Juneau - shopping hours

caity27

I have booked a trip which brings me back to town about 5pm but the ship does not leave until 11pm. What time do the shops shut in Juneau?

Funny, they are discussing this exact subject on the Alaska board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1248563

Sounds like it can depend on the weather and/or number of ships in port. I was wondering how "open" things will be on or 9/8 cruise, which is late in the season.

While I do not know for sure, I cannot imagine stores closing when there are ships in port. Tourist season is so short (and this year has had less tourist due to the tax issues). . . . . so, I guess that stores will stay open to accommodate the passengers:)

In late June, we arrived port after noon. The Carnival ship was there until 4. When I asked the shopkeeps when they were closing up (as we were off to an excursion) they said as soon as that other ship had left.

Perhaps our small numbers were not enough of value to stay open past 4 for the 6 more hours we were to be in port.

We have been in Juneau several times (not always on a ship). If there are no ships in port, every thing is shut down tight except the stores locals would use. Everything open as long as a ship is there.

Many of the shops in port are owned by the Cruiselines. Regent is not one of them. Same with the Carribbean.

If I was a shop owner in Juneau, the Regent ships would be the ships I stayed open for...

If you aren't a Carnival or RCCL Ship they don't care to stay open. They aren't there for the luxe market. We don't buy the Tanazanite, Pink Topaz, or TShirts and Ulu's often.

T-Shirts, fleece vests and jackets, Ulus, knick-nacks and perhaps some special jewelry mementos is exactly what I plan to purchase and I have a hefty budget for those things.

I guess I don't belong in the "luxe" market...

A 490 passenger ship is not a 3500 passenger ship. The percentage of sales even if you spent $1000 is still low than getting 100 passengers at 35.00

That's a really good point...and disappointing.

Maybe someday it won't always be about the bottom line.

I'll plan on getting my shopping done during the daytime business hours.

Actually the number of stores in the ports will not disappoint the shoppers. There is more than enough shopping you can do. You might have to walk a little further away from the port to do it. Ketchikhan and Skagway had good shopping for jewelery and tshirts.

Archived