HELP planning cruise for 5 adults, 2 teens, 1child?

hi,

what would be the most inexpensive way to book a cruise for these people,,,,are there any rooms that would hold that many people? can you get connecting rooms? which cruise line? which time of year? willing to take kids out of school for a week (2 are home schooled anyway),,,,,HELP!!

thanks so much, wendy

The most inexpensive way would be 2 cabins with 4 people in each. You should be able to find 2 connecting cabins.

While that may be the most inexpensive way, it might not be the most comfortable (unless you're all REALLY close, easy going and neat freaks). 4 to a cabin is a tight squeeze, especiall if 4 are adults (and lets face it, teens are adult sized).

I would suggest going with 3 cabins for sanity's sake. 2 adults per cabin and 1 adult in the 3rd. Split the kids up any way that makes sense (ie, if there is 1 kid per family, or 2 teens with the single adult etc).

Have fun planning your cruise. To me, planning is half the fun!

Go to a travel agency and get brochures......start with Carnival, RCCL, NCL and Princess. Check out the different itineraries and room configurations. Narrow your choices down. Then, go to a website like expedia and check out prices for various sailings. Cruises will be most expensive when the majority of kids are on vacation (summer, holidays). Be careful with going really off season though. You'll be taking a chance with hurricane season, for example. Sometimes, it will be cold leaving from and arriving back to the port (example: New Orleans in winter....some people don't realize the first and last day of their cruise might be too cold to enjoy the pool) Also, there will be less kids on board for the children's programs. Another point to ask.......not all cruise lines have year round programs. Since you are willing to take the kids out of school, I would suggest a "shoulder" season, like May, just before the kids get out for the summer. The rates would still be lower than in June. Another thing to check out is the cost to get to the port (can you drive or must you fly). Again, go to a travel website and compare prices. One more thing, the newer/bigger the ship, the more expensive. For example, the new Carnival ships will be more expensive than the Fantasy Class, like the Elation, which is still a great ship.

After you've narrowed down to a few choices, pick a travel agent (in person or on line or through the cruise line) and make your final decision.

Have fun planning. (ps......your kids will love looking at all those brochures with you)

We got the rooms on Costa's Atlantica Western Car. for $550 per a person with four per a cabin for an unobstructed balcony room. Right now there is a promotion where you get the second two people for free you only pay the port fees and taxes on them. That is how it ends up being $550 per person after all taxes and port fees. Hopefully you find something good :) We are going for 7 nights starting March 13th. We just booked it a couple weeks ago.

Amy

Wendy,

Im inclined to agree with everyone else, there is no way you want to even consider putting everyone together. Just 2 adults trying to take showers and dress can pose a challenge. There are connecting cabins but they are few and far between. If you want all the rooms close you will need to book early. Call the cruiseline, they know the layout pretty well. To save money overall, Carnival tends to have lower fares. May is a great time to cruise, you just miss the price hike. The cruiselines all know when kids are out of school and you will pay the premium for that. Remember 3-4th passengers pay about half and you usually spend little time in your room. In May my husband and I will be taking our 2 boys 10 and 13 for the first time and we are staying in an inside cabin. This is a first for me and I just hope it works out. Just look at who gets along, where can families be broken up etc. Good luck!!

hi,

what would be the most inexpensive way to book a cruise for these people,,,,are there any rooms that would hold that many people? can you get connecting rooms? which cruise line? which time of year? willing to take kids out of school for a week (2 are home schooled anyway),,,,,HELP!!

thanks so much, wendy

You're best bet is to get a TA that doesn't surcharge and have her/him hunt the specials. They get hundreds weekly and know what specials are being launched ahead of the general public release date. If you book early enough you can get the early bird discount on booking, or 3/4 promo sale, plus if you're flexible on your dates, you can hit off season, right after Thanksgiving and the first week in Dec are lower, sometimes the beginning of January is lower and so is Sept and Oct though that is hurricane season and you might hit some rain and waves, depending on your itinerary.

Please remember that though we all have a budget, there is so much more to cruise value than pricing.

I will honestly tell you that four people packed in a room is no bargain!

Take the time to do the homework and let it be the dream vacation you envision, not a nightmare in the making. If you're miserable you will have wasted your money, no matter what 'bargain' rate you received.

If I can help more let me know.

I an only offer my own experience. We once booked a quad when our childen were younger. The bickering that went on in our romm just wsn't worth it. Luckily for us, we approached the purser and were able to get another room for the kids. I THEN had a great vacation! Jus to remind you, some cruise lines have family rooms and some have larger cabins than others. RCCL has the smallest ones, and I believe Crnival has the largest! On Carnival there is a cat called 1a. This cat has 2 beds, however they are an upper and a lower. It is very inexpensive and can nicely accomodate 2 children or two teens.

Archived