Prepay for trip to Chankanaab or just do it on our own?

mommy2boyz

Hi! I think I have made up my mind on where we will go for the day!! We have 2 boys 6 and 7 years old and I think everyone would have something to do a Chankanaab park. Do you go on your own? or would you sign up from the cruise ship or through an excursion site? It seems to be more money from the excursions site. Can we just take a cab and pay as we go??

After our time at the park any ideas on what we can do next? We are more go with the flow people..have an idea of what we might want to do...but not pay up front or be locked into a time. We want to enjoy this time with the kids and enjoy the island! Thanks! Mommy2boyz

We've been twice to Chankanaab. Once without kids, the next with.

Taking a cab is super easy. There are designated taxi stands at the port with the amounts to various places listed. No negotiating necessary. Choose a taxi, tell him where, confirm the amount (just in case) and off you go.

They drop you off at the front where there are ticket booths. Look out for the guy with the iguana and the parrot. He'll drop the iguana around your shoulders, give you the parrot to hold and offer to take a picture of you with your own camera for $5.00. Happened pretty quick. You don't have to have him take the pic, but I did. One of my favorite pictures of the trip! :)

There are tons of cabs there when you get ready to leave. Just tell them back to the pier or the shopping area. Confirm price and off you go!

We took the kids around the lagoon and nature trails, visited the replica of the Mayan village, Mexican ruins, and hit the little shopping area (which has great prices, by the way).

We spent the rest of the day chilling on the lagoon beach. A very nice man brought us drinks and food. Prices were very reasonable. The best part was the ability to come and go as we pleased. I think we also saved money on the ship's excursion.

We snorkeled the time we came without the kids, but it was a little too rough for our kids the time we brought them.

We had a great time! Hope you do, too!

jeast, that was a great Chank review. I've been there three time, love the place. I'd just add one more thing. They have a small beach area that is pretty blocked off from the main water. It would be great for kids.

Last Nov we just took a cheap and easy cab ride there and paid at the window. They had some combos offered the day we were there and we ended up paying a little more and getting a t-shirt and drink coupon.

We could have EASILY been kept busy there with our teens all day, but we got caught up in an unusual storm that lasted most of the day- not typical. So we left and did some shopping in town. At the park there is a protected swim area great for little ones, a snorkeling area, water excursion hut (snorkeling, scuba I think & other underwater stuff), nature trails (cool huts with people demonstrating cooking/weaving), swim with dolphins, several eateries/bars, hammocks, chairs, sand loungers, replica mayan ruins, guided tours, and shopping.

I don't see any advantage of pre booking. Just taking a cab and paying allows you to change your mind if you want.

Was just there last Wednesday. We ate lunch at the restaurant closest to the snorkel area. Most Mexican dishes were around $10. Our family of 5 had a couple of plates of nachos and 2 Mexican plates (taco, tostada, enchiladas) and some bottled waters. Our tab came to $57 before tip. The food was excellent by the way. There was some slightly cheaper options but not by much.

Here is a coupon for $2 off admission to Chankanaab:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Coupons?From=Reefs

I agree with the others. It's very easy to go there and back in a cab.

I was there 2 years ago with my then 7 year old and had a good time. We saw a big fish while snorkeling and after that he preferred to stay in the pool, which was very pleasant with a swim up bar. We got some great photos walking around the lagoon and gardens.

Was just there last Wednesday. We ate lunch at the restaurant closest to the snorkel area. Most Mexican dishes were around $10. Our family of 5 had a couple of plates of nachos and 2 Mexican plates (taco, tostada, enchiladas) and some bottled waters. Our tab came to $57 before tip. The food was excellent by the way. There was some slightly cheaper options but not by much.

I was planning on budgeting about $15pp so that sounds about right. :) Thank you for the info!

Archived