questions about my upcoming Celebrity Solstice western caribbean cruise

leallison

I have booked excursions but NOT through the ship (going on Celebrity Solstice) and I will have to pay cash to these shore vendors. I don't want to carry a lot of cash around (will need at least 500-700 in cash) so should I get travelers checks or just use the ATM on the ship as needed (except I don't like ATM charges)?

Also, will my blackberry work on board? I know they have cell towers but I am sure I will get charged a pretty penny. I was thinking of just using the WIFI setting on my blackberry and turn off the network connection. Will I get wifi on the ship? I have my own business and need to check email once a day but don't want to sit on a computer the entire time. Should I just try and find free wifi at the ports? Will there be any place for that?

I have booked excursions but NOT through the ship (going on Celebrity Solstice) and I will have to pay cash to these shore vendors. I don't want to carry a lot of cash around (will need at least 500-700 in cash) so should I get travelers checks or just use the ATM on the ship as needed (except I don't like ATM charges)?

Also, will my blackberry work on board? I know they have cell towers but I am sure I will get charged a pretty penny. I was thinking of just using the WIFI setting on my blackberry and turn off the network connection. Will I get wifi on the ship? I have my own business and need to check email once a day but don't want to sit on a computer the entire time. Should I just try and find free wifi at the ports? Will there be any place for that?

I would use Travelers Checks and cash them on the ship. Many places onshore wil lot accept them, and, ATM fees are excessive in my opinion. Turn off the Blackberry, per minute charges for connecting are horrendous. I have seen reports of people having 3 to $4,000 bills for one week cruise. The WiFi (think of a dial-up connection, it is Sloooooow)that is available on the ship for computers is paid for by purchasing a package of minutes. I would say that the average minute charge for the packages is about twenty-five cents a minute, the service is very slow, it is ok for checking E-mail, but not of much use for surfing or viewing image intensive websites. If you must stay in touch with the office, you could try to find computer access onshore, it is not easily available in all ports, and most of it is not free. Now, in my opinion, is it REALLY necessary that you stay in touch? Are you leaving the business in capable hands? If it is so much of a concern that it will ruin your vacation plans, you might rethink taking a cruise and stay closer to home.

I would use Travelers Checks and cash them on the ship. Many places onshore wil lot accept them, and, ATM fees are excessive in my opinion. Turn off the Blackberry, per minute charges for connecting are horrendous. I have seen reports of people having 3 to $4,000 bills for one week cruise. The WiFi (think of a dial-up connection, it is Sloooooow)that is available on the ship for computers is paid for by purchasing a package of minutes. I would say that the average minute charge for the packages is about twenty-five cents a minute, the service is very slow, it is ok for checking E-mail, but not of much use for surfing or viewing image intensive websites. If you must stay in touch with the office, you could try to find computer access onshore, it is not easily available in all ports, and most of it is not free. Now, in my opinion, is it REALLY necessary that you stay in touch? Are you leaving the business in capable hands? If it is so much of a concern that it will ruin your vacation plans, you might rethink taking a cruise and stay closer to home.

I own my own small office but I am a sole propietorship so nobody to back me up while gone. If I do not check on things for a few minutes each day some pretty big deals could fall apart. With that being said this is exactly why I chose a cruise....so nobody can reach me because I NEED a vacation badly. I will just keep the blackberry off, leave my laptop at home and check email for a few minutes on my blackberry at the ports.

We booked a daysail in St Thomas (eastern), and paid cash for the charter to save money (more for CC, and they didn't accept travellers checks). I brought the cash in the largest bills possible, and then kept it in the room safe until the day we needed it.

I own my own small office but I am a sole propietorship so nobody to back me up while gone. If I do not check on things for a few minutes each day some pretty big deals could fall apart. With that being said this is exactly why I chose a cruise....so nobody can reach me because I NEED a vacation badly. I will just keep the blackberry off, leave my laptop at home and check email for a few minutes on my blackberry at the ports.

Can't you just find an "internet" cafe at the ports & check your e-mails that way? Seems to me it would be cheaper. We also have our own business just the 2 of us, so I know what your saying. :D

Can't you just find an "internet" cafe at the ports & check your e-mails that way? Seems to me it would be cheaper. We also have our own business just the 2 of us, so I know what your saying. :D

I appreciate that. People who do not run their own businesses just do not understand that there is never really an "off" switch. My DH does not even get it so it is frustrating sometimes. This is really why we chose a cruise so that my clients cannot get a hold of me every minute...because they will try, they always do when I am on vacations. I am telling them all I will be out of the country and have VERY limited access to email and voicemail. LOL.

I appreciate that. People who do not run their own businesses just do not understand that there is never really an "off" switch. My DH does not even get it so it is frustrating sometimes. This is really why we chose a cruise so that my clients cannot get a hold of me every minute...because they will try, they always do when I am on vacations. I am telling them all I will be out of the country and have VERY limited access to email and voicemail. LOL.

I know exactly what you mean. I am now retired, but had my own consulting business for the power generation industry. I have been retired 8 years and still get calls. I just tell them they are "on the clock" and that fees are being incurred for my time. That pretty much has stopped the calls. I empathize with your situation, but, it just seems sad that we cannot, turn off, tune out, and relax on our short vacation time each year. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

I know exactly what you mean. I am now retired, but had my own consulting business for the power generation industry. I have been retired 8 years and still get calls. I just tell them they are "on the clock" and that fees are being incurred for my time. That pretty much has stopped the calls. I empathize with your situation, but, it just seems sad that we cannot, turn off, tune out, and relax on our short vacation time each year. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Oh, I am DEFINATELY going on my vacation....nothing could keep me from it. I will just turn off the blackberry and check it while in port or something like that. I really dont want my blackberry on during the cruise anyway...would just stress me out :)

• 3 weeks later...
We booked a daysail in St Thomas (eastern), and paid cash for the charter to save money (more for CC, and they didn't accept travellers checks). I brought the cash in the largest bills possible, and then kept it in the room safe until the day we needed it.

Would you mind sharing who you sailed with? We will be visiting St. Thomas in September and am just not that impressed with Celebrity's offerings.

Archived