Kids On European Holiday Cruise?

While we have a reservation on the Explorer Xmas/NYE (14 day) cruise out of Cape Liberty this December, it's somewhat of a "been there/done that" for the family as we took the same cruise last year and have done two other Caribbean cruises.

We're thinking of trying the Brilliance out of Barcelona on 12/17 for 12 days instead. The biggest downside to the change woulbe, of course, be airfare, since we can drive to Cape Liberty. What should we expect as far as teens and young 20-somethings? The boys are 16 and 20. Will it be an overwhelming preponderance of Europeans (not that there's anything wrong with that ;))? Will there be plenty of kids for them?

On a separate note, what about shore excursions? It seems that the cost for some of them -- like Alexandria -- are sky high. Any thoughts?

A third option altogether is an all-inclusive resort like Beaches or Sandals. Thoughts on that are also welcome.

Thanks for your input.

While I can personally comment on the experience yet, Ramses has great private tour options to the Pyramids for one day or overnight.

Based on the pricing I have for my upcoming cruise, a family of 4 would be $100 per person for the one day.

Thanks. I'm specifically interested in whether one could expect a reasonable number of American kids on board. I know the Caribbean trips are loaded with teens and early 20 somethings at Xmas time, but how about over there?

Anyone?

Thanks.

Thanks. I'm specifically interested in whether one could expect a reasonable number of American kids on board. I know the Caribbean trips are loaded with teens and early 20 somethings at Xmas time, but how about over there?

Anyone?

Thanks.

I can't speak to the December holidays, but we took this cruise with teens in the middle of the summer break. I would not say there were tons of kids in this age bracket on board, but there were some. Many more Europeans than Americans.

The biggest problem we had was, like you, we were traveling with one under and one over 18. They were in a tough position in the evenings because one wasn't allowed in the teen club, and one wasn't allowed in the disco.

The cruise was very port intensive, so they really didn't have days with time to kill on the boat, and what they did have was spent by the pool.

Somebody already mentioned private excursions in Alexandria. We had an awesome experience with Memphis Tours, but if you check the Africa & Middle East Ports of Call boards you'll see recommendations for several private companies in Egypt. I think they are much less expensive than the ship tours, and from what I experienced and what I've read on the boards, they are safe and reputable.

We did Med in the summer, tons of kids probably a 1/3 US, 2/3 European and South American. My daughter who was 8 at the time loved the club, my two older ones 12 an 14 less so as the teen club seemed to be dominated by groups of kids kind of like HS and very closed even with the best efforts of the club hosts. Everytime we did a holiday type cruise it was packed with kids, but Europe will likely have demographics that are less than pefect for us from US if the club is a priority.

As to excursions welcome to the Med, the ship offered excursions are very pricey and privateor DIY are the way to go. I looked hard at doing Egypt a few years ago but got voted down by eveyone else in my group. You might want to try the African Ports of call boards. There are several highly recommended private guides/operators there. Egypt is one of the places one needs to be very carefuly about who you select given all the issues of the place.

Good luck,

While we have a reservation on the Explorer Xmas/NYE (14 day) cruise out of Cape Liberty this December, it's somewhat of a "been there/done that" for the family as we took the same cruise last year and have done two other Caribbean cruises.

We're thinking of trying the Brilliance out of Barcelona on 12/17 for 12 days instead. The biggest downside to the change woulbe, of course, be airfare, since we can drive to Cape Liberty. What should we expect as far as teens and young 20-somethings? The boys are 16 and 20. Will it be an overwhelming preponderance of Europeans (not that there's anything wrong with that ;))? Will there be plenty of kids for them?

On a separate note, what about shore excursions? It seems that the cost for some of them -- like Alexandria -- are sky high. Any thoughts?

A third option altogether is an all-inclusive resort like Beaches or Sandals. Thoughts on that are also welcome.

Thanks for your input.

Archived