Is there no longer "semi-formal" nights?

Canuckdoc

The last time I was on a celebrity cruise was 2006 - 12 day mediterranian..

I remember the evening dress code being

formal - dark suit/tux

Semi formal - most men wore suit jackets and ties

Casual - most guys left the jacket and tie in the room..

I REALLY don't want this to turn into a long thread about being raised properly, and dress code and what not...

I'm just curious if the 'semi-formal' night has been replaced with Smart casual all nights but Formal..

formal - dark suit/tux

I REALLY don't want this to turn into a long thread about being raised properly, and dress code and what not...

I'm just curious if the 'semi-formal' night has been replaced with Smart casual all nights but Formal..

Yes, unfortunately, it has. And formal night has been replaced with anything goes.....:(

hmmm...that's a little disappointing. However, I don't think it'll change my packing strategy, I think my smart casual might be semi-formal (or even formal) to many others...

But I have no problems being the best dressed guy in the room..

Like I always say, you can never be over dressed...most of the time it makes you look like you've got better places to be...

I guess that won't really apply on the ship though...;)

hopefully without the semiformal nights, more people will dress for formal nights. With airlines charging for luggage these days, it can get expensive for those of us who have to fly to pack tuxes and formals, and the inbetween stuff. We love to dress up in formal attire and always do, but the semiformal has always, for us been kind of difficult.

formal - dark suit/tux

The dress code on nights that are not formal nights is "smart casual and above".

Sue

Yes, no more semi formal Yay!!! Formal and smart casual, 2 formals on a 7 night, 3 on a 10 night. Sure will make packing easier, and lighter!!

Many are reporting that 10+ night cruises are having only 2 formal nights...although celebrity website states there are 3.

hmmm...that's a little disappointing. However, I don't think it'll change my packing strategy, I think my smart casual might be semi-formal (or even formal) to many others...

But I have no problems being the best dressed guy in the room..

Like I always say, you can never be over dressed...most of the time it makes you look like you've got better places to be...

I guess that won't really apply on the ship though...;)

I'm with you. We dress semi-formal and formal only when we cruise. It's the only time that we get to do that, and we both like it. (We never did "casual" anyway, except for the last night if we were flying out the day we docked.)

Many are reporting that 10+ night cruises are having only 2 formal nights...although celebrity website states there are 3.

According to the portion of the Celebrity website that I'm looking at, there are 2 formal nights on cruises of 7 through 11 nights; 3 on cruises of 12 nights or more. Knowing the Celebrity website, it wouldn't surprise me if in another section they say something different.

Sadly, for a very few who seem unable to comply with the very simple dress code in this regard.

did you ever take into consideration that some people just cant wear certain things that others can...people are so willing to judge without the facts...I have a disease that afftects my skin and in no way can I put on shimmery, silky or chiffon type materials or high heels with skinny straps but believe me I do my best to dress as formal as I can with the materials out there that I have to work with...and the shoes that my feet can handle...so comply? I think was a bad choice of words...

There were three formal nights on our May, 14 night, Baltic cruise on the Eclipse. We wish there were less.;)

did you ever take into consideration that some people just cant wear certain things that others can...people are so willing to judge without the facts...I have a disease that afftects my skin and in no way can I put on shimmery, silky or chiffon type materials or high heels with skinny straps but believe me I do my best to dress as formal as I can with the materials out there that I have to work with...and the shoes that my feet can handle...so comply? I think was a bad choice of words...

Perhaps I should hve been more specific, since I was only referring to the male gender.

I'm with you. We dress semi-formal and formal only when we cruise. It's the only time that we get to do that, and we both like it. (We never did "casual" anyway, except for the last night if we were flying out the day we docked.)

Me too.

I may dress like a sloth at home, but when I'm on the high seas, I dress up.

Of course I'll be driving from Texas to Fort Lauderdale, so I can pack like I'm moving in....:eek:

PS: I never repeat an outfit during a cruise....

Me too.

I may dress like a sloth at home, but when I'm on the high seas, I dress up.

Of course I'll be driving from Texas to Fort Lauderdale, so I can pack like I'm moving in....:eek:

PS: I never repeat an outfit during a cruise....

A girl after my own heart. You should have seen how much luggage we had on our first cruise - the only one where we did not have to fly!

Sue

I REALLY don't want this to turn into a long thread about being raised properly, and dress code and what not... You provided the gasoline and matches, flames are not optional ;)

I'm just curious if the 'semi-formal' night has been replaced with Smart casual all nights but Formal.. YES

We are in need of entertainment and tis the season for reruns...

I am just back from the Alaskan cruise on the Mercury, i spent ages talking to people on here who said i must dress smart etc... so i bought alot of new smart clothes, there was hardly anyone dressing smart, even on formal nights people had beige trousers with trainers on and just a polo shirt

I thought it spoilt it a little with peoples lack of effort to dress up, i thought i wasnt going to enjoy this part but i really did

Shame

Wow, I thought that this tread would be one response and done.. I mean, it was a yes or no question...

although, I agree it's interesting....and I DID provide the kerosine

I would just like to add that many of the personal avatars that people post are of themselves on formal night with formal dress.

As long as the guy in a polo and khakis doesn't jump into the frame..I don't think it'll matter in the long run...

My wife and I always try to dress well even for every day activities, and you know what, we're always treated really, really well.

We've never once had to complain about service anywhere..

I wonder if it's the t-shirt and chino guys in the MDR who complain most about not being treated like kings...

My wife and I always try to dress well even for every day activities, and you know what, we're always treated really, really well.

We've never once had to complain about service anywhere..

I wonder if it's the t-shirt and chino guys in the MDR who complain most about not being treated like kings...

We have the same philosophy and it has treated us very well. Got upgraded to business class once (to solve a ticketing screw up) to Europe and I'm convinced it was because I was wearing a blue blazer etc and of course everyone else looked like tourist trash, lol.... But worked for me!!

Perhaps I should hve been more specific, since I was only referring to the male gender.

thank you...sorry too I did not mean to be harsh...it is frustrating to be in a position that there are these beautiful sparkly clothes that I will never be able to wear...I do worry what I will wear to daughters wedding (someday)...now hubby just can not handle ties...believe me he tries but I cant stand anything around my neck so I can understand...always wonder how other wear turtlenecks and ties...lol...sorry again...I read these boards and read and rarely post but since I have been trying to put all my "cruise clothes" together it hit a nerve...

btw, we are never treated rudely...and we dont wear our sweats on board...

Archived