Back from first cruise ever...

alexney

What a great time!! I cannot wait to go again :)

We sailed July 24 on the Fascination out of JAX. We were on deck 4 in an inside stateroom with two kids, so it was a tight squeeze, but completely do-able. I learned a few things along the way...

1.) Pack 1/2 of the clothes you think you will need- I know it's been said a zillion times before, but I didn't believe it applied to me.

2.) Set an alarm if you have no window- it really is impossible to know the time of day.

3.) Take a walk further down HMC and there are way less people.

4.) Most of the shows weren't fabulous, but they were a great way to cool down without going back to the room.

5.) They will be taking pictures everywhere, so pace yourself or you will pay tons for photos.

6.) The ship's shops had really great prices and sails.

7.) Don't feel funny about ordering two appetizers or an extra lobster tail- everyone at our table did this regularly.

I am sure more things will come to me, but those are at the top of my list.

Sounds like you had a great time. I came back from my first cruise with most of the same lessons learned. Although, it's just now sinking in about the clothes. :D I did much better in packing on my last cruise, but still came home with a couple of things not worn. Eventually, I'll catch on!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!! Welcome to my addiction :cool:

We sailed July 24 on the Fascination out of JAX. We were on deck 4 in an inside stateroom with two kids, so it was a tight squeeze, but completely do-able. I learned a few things along the way...

1.) Pack 1/2 of the clothes you think you will need- I know it's been said a zillion times before, but I didn't believe it applied to me.

2.) Set an alarm if you have no window- it really is impossible to know the time of day.

4.) Most of the shows weren't fabulous, but they were a great way to cool down without going back to the room.

5.) They will be taking pictures everywhere, so pace yourself or you will pay tons for photos.

7.) Don't feel funny about ordering two appetizers or an extra lobster tail- everyone at our table did this regularly.

Glad you had fun! I, too, had a BLAST on my first cruise in January!

Loved what you wrote about the clothes. :D

Welcome home and congratulations on your first voyage! No doubt just the first of many.

Looks like you've learned a great deal of what we all know now the trick is to put it to good use!

I've been following the 'pack 1/2 of what you think you'll need' mantra for years and I still over pack. If I pack any less I'll have a pair of boxers and a t-shirt!!!

Have you booked the next one yet? If not, why not???

:D

Excellent to hear that you enjoyed your first cruise! You'll be platinum before you know it!!!

Clothes--yep, pack less. I suggest you make a lst of what to bring based on the cruise and stick to it.

Cabins--If you can swng it, book a balcony and there will be no need to be in the dark even when it is bright as can be out!!!! Balcony cabins are great *BG*

HMC--I booked a cabana and never regretted it!!!!!!

Pictures--avoid those areas by walking to the back diing room on another deck. On Conquest class ships, go via Lido deck, f your cabin is forward or midship. My last cruise had me in the back dining room and I never once took Promenade deck to the dining room...went Lido all the way (and my cabin was on Lido too).

I purposely make lyself look horrible so they don't take pictures.....Ok, so that usually means my hair is in a ponytail....

Dinner--two appetizers are common for me when there is a chilled soup and something like french onion soup or escargot *BG*.....

So, when is the next cruise?

feel silly asking but what is HMC?

Not silly at all. It is Half Moon Cay Carnival's private island. I will be there for the first time in 289 days. :D From reviews it is amazing and I hope to get one of the coveted cabanas to half a luxurious beach day with loungers, shade, air conditioning, sodas and snacks.

Glad you had a great first cruise. I agree with all of your rules and unfortunately I keep relearning rule #1 over and over. I ALWAYS bring too many clothes. :p

Excellent to hear that you enjoyed your first cruise! You'll be platinum before you know it!!!

Clothes--yep, pack less. I suggest you make a lst of what to bring based on the cruise and stick to it.

Cabins--If you can swng it, book a balcony and there will be no need to be in the dark even when it is bright as can be out!!!! Balcony cabins are great *BG*

HMC--I booked a cabana and never regretted it!!!!!!

Pictures--avoid those areas by walking to the back diing room on another deck. On Conquest class ships, go via Lido deck, f your cabin is forward or midship. My last cruise had me in the back dining room and I never once took Promenade deck to the dining room...went Lido all the way (and my cabin was on Lido too).

I purposely make lyself look horrible so they don't take pictures.....Ok, so that usually means my hair is in a ponytail....

Dinner--two appetizers are common for me when there is a chilled soup and something like french onion soup or escargot *BG*.....

So, when is the next cruise?

Could someone please elaborate on this photo thing. So the ships have Carnival Paparazzi™ that take photos of you doing what and where?? They better not jump out and scare the $#@! out of me or someone will have a mess to clean up.

I absolutely loathe when I enter amusement parks and the photographers rush you to take your pic. If I want my pic taken, I'd ask someone to take it for me. Let me bottom line it: Will I be harassed about having my pic taken? I just don't want to deal with it all week, that would really bring the experience down a notch. I know, I'd never cut it as a celebrity.

Thanks

Could someone please elaborate on this photo thing. So the ships have Carnival Paparazzi™ that take photos of you doing what and where?? They better not jump out and scare the $#@! out of me or someone will have a mess to clean up.

I absolutely loathe when I enter amusement parks and the photographers rush you to take your pic. If I want my pic taken, I'd ask someone to take it for me. Let me bottom line it: Will I be harassed about having my pic taken? I just don't want to deal with it all week, that would really bring the experience down a notch. I know, I'd never cut it as a celebrity.

Thanks

I'm with you....getting off at ports, embarkation, etc. the photographers are there. Many people like the pics..for us, been there done that.

We just simply say "No thank you" and keep walking.

I'm with you....getting off at ports, embarkation, etc. the photographers are there. Many people like the pics..for us, been there done that.

We just simply say "No thank you" and keep walking.

Yep, we say "no thanks" and keep walking too. If they are really insistent we'll just pause and smile and then move on. As annoying as it can be I know they're just doing their job.

Archived