way that my family can contact me on the ship in an emergency. Also, what is the email address on the ship? We received our Oceania booklet but a lot of the information is wrong such as the embarkation point to be specific. Another fellow cruiser received an email that had a different email address to be used at sea from what is in the booklet. Just trying to get my ducks in order.

Thanks.

Pearl

Pearl-

The email address for the ship is different from the service that you are asking about.

When your cruise starts, each passenger is automatically assigned an email address (typically your name at Oceania@Sea) even if you do not choose to use it. The specifics of that address WILL BE INCLUDED with your DOCUMENTS after you make final payment.

When a message is received at that address, a notice is posted on a bulletin board outside the computer room. If you see your name there, you may check the message immediately; alternatively, a hard copy of the message will be delivered to your stateroom within a few hours.

We have used this service many times, and it is very reliable.

Hope that this helped-

Stan & Jim

Alas, the $2 fee per e-mail is no longer available. On my Regatta cruise, beginning on June 30th, the ship was converted to a new fee structure. Passengers received a letter in their cabins apologizing that the e-mail addresses provided prior to sailing were no longer valid. This caused much consternation as these addresses had been given to business and personal contacts as a way to be reached while on board. Now one must purchase internet minutes, a more costly way to communicate!

Unless it is a very new policy, the message will NOT be printed and delivered to your stateroom.

As mentioned the address is FirstLast@<shipname>.oceaniaatsea.com. You are charged $2.00 for each address sent to for the first 1MB of data, then $1.00 for each additional MB (so don't send pictures).

You are also charged $q.00 for each message received ... so don't forward your office inbox to the ship.

(-: Jack

Alas, the $2 fee per e-mail is no longer available. On my Regatta cruise, beginning on June 30th, the ship was converted to a new fee structure. Passengers received a letter in their cabins apologizing that the e-mail addresses provided prior to sailing were no longer valid. This caused much consternation as these addresses had been given to business and personal contacts as a way to be reached while on board. Now one must purchase internet minutes, a more costly way to communicate!

Really! Wow. I got off the Regatta on the 30th of June so we had still the $2 email address. I remember them talking about a new internet provider for the next cruise -- I hope it is much better than the old one or we will be doing all our internet in ports.

We just received our cruise package 3 days ago (54 days before the cruise start date:)). The Oceania@Sea email address given to us is: first intial last name at nautica.cruisemail.net.

It looks like the Nautica has switched to the new system.

Pearl-

The email address for the ship is different from the service that you are asking about.

When your cruise starts, each passenger is automatically assigned an email address (typically your name at Oceania@Sea) even if you do not choose to use it. The specifics of that address WILL BE INCLUDED with your DOCUMENTS after you make final payment.

When a message is received at that address, a notice is posted on a bulletin board outside the computer room. If you see your name there, you may check the message immediately; alternatively, a hard copy of the message will be delivered to your stateroom within a few hours.

We have used this service many times, and it is very reliable.

Hope that this helped-

Stan & Jim

We just received our cruise package 3 days ago (54 days before the cruise start date:)). The Oceania@Sea email address given to us is: first intial last name at nautica.cruisemail.net.

It looks like the Nautica has switched to the new system.

Rocket:

Did your documents include the internet price structure? It's been well documented that everyone finds the prices high. Will this be a better or worse deal for the passengers.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Rocket:

Did your documents include the internet price structure? It's been well documented that everyone finds the prices high. Will this be a better or worse deal for the passengers.

Thanks,

Marilyn

No. I would think that with the network change over being so recent and the Nautica just coming out of drydock that the marketing department is behind in their efforts. The CC boards have prepared me for what to expect on Oceania, I have done my homework and know that I should not expect perfection, I really won't need the internet...hopefully and besides there's not much time to spend in the computer room. There's breakfast, then a port, then lunch, then the pool, then high tea, then cocktail hour, then dinner, then a show, then.....

It's kinda like I'm spending $$$$ for this VERY, VERY nice cruise/trip so I'm going to get heartburn over spending a few cents more for an email??

BTW: I was really only pointing out the new email address :o

Archived