Booking a cruise onboard..

northernsailor

Hello everyone,

I am going on the QV on the 27th August and looking at booking a cruise for the following May on QM2 - What's the advantage(s) of booking whilst onboard?

I'm only a lowly Cunard Gold World Club member, so I get 5% already online...

Cheers

Chris

Chris, I bought 3 sets (two each) of future cruise credits while on QM2 in June. With one set I booked a future cruise on board for September 2011 for 10 days. In addition to my $600 purchase prices for the future cruise serving as my down payment (vs 25% usually), I received two $800 dollar on board credits vs the usual $400 for 10 days. Not a bad deal.

The future credits are good for 4 years and can be used on board, or with Cunard's land based cruise planners. I am not sure whether or not they can be used at a travel agents. Future cruise credits have a minimum of $100, OBC per person depending on the length of the cruise.

When your aboard, ask about 'deals'.

Best Mike

Chris, I bought 3 sets (two each) of future cruise credits while on QM2 in June. With one set I booked a future cruise on board for September 2011 for 10 days. In addition to my $600 purchase prices for the future cruise serving as my down payment (vs 25% usually), I received two $800 dollar on board credits vs the usual $400 for 10 days. Not a bad deal.

The future credits are good for 4 years and can be used on board, or with Cunard's land based cruise planners. I am not sure whether or not they can be used at a travel agents. Future cruise credits have a minimum of $100, OBC per person depending on the length of the cruise.

When your aboard, ask about 'deals'.

Best Mike

My travel agent usually matches the OBC I get from Cunard.

In the past, after booking onboard you could shop around various travel agents for their best deal, and then assign your booking to one. You should expect a discount off of Cunard's fare and additional OBC.

Recently Cunard have instituted an onboard booking policy that forces you to use the travel agent that booked your current cruise, so no more shopping around TA's it would seem. To make up for this, extremely generous OBC's were being offered ($1500 per cabin). I believe this ended July 31, 2010.

I would strongly advise against booking on board unless you are very keen on securing a particular cabin, rather than class of cabin, and you are very sure you want that date. I have lost out on several occasions when fares have been heavily discounted at a later date and Cunard/TA have refused to discount because they already have my booking. The 5% discount in no way makes up. The policy of requiring you to book a cabin at exactly the same rate or higher and charging for a change of date even before the full fare is due (ie 3 months) also penalises those who book early. Don't do it!

Hello everyone,

I am going on the QV on the 27th August and looking at booking a cruise for the following May on QM2 - What's the advantage(s) of booking whilst onboard?

I'm only a lowly Cunard Gold World Club member, so I get 5% already online...

Cheers

Chris

Lunaticg, as you can see from the previous posts, the booking rules differ depending on which side of the pond. So I think the answer to your question might depend largely on your location which isn't mentioned.

I booked my next cruise on board and was charged my travel agent's rate which was lower than the brochure rate quoted by the booking office. It worked out well for me only because price adjustments are allowed on this side of the pond. At the time I booked, Cunard was offering double OBC ($1,000)and my travel agent added $500 OBC. The fare was reduced twice before final payment, but the $1500 OBC remained.:D

Next time I'm on board I'll buy a future cruise credit unless I've decided on a particular voyage to book.

Regards,

Salacia

My wife and I were on the QV 22 July around the British Isle cruise and returned home to NY on QM2 2 Aug. While onboard the QV they were offering a special double OB credit for 2011 voyages including TA crossings. We booked our 2 sailings a year ago on a QM2 TA crossing and had been offered double OB credits. We were able to use our US travel agent and Cunard lowered the fares before final payment. We really enjoyed the 2 sailings and the $2000 OB credit. You can alsways book onboard and cancel with no penalty up to 90 days before departure.

Have a great time.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responses, very interesting. Sorry, meant to say I am from the UK and therefore generally get the worst cruise deals due to location ;)

Interestingly, the cruise I am going on (a week on Friday - 27th) will be the same time this offer: http://www.cunard.com/en-GB/How-To-Book/Cunard-2011-Early-Booking-Spectacular/ finishes! - So I will see what the staff onboard will do regarding Future Cruise Credit + this offer/anything else..

I'm pretty certain on the dates I want and would rather pick a specific cabin than 'chance it' - also because I am so busy throughout the year I want to get them booked and secured and then I can plan all my other weeks around my cruises instead of what I did this year and do the opposite with trying to squeeze a cruise in!

Cheers!

Chris

I live in London. I would agree with missfrankiecat, do not book onboard or indeed directly with Cunard. In my experience the best thing to do is decide which cabin (or grade) you want and do an internet search of (UK) online travel agents to get their email details. Then email each of them asking for a quote. Then ring up the cheapest and see if they would throw in some more OBC (or further reduce the price).

Do not forget to mention your World Club status in your initial email since travel agents can pass-on that discount.

What you are trying to find are those travel agents who have bought a lot of capacity for your voyage. They would have been given good rates by Cunard and so will pass-on that discount (in addition to your 5% discount). From what I can determine that 'capacity' seems to be the number of passengers they book rather than particular staterooms or even grades. Certainly in my experience once you have found that favoured travel agent then they can give you the discount regardless of the grade you ask for.

Archived