Boarding Early (special need)

I haven't cruised in 9 years so I don't remember the protocol, but if you have a 'special need' (wheelchair/crutches/stoller/etc) do they allow you to board early like on the airlines?

My husband, was in a horrific car accident last year and is very lucky to still be here, but he has a really bad ankle (broke it in 19 places) and walks very slowly with a lot of pain and with a cane. He says the alternative was a long dirt nap, so he'll live with the bum ankle :p. He is allowed a handicapped placard for the car, but refuses to get one. He doesn't want anyone to look at him differently or get any special treatment, but I'm afraid that he may 'hold up the line' at embarkation with a lot of people behind him patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for him to walk onto the ship. Should I request early boarding (if there even is such a thing) or just let him walk at his own pace and everyone else can just wait. I don't even know if there are lines to get on the ship since it's been so long since we cruised. We plan on flying in the day before so we should arrive to the ship as early as we can so maybe it won't even be a problem at all. I guess I don't know if the lines are at check-in or to actually walk onto the ship. Maybe someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

I had minor knee surgery 10 days before a cruise and was on crutches the day we embarked. We got there prior to them allowing pax on ship. Once they started boarding, I was allowed to go through a seperate door much closer to the ship than others (this was in Port Canaveral). I am sure if they are notified they will allow your DH the same.

Tim

There are lines at both check-in, and to walk on the ship. Port Canaveral is one of the most organized when it comes to getting you on and off the ship, but there can still be some waiting and standing.

RCI does offer assistance for passengers needing it, but it might help if they knew beforehand. Either call your TA if you have one, or call RCI if you booked directly with them, and speak with someone that handles special needs.

I haven't cruised in 9 years so I don't remember the protocol, but if you have a 'special need' (wheelchair/crutches/stoller/etc) do they allow you to board early like on the airlines?

Yes, passengers with mobility issues are allowed priority boarding :) If he cant stand for long periods of time, request wheelchair service as soon as he gets to the port and he can use the W/C to board the ship. A rep will even push him if needed.

Tell him not to look at it as special treatment.........There will be lots of walking and standing to get on the ship. There is no need to suffer while going on vacation :)

Call the Special Needs department and they can note the reservation. But even if you dont, grab the first port employee you see and they will get him fixed right up. You will most likely find that they will offer just as soon as they see the cane and him having a little trouble.

I would strongly urge you to get a folding wheelchair for the cruise for waiting in lines, etc. so he can keep the weight off the ankle. He can push it if he feels up to it, and it's a great place to keep your bags. But if he needs to sit down, you'll have a place available, and you can whiz him through the lines so he doesn't block the people behind him.

Your husband should go for early boarding. If it makes him less tired to enjoy his vacation or whatever. My husband had viral encephelitis (infection of the brain) about 5 1/2 years ago. He has severe headaches, seizures, and other neurological problems as result. Although meds has helped to control many of his problems, stress brings on problems. So for us getting settled on a plane without being in a large group helps for him to enjoy the trip. Cruising is one thing that relaxes him. Accupunture might be helpful for your husband.

My response is not so much about boarding as it is about navigating the ship during your cruise. Freedom is a huge ship and getting from point A to point B for someone with mobility issues may be extremely tiring to him.

You mentioned that he uses a cane. Would he consider a wheelchair? That might alleviate any stress about having to get out the door that much earlier to accomodate the travel time to a show, bingo, card game, dinner reservation:)

Maybaybie10 - you need to have a serious discussion with your husband. Boarding the ship is not the only time he (and you) will have issues with his walking. I have traveled for a number of years with my mom who has mobility issues. We gradually went from using wheelchairs to board planes and ships to a walker with a seat to a transport chair (think adult stroller).

First of all it is a safety issue - you do not want him to get clipped by an inattentive person with a rolling suitcase. Using a wheelchair to board planes and ships will prevent this. He simply cannot afford to fall and injure his ankle again.

Secondly, the Freedom will be enormous. Regardless of where your cabin is (I hope you are near the aft elevators), there will always be someplace on the ship that is a very long walk without an adequate place to sit down.

Thirdly, you will have problems in the ports. Are you planning to stay on the ship for the entire cruise?

I would strongly recommend at a minimum a walker with a seat. I bought this transport chair for my Mom and both she and I love it - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BJEZ8I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0021YYV4O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12JVG53PJYJ5TEF47PDX

A scooter is yet another option to check out - you can rent them and have them delivered to the ship, but they may have to fit in your cabin so check with RCL.

Lastly, if all else fails, try guilt. What kind of vacation are you going to have if he can't get around easily?

I guess you will be flyingto the port, but if not, PC offers free parking to vehicles displaying the HC placard.

Are you sure PC is free for handicapped?

Miami is.

For Canaveral and Port Everglades, the vehicle has to be specially modified, as well as displaying the handicapped tags.

Parking:

Parking at Port Canaveral’s cruise terminals is paved, gated and under 24-hour surveillance. Passengers at Cruise Terminal 10 can choose between an outdoor parking area and a six-level parking garage.

Parking Fees

$20/night for vehicles up to 20 feet in length

$26/night for vehicles over 20 feet

The total fee for the time the vehicle will be parked is due on entry. We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and Traveler’s Checks issued in U.S. dollars.

Parking for the Disabled

Special parking spaces are provided. The parking fee is waived for vehicles that:

1. Have special equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls; or

2. Display the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (Call 800-983-2435 ext. 2 to apply for an exemption form.)

I have a son with autism who cant wait in long lines. We get VIP boarding. Take advantage of it. Secondly, I am with the other poster, use guilt. The ships are huge. Has he cruised before? There is ALOT of walking. Seriously consider a wheelchair or a scooter. Another advantage is HC rooms are bigger. If he is in alot of pain he might get so tired he might just get to the point of saying its not worth it to go from A to B and end up staying in the cabin. What kind of vacation will that be for you? You are not going to want to leave him so you you will stay in there too. Fun for honeymooners but not the rest of us (LOL). It is best to have the chair or scooter and not use it than regret that you didnt bring one. Just have him think about it. You are paying alot of money for this cruise, you want to make sure you both enjoy it.

Thank you for all your kind and informative responses- they are truly appreciated. My husband is stubborn- no two ways about it. He goes to work everyday for 8 hours and is on his feet all day. He only uses his cane when he isn't at work and I force him to bring it along for stability reasons as that ankle isn't particularly steady. After his car accident he was in a wheelchair for 4 months (he broke both legs and ankles- but just the one bothers him now) so he is accustomed to using one, but hasn't used one since and it has been about 10 months now. He never complains about the pain and he hasn't let it stop him from doing anything- we just walk a bit slower now. I will do my best to convince him of all your suggestions, but a hard-headed 36-year-old husband is a tough nut to crack! :p

OK - your situation is very different from mine. You have to work around a stubborn young man. Your cabin location is key. If you are by the aft elevators, you will have good access to the food, pool deck, and other popular destinations. The major things that would be a real hike are the theater and the fitness center. It is still early enough that you should be able to move your cabin if it is not conveniently located.

You're going to 3 ports - St. Thomas, St. Martin, and CocoCay. I'm not familiar with CocoCay. On St. Thomas there is a shuttle that goes around the Havensight Mall - you could plan to use that to get out to the cab stand. The pier at St. Martin is brutal. However, they do have little golf carts that will run you out to the cab stand for $1-2. It will be very hot - walking slowly in the sun will not be pleasant.

We haven't had much choice about early boarding. They see my wife in wheelchair and direct us to a waiting area for pre-boarders without even asking. Both HAL and RCI did this. We'll be using an HC cabin for first time on next cruise and I assume checking in for that will also trigger the early boarding routine. We've always boarded before even the photographers were set up. While speed is not an issue for us (I push fast!) it could be if walking slow. Especially if heading for buffet for lunch or to wait until cabin is ready. Being a little ahead of the crowd could be handy.

When flying pre-boarding is a must due to gate checking the chair. She can walk to seat but getting in the tight seat spaces is slow. On the flip side we are always last off while we wait for the chair to be brought up. Even without a wheelchair the jetways are often fairly steep and with a tricky ankle can be treacherous. My wifes' right ankle is bolted and fused in three places and angled floors or slopes are very difficult if she is using her cane.

. My wifes' right ankle is bolted and fused in three places and angled floors or slopes are very difficult if she is using her cane.

So is mine. I had my ankle fused to my leg in March due to post traumatic arthritis. Although I am now walking with only a small limp. Slopes are hard to navigate, but I am hoping they will get easier as time goes on.

Archived