Coral - what would you pick

Bowlersbus

Getting ready to book the Coral for Alaska.

Vancouver to Whittier

Soo confused as to which to pick. Here are my options - which would you pick and why?

Same Class AB Mini suite (3 people sailing)

Starboard 709 across from laundry room or

Port 706

does it really matter Port or Starboard when sailing Alaska?

I know the Caribbean it does.

Thanks!

Michelle

Vancouver to Whittier

Soo confused as to which to pick. Here are my options - which would you pick and why?

Port 706

Thanks!

Michelle

We just did this cruise last summer on the Island (sister ship). I highly recommend the Mini's if you can get them. We had four for the family and we had scads of room. And they have a full bathtub. Also, I would recommend the Starboard side but it really doesn't matter. The ship docked on the starboard side at each stop (Ketchican, Juneau, and Skagway) so you could see the ports from your balcony. Look for the golf balls in the trees at Ketchican and Juneau. Those would be the Bald Eagles!!

Enjoy, Kenn

Port/Starboard didn't seem to be a huge deal for us except at a few points, the scenery was definitely nicer port leaving Ketchikan (southbound), so I might suggest Starboard northbound. No idea how much difference noise wise being near the laundry room might make..

Vancouver to Whittier

Port 706

Thanks!

Michelle

The general rule is starbord northbound and port southbound this will give you the maximum scenery in the inside passage....plus, and this is the real closer, you get to wave to me about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge.:)

It's a 7 day cruise? If so, being by the laundry room would be okay. They have good sound-proofing. The only thing is you get a lot of people passing by your cabin door on the sea day because that's when most do their laundry. If there was a way to get 715 or 716 which is a bit further back would be even better. We stayed in 715 when we were on the Coral.

Vancouver to Whittier

Port 706

Thanks!

Michelle

What deck?

thanks for the info -

putterdude - we are coming to Vancouver 2 days earlier. Looking forward to the Eye of the Wind. Scary, but looks cool. And the Capilano suspension bridge!

I haven't done the Eye of the Wind yet but I am sure that you will enjoy the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mountain SkyRide. However a word to the wise...if it is raining or if you can't see the top of the North Shore Mountains...don't bother with Grouse Mountain, you won't be able to see down thru the clouds and enjoy the view that you are going for.

Colo - we are on Caribe. Only Starboard Mini left. We watched for days, snagged it when it came up.

putterdude - thanks for that advice.

on another post someone said that the Sunsets on the Port side were amazing. My daughter is actually working up in Anchorage, she's a Holland America train guide. Its the DAYLIGHT season. So I was wondering how much sunset you would see.

Port is superior if you plan to stay on your balcony for glacier bay, as most of the narration is done on the way in, and port will be much closer to land. Otherwise, most of the time it makes no difference (ship is either in the inside passage with land on both sides or too far away from land for scenic cruising)

on another post someone said that the Sunsets on the Port side were amazing. quote]

No question the port side will give you lovely sunsets northbound but the trade off are the sunrises on the starboard side. No idea when you are going so it is hard to comment on the time of the sunsets...here is a couple of pix of a sunrise in September last year.

IMG_1080.jpg.79eeae23bb75ceefc57a98eac7d1bdbe.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg.d57d3d64fc549d44c9ee6e50533232f1.jpg

Archived