Room Service - Gluten Free

CruiseShelly

Hi All

Thanks for the info, I have Celiac and will be sailing on the Jade to Europe October 24. NCL has been excellant about sending me emails and ordering food. I can't wait to experience the ship.

We are also spending 4 days in Paris before the cruise and doing my homework, I found some wonderful web sites that address eating GF in Paris including grocery stores. I can post the links if anyone would like them.

Lynda

Hi All

Thanks for the info, I have Celiac and will be sailing on the Jade to Europe October 24. NCL has been excellant about sending me emails and ordering food. I can't wait to experience the ship.

We are also spending 4 days in Paris before the cruise and doing my homework, I found some wonderful web sites that address eating GF in Paris including grocery stores. I can post the links if anyone would like them.

Lynda

Lynda,

I would love the Paris links too. My email address is kmchppll@gmail.com if you dont want to post the links here.

I have a lot of info about Florence Italy and Venice. If anyone is looking for such info, just send me an email.

Kim

Here are the links to GF paris:

http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/14-french.html

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/10/glutenfree-eati/

http://www.celiacchicks.com/2008/11/paris-gluten-fr.html

Armed with this info, I am confident I can travel as long as I am careful. I also intend to pack snacks and some of my favorite bread just in case.

Lynda

Here are the links to GF paris:

http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/14-french.html

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/10/glutenfree-eati/

http://www.celiacchicks.com/2008/11/paris-gluten-fr.html

Armed with this info, I am confident I can travel as long as I am careful. I also intend to pack snacks and some of my favorite bread just in case.

Lynda

Thanks Lynda! Very helpful links.

Kim

My daughter is gf and she hasn't found a bread that she likes - what's the brand name of the one you like?

I am just recently diagnosed and found that UDI from Whole Foods is a good sliced bread. I also have a woman near me that makes gluten free bagels, bialey's, corn bread, french bread, cookies, pizza's.. she's got a hugeee selection, the bialey's are wonderful ... so's the cornbread.

I know she delivers to certain stores and you can order online..

I would recommend her products highly.

Thank you, Georgette. I just told my daughter about your recommendation for UDI. We have a Whole Foods near here so that's very helpful. Can you post a link to the lady's website for bagels, cornbread, etc.?

My daughter hasn't cruised yet with her gluten free restrictions. She'll be happy to know NCL is so accommodating. It doesn't surprise me. They're great working with special dietary needs.

Thank you, Georgette. I just told my daughter about your recommendation for UDI. We have a Whole Foods near here so that's very helpful. Can you post a link to the lady's website for bagels, cornbread, etc.?

My daughter hasn't cruised yet with her gluten free restrictions. She'll be happy to know NCL is so accommodating. It doesn't surprise me. They're great working with special dietary needs.

NP!

I've seen near me in our local store a hugeeee amount of gluten free breads, pre-sliced... Unsure if they are good - but I've toasted UDI and also made grilled cheese with them and I didn't feel that I missed anything.

Here is the website for the bagels, etc...

I personally didn't care for the bagels... I was making them in the toaster oven.. I'll finish what I purchased, as they weren't cheap.

I love the bialey's like I said, the corn bread is delish! and I loveeeee her english muffins! Unsure if calories is an issue for your daughter, but I watch mine and these items ARE NOT!! diet foods LOL. I think the e'muffins have like 250 calories in 1... that's alot compared to a Thomas', I think.

Her sugar cookies are good too... I purchased sicilian pizza too from her, but haven't tried it yet.

I have also found almond horns and great chocolate chip cookies too in my grocery store and Whole Foods -- they were called Aiele's I believe, but they are in the GF section.. I thought they were much better than any choc chip cookie i've had in my life.. but that's just me, a sweet tooth! LOL

Good luck...

http://www.gfgreatbakes.com/

Does anyone have a list of the foods that are avail to us Gluten Free??

I'm booking the Gem for May and would be interested in seeing whats available..

Thanks!!!

Georgette

Items on the GF list include:

a few flavors of cookies (Pamala's brand--they are good)

Sliced Bread (needs to be toasted)

Hot Dog Buns (ask them to toast)

Hamburger Buns (ask them to toast)

Pasta: Several shapes and sizes

English Muffins

Blueberry Muffins

Waffles

Seasonings and Sauces

Pizza crusts

Just be sure to order from the list in enough time before you sail.

I am doing the 12 night Dawn repo cruise in October and plan on writing a GF review to post when I return.

-Kim

Items on the GF list include:

a few flavors of cookies (Pamala's brand--they are good)

Sliced Bread (needs to be toasted)

Hot Dog Buns (ask them to toast)

Hamburger Buns (ask them to toast)

Pasta: Several shapes and sizes

English Muffins

Blueberry Muffins

Waffles

Seasonings and Sauces

Pizza crusts

Just be sure to order from the list in enough time before you sail.

I am doing the 12 night Dawn repo cruise in October and plan on writing a GF review to post when I return.

-Kim

Perfect - thanks!

Have a great time on your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Myself & my TA have notified NCL on me being a Celiac for an upcoming cruise. (November 2010). We will be on the Jade. We notified the access desk via email. This was almost a month ago. To date, neither of us has heard back from NCL. Is there another way to get the order form you speak about? I would like to know beforehand as I'm already comprising a suitcase full of edibles for this cruise and would rather not have to pack stuff for food.

Myself & my TA have notified NCL on me being a Celiac for an upcoming cruise. (November 2010). We will be on the Jade. We notified the access desk via email. This was almost a month ago. To date, neither of us has heard back from NCL. Is there another way to get the order form you speak about? I would like to know beforehand as I'm already comprising a suitcase full of edibles for this cruise and would rather not have to pack stuff for food.

I, too, emailed about, hmmm 2-3 weeks ago and haven't heard back anything from NCL. I did ask my TA to add it to our booking, which she emailed and said she did.

I'm not a Celiac, I'm just allergic to wheat. I have no problem with oats, tapioca or rye.

Wheat seems to give me the most issues. I'm in the process of seeing an allergist now to narrow down, if we can, what I'm allergic too.

Good luck! Let me know if you find anything out, I'll do the same.

I, too, emailed about, hmmm 2-3 weeks ago and haven't heard back anything from NCL. I did ask my TA to add it to our booking, which she emailed and said she did.

I'm not a Celiac, I'm just allergic to wheat. I have no problem with oats, tapioca or rye.

Wheat seems to give me the most issues. I'm in the process of seeing an allergist now to narrow down, if we can, what I'm allergic too.

Will do! I'm still wondering how people know what kinds of bread, etc. is offered if the access desk doesn't respond. They must have some other way of contacting NCl. If so does anyone know?

Your cruise is months and months away. They handle requests in cruise date order. Your request has no urgency at the moment. You need to be patient.

Will do! I'm still wondering how people know what kinds of bread, etc. is offered if the access desk doesn't respond. They must have some other way of contacting NCl. If so does anyone know?

Cruiznagain --- I rec'd an email today regarding the GF menu --- did you??

I'm unsure how to order the food though --- for example, they say hamburger bun or bread -- is it a loaf - that would last a week?

Maybe someone who's ordered the GF menu before can let me know ;)

Thanks!

I'm unsure how to order the food though --- for example, they say hamburger bun or bread -- is it a loaf - that would last a week?

Thanks!

No, haven't gotten anything. I'm not sure since I didn't get anything. But maybe I'll get something soon or my TA has and she didn't tell me yet. Do we have to order food for our cruise? I'm on a 21 day one. Maybe I can just eat waffles everyday. lol

Thanks!

How long is your cruise?

The bread is a standard size loaf. If you eat a lot of toast, I would order two loaves.

Hamburger buns/hot dog buns come in a set of 6

Pasta is in the same size box as we see at the grocery stores.

Pizza shells are in single servings. So, you you want more than one pizza on the cruise, you should order more servings.

Cookings, waffles, etc all come in the same size box that we see in grocery stores.

The products that they use are known GF brands and come packaged as we buy them in grocery stores. (such as Pam's cookies)

Fax back the list with the quantity number that you desire by each product. Or, I make a list that includes my reservation number and fax that back to the Special Need Department.

We book directly with NCL and I have my Personal Cruise Consultant check on the order with the Special Needs Department. This is one of the reasons that we now book directly with NCL.

Have a great cruise!

Kim

Archived