When to book Voyager August 6 Venice?

cs1

I am thinking about this cruise but have some concerns. I understand that certain ships (like a Princess Baltic cruise we were on) let cabins go last minute for very reduced rates. If I wind up paying a lot for this cruise and then find people paying a fraction, I won't be thrilled. Do you think that if I secure a cabin now it will go down in price or should I wait it out? Thanks!

Cyndy

I am thinking about this cruise but have some concerns. I understand that certain ships (like a Princess Baltic cruise we were on) let cabins go last minute for very reduced rates. If I wind up paying a lot for this cruise and then find people paying a fraction, I won't be thrilled. Do you think that if I secure a cabin now it will go down in price or should I wait it out? Thanks!

Cyndy

Book now, if the rates go down, you Travel Agent should be able to get the reduced rates for you.

Book now, if the rates go down, you Travel Agent should be able to get the reduced rates for you.

Not once they are past final payment date. Only before. And that is when large price drops will occur, IF they occur.

cs1, you sound intensely sensitive to this possibility.

Cruising may not be for you, if knowing that someone else got a lower price than you would make you miserable.

I was looking at Voyager prices for this August (about 60 days or so prior) and I was seeing some very good prices. There was also a LOT of availability.

That being said, airfare was not a bargain, although there was still decent availability on flights. I think it was running about $1500pp EWR-BCN round trip.

Cyndy

If you're flying to Venice from the U.S. you need to consider your airfare which can become more complicated than booking your cruise. We "picked" our recent Mediterranean cruise in January but it took us about two weeks until we could settle on flights and pre/post cruise hotels for four people. Then we actually booked the cruise. There are a lot of variables. Non-stop? Stops? Airports? How many days to arrive in advance? Frequent flier miles? Airline preference? Times of arrivals and departures? Do you want to leave the day of disembarkation? Will you have time to get off the ship, get to the airport, and go through several tiers of security?

I would start shopping airfares. The cruise line will honor a price drop (sometimes) but the airline definitely won't.

If you're flying to Venice from the U.S. you need to consider your airfare which can become more complicated than booking your cruise. We "picked" our recent Mediterranean cruise in January but it took us about two weeks until we could settle on flights and pre/post cruise hotels for four people. Then we actually booked the cruise. There are a lot of variables. Non-stop? Stops? Airports? How many days to arrive in advance? Frequent flier miles? Airline preference? Times of arrivals and departures? Do you want to leave the day of disembarkation? Will you have time to get off the ship, get to the airport, and go through several tiers of security?

I would start shopping airfares. The cruise line will honor a price drop (sometimes) but the airline definitely won't.

That's not necessarily so. I know Continental will reduce previously booked fares if the new price exceeds the old by a certain amount, $150 I think. I've seen comments that other airlines do the same.

However, history teaches me that airfares go up a lot more often then down. :o

Archived