Voyages to Antiquity Aug 10 and later

Doubloon

Hi Neatline

We were on one of the earlier cruises that experienced a laundry list of problems. However, I must be honest and say I don't recall any strong oil or diesels smells and we almost lived on deck 5 and 6 aft. I would also agree with others that there were a number of places outside on the upper decks forward that provided protection from smoke and soot. There isn't as much shade in these areas however the view was pretty cool as you watched the world go by and almost always a nice breeze. Also, the indoor spaces were quite ample with plenty of loveseats and chairs for relaxing, reading or playing cards (our cruise had 320 people onboard and there was always space for us). Another consideration is that you will be busy - there is no end of tours, lectures, entertainment etc to keep you going so unless you skip a bunch of these there will not be a lot of time for just sitting outside. Good luck with the decision process and to others I am very glad that many issues have been resolved and that you had a great experience on your cruise. :) We will have to keep on eye on this line.

In addition to the positive recent comments by Livestotravel (thanks so much for those!), there have been quite a few positive responses from posters on another site who have been on the last couple of cruises. Certainly makes me feel happier about my upcoming voyage.

Thanks for putting it into perspective LTT. Your reports have been very helpful and entertaining. I hope you will get the time to write a review, as the only reviews currently on CC about this ship do cause anxiety. I know what you mean about that approach to Venice. It's magic. :)

Just submitted a long one - hope they accept it - if they do it should appear in a few days. I tried to note the improvements based on past issues, and also practical info on the ship, organization of tours, etc. Didn't review much about my specific trip, although I'll be writing that up for myself and my long-suffering friends and family who I send them to. I think all the issues were about the ship anyway, the destinations and tours haven't really been criticized.

Just submitted a long one - hope they accept it - if they do it should appear in a few days. I tried to note the improvements based on past issues, and also practical info on the ship, organization of tours, etc. Didn't review much about my specific trip, although I'll be writing that up for myself and my long-suffering friends and family who I send them to. I think all the issues were about the ship anyway, the destinations and tours haven't really been criticized.

Good for you LTT. I look forward to reading your review when published. Many thanks once again for so effectively putting us in touch with the ship - virtually!

Hi LTT. I've just read through the review you posted of your cruise. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=71826

Congratulations, it is a very well written and balanced report. You concentrated on the very reasons why we go on cruises - the adventure of seaborne travel, the exotic ports, meeting great people, new experiences, great sights, the thrill of the unexpected and, of course, being spoilt just a little bit. You managed to capture those things and more and I really sensed the atmosphere of your voyage. Your review relates to the later voyage, and it is clear that the issues raised in the other two reviews of the earlier June voyages have been addressed. That is very good news indeed. We are now really looking forward to our cruise in November with great excitement. Thanks again for going to all the trouble of keeping us timid adventurers in the queue so well informed. You should think about a career with Lonely Planet! Very good work!:)

Bravo to LivestoTravel for the review that's been posted. What detail you've included! You did a good job of looking at both the pluses and minuses and of addressing those areas which have received so much criticism. As a passenger on the 2nd cruise (but certainly a satisfied one), it was interesting to read a first hand report of the changes made since cruise #2. Of all the changes mentioned, I guess the ones I would applaud the most are the shelf that has been added in the bathrooms under the vanity and the removal of the lips on the stairs. We used the outside aft stairs almost exclusively, and I had to run a mental reminder each time to "look down". Thanks for the time you spent writing the review! Glad to know you had such a good time!

Beth

Actually there are still lips, but there was speculation they were "shaved" down since they didn't seem to be dangerously high or anything. You do have to look down and be aware, but I don't think they are the problem they were, and also didn't notice any around the dance floors - I believe that also was an early criticism. I seem to remember the same situation on other ships - perhaps they are there so water doesn't run down the steps - can't say for sure. But they are all marked "watch your step" as well as overhead signs to "mind your head". Be safe! Enjoy!

Thanks for your balanced review; all the details you provided are most helpful in my planning. I did make final payment thanks in part to your positive posts while on board (and others who were posting in a similar vein on other boards as well).

LTT, thanks so much for all the updates during your trip and for the great informative review!!! I can't even think of any questions right now that you didn't address--but no doubt I will. We're just about set to book for 2011.

We just got the 2011 brochure in the mail and it feels like deja vu all over again as the original post started out saying OMG -- just got the VTA 2010 brochure. They earned the trip this time and we shall sign up for 2011 Palmyra for sure. I see this time they are doing the trip in reverse starting in Greece with extra days at the end in Cairo, instead of the other way around.

We just got the 2011 brochure in the mail and it feels like deja vu all over again as the original post started out saying OMG -- just got the VTA 2010 brochure. They earned the trip this time and we shall sign up for 2011 Palmyra for sure. I see this time they are doing the trip in reverse starting in Greece with extra days at the end in Cairo, instead of the other way around.

I will plan a full report on the Palmyra itinerary after my cruise.

Are you sure you can't stay on for the next cruise as well.....that's the one I'm targeting for next year. ;) I've wanted to see Leptis Magna for a LONG time and wondered if I'd ever get the chance, given that visas were being denied to Americans for years. I just hope the current situation holds up and that I enjoy my 2010 cruise enough to take another in 2011!

I am not positive but I think the ship (Clipper Adventurer) I was aboard in 2005 was the last ship with Americans on board that was allowed in Libya. We were warned ahead of time that we might not be permitted to dock. Other foreign cruise liners were permitted afterwards but from what I heard, Americans were not permitted on land with the others.

We were to sail along the coast to Leptis Magna and anchor off shore and be taken by zodiacs to the site. This was not permitted and instead we were bussed there from port. Maybe it was so they could keep better track of us or maybe it was so more money could be made by supplying the transportation.

It was a truly amazing experience to visit Leptis Magna and I feel so fortunate to have the privilege to have been there. One thing I will never forget also is that some Libyans would approach us and say "thank you for coming".

I hope that everything goes well for your voyage.

I am not positive but I think the ship (Clipper Adventurer) I was aboard in 2005 was the last ship with Americans on board that was allowed in Libya. We were warned ahead of time that we might not be permitted to dock. Other foreign cruise liners were permitted afterwards but from what I heard, Americans were not permitted on land with the others.

We were to sail along the coast to Leptis Magna and anchor off shore and be taken by zodiacs to the site. This was not permitted and instead we were bussed there from port. Maybe it was so they could keep better track of us or maybe it was so more money could be made by supplying the transportation.

It was a truly amazing experience to visit Leptis Magna and I feel so fortunate to have the privilege to have been there. One thing I will never forget also is that some Libyans would approach us and say "thank you for coming".

I hope that everything goes well for your voyage.

Thanks for sharing that story. :) I'm sure it will be one for the memory banks when (I won't say if) I see it for myself.

Thanks for the heads up Doubloon. I read through the review posted by Wave466. It certainly is a glowing review, except that there are still problems with the aircon which is disappointing. I was interested, Wave466, that you mention that you had a verandah cabin and your report header shows that you were in cabin 546. However according to the V2A brochure 546, as a category G cabin, does not have a verandah. I'm interested because we have booked a category G cabin. :confused:

At the time, out of respect, I wore very light weight long pants and a top with sleeves and would today if I returned. I am sure you will see everything now so whatever makes you comfortable. Maybe not shorts or a very short skirt though.

Learned about the Macabi Travel Skirt that looks better in real life than it does on its website photos that works both as a skirt and a pair of "pants", and has nice deep pockets with security features: http://www.macabiskirt.com/ I got the "regular" length which is more serviceable and looks better than the long one they show in their photos with not as much fabric to bunch up when converting the skirt into "pants".

These are better photos from their website link to "ways to wear it": http://www.macabiskirt.com/photos-of-lengths-and-ways-to-wear

Well, I just made a first payment on the Black Sea cruise in July 2011. I'll also be travelling on the first cruise of the season in March. My 2011 tavelling budget is well and truly spent. Can't wait to see all the improvements and finally find out if Rey, the waiter, and his wife had a boy or another girl! Shar

Finally home at last and have time to let you all know how my cruise from Venice to Anthens was that departed Venice on 24 August.

To summarize the whole experience: Simply fantastic!

From the 'horror' stories that had been submitted to this and other forums we expected the worst but were delighted by the charm and treatment given in the refurb of this old ship and the fantastic organisation of the staff and crew who all made our cruise on the Aegean Odyssey simply the best we have done.

We travelled with many other well seasoned cruisers who all agreed this cruise to be one of their best trips ever also.

Yes there are a few small issues on board that need to be sorted out particularly the soot emitted from the ship which is surely an environmental hazard but which we were told would be addressed and corrected when the ship goes in for maintenance at the end of the cruise season.

None of these issues spoilt our experience and our odyssey continued with all of the great tours on our itinerary which all went to plan and organised with military precision. Thanks to Alex Ariotti and her staff! The only disappointment was that the ship was unable to traverse the Corinth Canal as planned due to debris still to be cleared from the rock falls in July but we were all treated to an alternative tour to Olympia which was extremely interesting to all.

Our favorite ports of call were Zadar, Split, Korcula and Dubrovnik but our private viewing of St Mark's Basilica in Venice under lights was simply breathtaking and certainly a highlight.

The food onboard was of a good standard and selections available were also very good. Service from all waiting and drinks staff was exceptional and we are missing being greeted by our name at every meal time now we are home.

The room stewards also did a wonderful job and are worth their weight in gold! The cabins were on the smaller side compared to other industry standards but were exceptionally comfortable and if possible book on Deck 7 which was just so close to everything.

The lectures were interesting to many of us who went on this cruise and our thirst for knowledge has been awoken particularly due to the often entertaining lectures by Thomas Mannack.

Prices of drinks onboard also was very reasonable and the free house wines at dinner were all extremely nice and came from each of the countries we visited- Italy, Croatia and Greece!

As we had late night departures out of Athens the company organises those travelling later in the day access to lounges at the Hotel Grand Bretagne which gave us a good base to continue our quest for more history by visiting the New Acropolis Museum and some more last minute shopping and some comfortable rest before our flights back to Oz.

As stated above our experience was fantastic making many new friends from all over the world and enjoying simply the best cruise ever.

To say we would recommend the Voyages to Antiquity cruises would be an understatement but we suggest you do book early as the secret is now out.

Yes all fledgling company's in the cruise industry have had problems in the early stages and this includes some of the biggest cruise operators but it is obvious that this company has acted quickly to ensure your experience will be a positive one and one that you will remember with great fondness forever.

Simply a fantastic experience!

Archived