Ponta Delgada

Have you gone over to TripAdvisor.com and posted over there. I feel bad that no one has answered you yet over here. There seems to be more resident experts over on that website who might be able to give you more detailed answers.

Good luck! We'll be on Sao Miguel on a Saturday and I know that most of the shops will be open a half day. I imagine the shops in the mall not far from the docks will be open all day Sat.

Happy travels.

We recently spent our 2nd visit in Ponta DelGada and had an absolutely lovely day. Our mistake on our previous visit was just to spend the day in town. On Sunday, you are going to find that nearly every store will be closed. On the other hand, this island is full of some stunning beauty and we loved having a rental car and simply spending a good part of the day driving (getting a rental car on a Sunday might be a problem). We didn't recall seeing any supermarket close to the port although we did find a smaller mini-market where we were able to buy some coke light.

Hank

Ok, you're not going to Punta Delgada for the SHOPS! Or probably even the food! You're there to see the beautiful vistas in the mountains! We booked a tour with cruise critics people (I can't remember what company, had a big bus and about 32 people. Ended up being about $30/pp. Great deal. Lasted about 4-5 hours. Went to Sete Cidades, that little town up there (I don't know what it's called), several beautiful photo op stops, and pineapple plantation. Wonderful time.

We weren't expecting anything great from this stop. We were just glad to stop somewhere after crossing the atlantic. It is true when they say if Ireland and Hawaii had a baby, it would be the Azores! Enjoy!

Check with a local as to the big Supermarket being open. I've been a couple of times and it's amazing ~~huge! Just to see all the fresh fish is worth the trip ~there's a small coffee shop just outside ~great spot for people watching ~

Have fun!

Martita B

• 9 months later...

We will be coming through Ponta Delgada on a return Trans Atlantic on the NCL Epic. Is there a convenient place to get my VAT refund near where the ships dock? Since we are not flying home will not be going through any airports.

Archived