DREAM-just returned a few thoughts

CARIBBEAN01

We were on the Dream last year in the Med and will be on the Magic next year. There were a lot of people but I never felt crowded. Rarely saw lines in the Lido buffet, but if I did I just went to another food venue or came back later. Things like that don't bother me much.

I'm not worried. We absolutely LOVED the Dream. I just could never get to the Serenity deck in time to get a cubby or hammock.

As I was lying in bed for 2 days, I was glued to the television. It went from 9 miles an hour to 113. Never ever have I ever been the least bit seasick. Everyone has an opinion which I understand, however the info that was shown on channel 4 hitting the front of the ship was info that the ship provides. Just dumbfounded regarding the comments and the true facts as Carnival provides and I taped.

My guess would be that the ships equipment is metric and that it was 113KPH which translates into about 63 MPH. A common mistake. Still 63 mph winds are pretty strong and a captain would not purposely go into them, so I can only assume it must have been unavoidable.

My guess would be that the ships equipment is metric and that it was 113KPH which translates into about 63 MPH. A common mistake. Still 63 mph winds are pretty strong and a captain would not purposely go into them, so I can only assume it must have been unavoidable.

But for apparent wind to be 61 mph, the ship would ahve be be doing 25knots and the real wind would be 38 knots with apparent wind coming at 45 degrees off the bow. That could be within the gusts realm of Bonnie later in the week, after she had formed and headed west. I beleive the OP just miss read the TV. It's easy enough to miss the decimal point when lying down and watching the smaller screen in the cabin. So the OP may have seen 9 mph then 11 POINT 3 mph and misread as 113 mph. Variance between 9 and 11.3 apparent wind is pretty normal.

But for apparent wind to be 61 mph, the ship would ahve be be doing 25knots and the real wind would be 38 knots with apparent wind coming at 45 degrees off the bow. That could be within the gusts realm of Bonnie later in the week, after she had formed and headed west. I beleive the OP just miss read the TV. It's easy enough to miss the decimal point when lying down and watching the smaller screen in the cabin. So the OP may have seen 9 mph then 11 POINT 3 mph and misread as 113 mph. Variance between 9 and 11.3 apparent wind is pretty normal.

Except that another poster that was on the same cruise indicated that the winds did indeed get up to 68 MPH.

These are the reviews that make me nervous. I am cruising on the Magic next summer and am a bit nervous with the crowds. We have chosen Carnival because the price difference between CCL and Royal is significant but I want it to be a great experience. We have cruised Carnival before and know the product somewhat, but the range of reviews for the Dream has me a bit worried. It would take a lot for us to have a bad time so I am heading into the cruise with positive thoughts (haven't mentioned a word of negativitiy to DW). We'll find out soon enough!

I know me too! We cruise on the Dream Oct. 30. I'm hoping with school being back in that the cruise wont be as packed. I didn't care about going on the Dream I just wanted to leave out of Port Canaveral. The ship doesn't seems similar to the Triumph or Valor but with more cabins. And I tend to think those are a bit over crowded. Oh well.

I'll be honest, with RCCL, there seems to be (just guessing), 1 neg. review for every 3 or 4 pos. reviews. For the Dream, it seems to be 1 pos., 1 neg. That's why I am a bit worried. Honestly though, we just sailed on the Serenade of the Seas, an absolutely beautiful ship but I felt the Centrum area was always crowded, too small for the activities that takes place. So, I guess we can take all of this for what its worth!

We are going on the Dream in January so maybe the crowds won't be too bad???? Or is it just wishful thinking?

We're going in January too, and I'm hoping the same thing. I think in general summer seems to be more crowded aboard the ships than in winter.

@CARIBBEAN01 - thanks for your thoughts on the Dream. I'm so excited to sail her, but have to wait 6 more months!

Archived