Review: Carnival Glory to Canada - 7/17/10 - 5 days

Dave0311

Dave, I read and enjoyed your review very much. I've never cruised to Canada...because I live in Nova Scotia [the province of which Halifax is the capital] and I formerly lived in New Brunswick [where St John is to be found]. I was very happy to hear of your enjoyment of our cruise ports. Please come again!

Dave, I read and enjoyed your review very much. I've never cruised to Canada...because I live in Nova Scotia [the province of which Halifax is the capital] and I formerly lived in New Brunswick [where St John is to be found]. I was very happy to hear of your enjoyment of our cruise ports. Please come again!

Thanks for reading! I really did enjoy your ports and the people there. :D I hope I can visit again in the future. :)

Dave, reading your review was like reading a great book. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us. We will be sailing the Glory on Sept 25th and your information was invaluable. I do have one quirky question though. You know on the Caribbean cruises they have these special tropical drinks...well, what types of special drinks do they offer on the New England/Canada cruise? If you know the answer and can share it I would appreciate it.

Dave, thanks for your FANTASTIC review!

We did this cruise last summer, and we are happy to be returning for another try in three weeks!

We just loved the relaxed atmosphere of a five day Canadian, and driving three hours beats flights any day!

Thanks for sharing!

Dave, thanks for your FANTASTIC review!

We did this cruise last summer, and we are happy to be returning for another try in three weeks!

We just loved the relaxed atmosphere of a five day Canadian, and driving three hours beats flights any day!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comments. :)

Love your review! Your pics are great especially the sunset ones!
Thank you, glad you liked it! :D

Dave, reading your review was like reading a great book. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us. We will be sailing the Glory on Sept 25th and your information was invaluable. I do have one quirky question though. You know on the Caribbean cruises they have these special tropical drinks...well, what types of special drinks do they offer on the New England/Canada cruise? If you know the answer and can share it I would appreciate it.
I believe they have a lot of the same drinks. They probably just give them different names. :p

I just returned from this cruise and each adult can bring 1 bottle of wine on board. They are supposed to charge you $10 to uncork it...one night they charged us; the other night they didn't! If your kids aren't big soda drinkers, just buy individual ones from the bar. One of my kids drinks soda; the other doesn't. We bought 1 soda card and just a la carte sodas for the other. (In the dining room, when the beverage girl brought the kids with the soda cards drinks, she would often bring my sodacardless son one as well.) So the "rules" seem to be a bit more flexible than in the past.

• 7 months later...

We are booked on this cruise for July 30, 2011 and I found this review doing a search on the board. It is so wonderful that it deserves to be bumped up to the front page again.

Thanks, Dave. Like you and your parents, my 21 year old daughter loves to cruise with us and she will be joining us on this cruise if her internship schedule permits.

Looking forward to our cruise even more now!

Lisa I have been looking for this review for 2 weeks now..boy was I excited when I saw it today. We are thinking about taking this cruise also and I remembered reading this young mans review and knew his name was Dave. Yes I agree it was a memorable review and worth the bump for others like I taking the Canadian plunge this year.

• 2 months later...

Carnival Glory - 5 Day Canadian cruise out of New York City to St. John and Halifax

Feel free to ask questions along the way. I'll do my best to answer them.

Dave,

Awesome review!

I've read and loved every page of this review; a few of the pages twice, and I still can't seem to find your cabin number. If most of your pictures were from your balcony; then it seems you scored the correct side of the ship for port views.

Would you mind sharing Port or Starboard?

I've bookmarked your review to re-read when we finally book! Flights from Nashville to NY (or Newark) fitting into Carnival's schedule isn't easy without overnights...so we still haven't booked!!! Might have to wait till 2012!

Thanks so much!

Karen

Dave,

Awesome review!

I've read and loved every page of this review; a few of the pages twice, and I still can't seem to find your cabin number. If most of your pictures were from your balcony; then it seems you scored the correct side of the ship for port views.

Would you mind sharing Port or Starboard?

I've bookmarked your review to re-read when we finally book! Flights from Nashville to NY (or Newark) fitting into Carnival's schedule isn't easy without overnights...so we still haven't booked!!! Might have to wait till 2012!

Thanks so much!

Karen

Thanks for the new comments everyone. We were in cabin 7337 on the Glory last year. Hope this helps!

Dave, thank you so much for your review and the slide show -- we all feel like we have returned from this cruise. We searched and searched for a comprehensive review of the Glory and you went above and beyond.

We are sailing on Glory June 27, 2011 from NYC and your review, commentary and photos have been perfect preparation for our week-long "bon voyage" celebration.

We have sailed the Nova Scotia route and camped the area as far North as Cape Breton Island; your photos bring back many memories of a beautiful part of Canada.

Anyone also planning a cruise out of NYC: This may be another "secret" not well noticed. Last October we visited the area across the river where the Port of Bayonne is located and where the RCCL ships depart. At the very end of the road, just after you would turn left to enter the parking area, is a small park with a large magnificent monument donated to the United States by Russia entitled Teardrop Memorial.

It was erected in line with the original footprint for the WTC so may require a quick right turn of the head just before, during or after passing the WTC area to head out of the Harbor. We are going to try to see how well it is visible from the starboard side of Glory when we go on the 27th.

Donations for the park were made by RCCL and residents of Bayonne. The Memorial pays tribute to all who died in 911, with their names engraved on the black marble base. The monument is vertical, with a large brass "teardrop" hanging freely. It is worth a look and a visit if anyone is ever in the area. I do not know the exact URL though it can be found by searching Teardrop Memorial.

Dave, Thank you again for taking the time to share your journey with us -- your commentary, your humor and your use of the photos was outstanding. You may want to consider being a travel writer.

To your future . . .

Thank you for the kind words. :) I'd love to write more reviews, but I need to get some more cruises booked first. :D Writing these reviews also makes the cruise itself more fun. I'll be in port or on the ship and see something that would be fun to talk about and show a picture of in a review. So I take the picture and begin to think of how to incorporate it into the review. My prep for writing the review actually begins before the cruise is even over!

Anyone also planning a cruise out of NYC: This may be another "secret" not well noticed. Last October we visited the area across the river where the Port of Bayonne is located and where the RCCL ships depart. At the very end of the road, just after you would turn left to enter the parking area, is a small park with a large magnificent monument donated to the United States by Russia entitled Teardrop Memorial.

It was erected in line with the original footprint for the WTC so may require a quick right turn of the head just before, during or after passing the WTC area to head out of the Harbor. We are going to try to see how well it is visible from the starboard side of Glory when we go on the 27th.

Donations for the park were made by RCCL and residents of Bayonne. The Memorial pays tribute to all who died in 911, with their names engraved on the black marble base. The monument is vertical, with a large brass "teardrop" hanging freely. It is worth a look and a visit if anyone is ever in the area. I do not know the exact URL though it can be found by searching Teardrop Memorial.

Here's a picture of the monument from the deck of the Explorer...

IMG_0081-1.jpg

Thanks so much for the review. We are on the exact same cruise one year later. We live in Northern NJ, so we have friends and family taking us and picking us up. Do you happen to remember the time you walked off the ship? I'd like to get off as late as possible, so my MiL can avoid as much traffic as possible.

Thanks much in advance.

100 points to the first person to find the mistakes in the following picture:

2035726430106525348S600x600Q85.jpg

I noticed that no one answered this. Well, the second flag pole from the left is broken near the top and I see a bit of the first flag from the left overlapping into the second image. There's probably something wrong in the last section, but can't pick it out.

Thanks so much for the review. We are on the exact same cruise one year later. We live in Northern NJ, so we have friends and family taking us and picking us up. Do you happen to remember the time you walked off the ship? I'd like to get off as late as possible, so my MiL can avoid as much traffic as possible.

Thanks much in advance.

I noticed that no one answered this. Well, the second flag pole from the left is broken near the top and I see a bit of the first flag from the left overlapping into the second image. There's probably something wrong in the last section, but can't pick it out.

I can't remember what time we got off the ship. My guess is somewhere around 9:00-9:30? I can't imagine getting off much later than that.

I'm glad someone finally spotted the mistakes in the photo! Good job! :p

I'm sailing the 7 day Canada/New England trip in Sept 2012 on the Glory. This is such an excellent review that it makes me want to change my itinerary to Sept 2011. Too bad I can't because I already took my 2011 in January on the Liberty. I was concerned a Canadian cruise might be a little too laid back but based on your review I am really looking forward to it. You had some good information and photos on St. Johns and Halifax. I will have to search around for Boston and Portland port reviews since those are the added ports on the 7 day itinerary.

Thanks for your excellent review.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for such an outstanding review and pictures. Enjoy each part, but especially the parts in which you speak of spending time with your grandparents. My grandmother was absolutely one of my favorite individuals on, and about a year before her death, we had taken her on her first trip to see the ocean. Was the best two week vacation ever--so many cherished memories. Seems we always make time for our spouse, kids, friends..etc., but often our elderly family members are taken for granted. It warms my heart to hear others speak of spending time with their loved ones in such a dignified manner. Thanks again!!

Archived