Split - restaurant or cafe

One of the highlights of our very first cruise was a stop in Split where the 'market' was alive with flowers and while browsing, we spotted a food booth at the edge of the market with a big sign with the word 'Cevapcaci' in bold red letters. Cevapcaci (Cha vap cha chi) is a wonderful sausage plate or sandwich. We had one of the best meals right there in the market. Chevapcaci on a big soft bun. Cheep. I think we scared the owner as two obvious American tourists got 'way too excieted' to see her booth. Oh, we also bought a wonderful morter and pestal in Split. It has pride of place in our kitchen. We broke our pestal a while back and are looking forward to shopping for a replacement this October in Dubrovnik.

One of the highlights of our very first cruise was a stop in Split where the 'market' was alive with flowers and while browsing, we spotted a food booth at the edge of the market with a big sign with the word 'Cevapcaci' in bold red letters. Cevapcaci (Cha vap cha chi) is a wonderful sausage plate or sandwich. We had one of the best meals right there in the market. Chevapcaci on a big soft bun. Cheep. I think we scared the owner as two obvious American tourists got 'way too excieted' to see her booth. Oh, we also bought a wonderful morter and pestal in Split. It has pride of place in our kitchen. We broke our pestal a while back and are looking forward to shopping for a replacement this October in Dubrovnik.

Thanks for the info! We love sausage. We're on a Med. cruise this October and will also be in Dubrovnik. Are you cruising?

up hill from old town, first Italian restaurant you come to on left side was really great ...can eat outside,food great and plentiful.and prices very reasonable...sorry ,forgot name,but easy to find...Then,if you have plenty of time....can walk uphill 20mis.to Villa Dubrovnik for lunch or dinner..We stayed there and had the best dinner with great views of old town from balcony....most of cafes in old town proper were filled with tourists and avoided those...great area and you ll love it....:)

THANKS for this super great suggestion and ideas. I have saved and copied this info for my 2011 planning file. I did pose this question earlier and I would be interested in your reactions and experiences.

How do you compare and rate these two different “collections” of port stops? Which stops/ports would be the "SUPER STARS" for these two different cruise options?

June 10-17 has a variety of stops starting in Ravenna, Italy with its Byzantine mosaics, then doing Korcula Island/Croatia, Kotor/Montenegro, Sibenick/Croatia and Opatija/Croatia. There would be 47 hours in the five ports for this cruise.

June 17-24 has the five ports of Koper/Slovenia, Dubrovnik/Croatia, Split/Croatia, Hvar/Croatia and Rovinj/Croatia. This includes until 11 pm in the ports of Split and Rovinj. There would be 57 hours in these ports with this cruise option.

Is it a prime question/choice of seeing Dubrovnik and Split versus Ravenna, Korcula and Kotor? Or, are Dubrovnik and Split almost too popular and flooded with cruise ships, making the June 10 port options a little better with stops that are not as over-visited? Any other factors, trade-offs to consider with these two options along the Croatian Coast? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived