Jan 8 - NCL Epic or Celebrity Eclipse

gskimmel

We made a reservation for the NCL Epic (got a free upgrade to the deluxe balcony) and are comparing it to the Aqua Class with a similar similar itinerary with Celebrity Eclipse. We are leaning towards NCL but would appreciate if anyone knew anything about these two ships/cabins?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go with NCL. Was on the Solstice during its first year and did not care for it. NCL has great dinning options. Also, Aqua class cabins are not the same as a deluxe balcony on NCL. Aqua Class would compare to NCL's Spa Class. The Deluxe cabins are great though, very large and plenty of storage. Whatever you decide enjoy!

Personally I would choose ECLIPSE. I also sailed on SOLSTICE when she was first introduced and thought the ship and experience were amazing! The decor is stunning (one of the best afloat I think) and if you can dine at Blu, even better! It's a beautiful, small, intimate dining room with great food. The spa on this class of ship is first rate as well.

I will be having lunch on EPIC this Saturday, but unfortunately so far I'm not overly impressed (from my perspective). The slides are great for kids, but they take up so much of the deck space. The pools are some of the smallest I have seen and a nice pool deck is important to me. The entertainment (Blue Man Group, Cirque) while top notch, doesn't really appear to me. They are not shows I would go see on land (I guess I am more Broadway). Also, when I look at the interior pictures of the ship, I'm reminded of a dark, Vegas strip hotel. I don't see a lot of natural light and there are not really any grand, multi-level spaces. All this being said, EPIC is getting decent reviews after some serious start up pains. I do think the ship is very high density, meaning she carries a lot of passengers for her size.

Attached is a link to pictures I took of SOLSTICE if you are interested.

http://gallery.mac.com/ekroller#100378

Either way, good luck with your decision and I'm sure you will have a great time on either ship.

Ernie

• 1 month later...

I was on EQUINOX 2 times in 2009 and liked the Aqua class very much also the Blu restaurant is great. Did the first tansatlantic on Epic in June in a family balcony stateroom

which are very special with curved walls and the separate shower and toilet, but I prefer

Celebrity for food and service.

Archived