Are Celebrity Specialty Restaurants worth it?

4774Papa

Tried them all. Are they better than the MDR? In most cases yes. Are they worth the upcharge? Absolutely not. When we do get them from our travel agent, it's in the form of an obc. We don't spend our obc from them so it's all credited back to our credit card. When we get home, we take that money and go out to it at places where the food is better and the cost is a lot less.

Not anymore.

At one time the food was outstanding and the prices reasonable. When we were on the Reflection in Nov. we received 50% off of the Tuscan Grill. Subjectively, that was all it was worth. My husband ordered the "Ciopinno: Rustic san francisco seafood stew" he received seafood on a skewer in an empty bowl. We had to request the broth. We also ordered the Parmesan Truffle French Fry. I didn't detect any Parmesan or Truffle.

On second thoughts, I don't believe that it was worth the 50% off.

We are cruising on Celebrity Infinity thru the Panama Canal down to Chile in December. Never cruised on Celebrity before (NCL). I understand that the specialty restaurant US United States, has a cover charge of $35. That seems high. On NCL the specialty restaurants are $10-25.

If the specialty restaurants are that good, is it because the basic restaurants are not?[/

The only way we cruise with NCL is on a suite and dining in specialty restaurants most nights. Every time we decide to eat in the MDR we are disappointed. This is not the case with Celebrity. Although we have tried all the specialty restaurants we don't think is a must. Do your research and depending on the length of your cruise, give the specialty restaurants a try. Happy cruising.

Infinity no longer has US UNITED STATES as a speciality restaurant, it was changed in dry dock to Tuscan Grill. They also have Qsine a great alternative more like a tapas restaurant, and the new option up on Deck 12 where movies will now be shown.

Hope that helps and yes we feel the specialities are now a disgraceful price when compared to lots of other lines. However they give good 1-1 deals or 20-50% off on board most sailings or you can buy a 3 or 5 speciality package before you sail at a better cost base.