handicap parking near the oasis of the seas terminal in fort lauderdale florida

puddingpie1960

Yes, I found handicapped parking next to the terminal in the parking garage. To get free parking on exiting, you will need to present the toll booth operator with your driver's license, fill out a form, have the attendant observe your handicapped plate or hanger and adaptive equipment. They are much more fussy than Miami or Port Canaveral, but it is do-able.

Yes, I found handicapped parking next to the terminal in the parking garage. To get free parking on exiting, you will need to present the toll booth operator with your driver's license, fill out a form, have the attendant observe your handicapped plate or hanger and adaptive equipment. They are much more fussy than Miami or Port Canaveral, but it is do-able.

this is the first time i am hearing that handicap parking in ft lauderdale is free. always was able to get free parking in miami but never ft lauderdale. the only adaptive i have is a wheelchair in addition to my placard. will this qualify?

this is the first time i am hearing that handicap parking in ft lauderdale is free. always was able to get free parking in miami but never ft lauderdale. the only adaptive i have is a wheelchair in addition to my placard. will this qualify?

My wheelchair lift and turn-signal modification qualified me. It also helps if you have a Florida Transportation Disadvantaged sticker http://www.dot.state.fl.us/ctd/tollpermit/tollpermit.htm

The adaptive device thing is key because so many people were taking advantage of the free parking with borrowed cars! I have family who cruise out of FLL often and never could even get an HC parking place. They didn't mind paying for the parking but needed the good HC parking spot.

Now with the checking for the adaptive device, they can get a good HC parking spot and the free parking (if they arrive early enough to get a space).

Edited by PennyAgain

• 3 years later...

Just wondering we have a lift because our son is in an electric chair and also have the hc tag. We have never paid for parking when he is with us at port canaveral wondering if FFL will be the same?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Just wondering we have a lift because our son is in an electric chair and also have the hc tag. We have never paid for parking when he is with us at port canaveral wondering if FFL will be the same?

Here is the text from the port website regarding the disabled parking.

In 1996 the Broward County Board of Commissioners, acting under authority of Florida Statute 316.1959, elected to charge disabled patrons of the Port Everglades parking facilities the same fees as are applied to all other patrons; and that pursuant to Section 3 of Statute 316.1964, "When a state, county, or municipal parking facility or lot is being used in connection with an event at a convention center, cruise-port terminal, sports stadium, coliseum, or auditorium, the parking facility may charge a person whose vehicle displays such a permit a parking fee in the same manner and amount as it charges other persons."

However, pursuant to Section 8 of the latter statute, any vehicle with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by the person who has a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker, is exempt from any parking fees in Port Everglades.

Here is how to request free parking at Port Everglades:

At the entry of the Port Everglades parking garage, pull a parking ticket from the automated machine and get the attention of one of the parking agents in an adjacent exit booth. Advise that parking agent that you would like a disability waiver of parking. The parking agent will telephone for a parking supervisor who will come to the booth and examine your vehicle to determine if the driver/vehicle meets the criteria for a parking waiver. The parking supervisor will inspect the vehicle to determine if a Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker is affixed to it and/or if the vehicle has specialized equipment and a hanging tag from the Division of Motor Vehicles verifying the equipment.

When the parking supervisor verifies that a disability waiver of parking is allowable, the driver's name and address and the registration number on the sticker or hanging tag will be recorded on the parking ticket by that parking supervisor and the parking supervisor will sign the ticket. At this point the driver will be given the parking ticket and directed to enter the garage.

Upon exit, the parking ticket with the recorded information and the parking supervisor's signature will be surrendered to the exit parking attendant and no parking fees will be charged.

For more information on disabled toll permits or to obtain a Florida Turnpike toll exemption sticker, visit the Florida Commission on the Transportation Disadvantaged website.

Here is the direct link to that website: http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/disabled-parking/

So since you have a lift and if you have a handicap tag, or hang tag, you would be fine.