VISA for Brazil....$212 pp?

kymbakitty

I've been to Brazil several times. You do not need a yellow fever shot to go to Rio.

Although you can get your visa by going to the Embassy, it probably is not worth the effort unless you live close.

And as someone else pointed out each Embassy has somewhat different rules

Unless things have changed since my last trip, you'll have another surprise if you leave the country by air: an exit fee. It was $100 on my last trip ten years ago.

The travel agent was incorrect. You've needed a visa to enter Brazil for at least 20 years although the agent may have been thinking that the paper work is a bit more difficult now. AND you'll probably be fingerprinted (electronically) when you enter the country. No big deal, that is what we do to Brazilians. Don't complain; the agents are friendly, but they don't like complaints.

We are traveling to Ecuador for a Galapagos Island cruise in august, 2011 and to Brazil for Rio to Santiago cruise in Jan. 2012. My question is can the visa service do both visas at one time thus only one delivery fee and postage for the passports. I understand that entering Valpariso (and Easter Island side trip) by ship does not need a visa. Anybody had this situation and able to tell me if doing all at once.

Do I have to worry about the 90 day before travel to Brazil rule. Has it been taken off.

We are traveling to Ecuador for a Galapagos Island cruise in august, 2011 and to Brazil for Rio to Santiago cruise in Jan. 2012. My question is can the visa service do both visas at one time thus only one delivery fee and postage for the passports? I understand that entering Valpariso (and Easter Island side trip) by ship does not need a visa. Anybody had this situation and able to tell me if doing all at once?

Do I have to worry about the 90 day before travel to Brazil rule? Has it been taken off.

We are traveling to Ecuador for a Galapagos Island cruise in august, 2011 and to Brazil for Rio to Santiago cruise in Jan. 2012. My question is can the visa service do both visas at one time thus only one delivery fee and postage for the passports? I understand that entering Valpariso (and Easter Island side trip) by ship does not need a visa. Anybody had this situation and able to tell me if doing all at once?

Do I have to worry about the 90 day before travel to Brazil rule? Has it been taken off.

The 90 days before rule was still in place when I applied for my Brazilian visa in Jan/2011. I have heard that the rule is going to be relaxed because of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics but I don't know when that will happen.

A gate agent at DFW misinterpreted that 90 day rule...telling a passenger that her visa was not valid because she had it issued less than 90 days from her entrance into Brazil. The gate agent thought the visa had to be issued at least 90 days before travel. The passenger's seat was given to someone else on an overbooked flight...what a mess!! There was a good ending...the passenger DID get on our flight..obviously someone suggested checking the Brazilian Consulate website for the correct information..YIKES!

Oh...and that little slip of paper the Brazilian customs/immigration agent gives you when you enter Brazil? KEEP THAT PIECE OF PAPER!! You will need to turn it in when you leave Brazil. We heard people had $99 charges placed on their shipboard account when they couldn't produce that paper upon checking in for the cruise in Rio!

• 7 months later...

We just got ours in Atlanta for Dec Cruise.

- Must print out form from website and complete

- Must get visa pictures taken and glue to form

- Must make reservations for appointment

- Must have proof of cruise itinerary and flight e-tickets (showing onword travel)

- Must be within 90 days of travel

- Must have copy of bank statement (can have account # blacked out)

- Must have 140.00 dollar postal money order

- We had to apply in morning and pickup in afternoon

--- Visa is good for 10 years now

We will pick up our visas from the Brazilian consulate on Friday. There is not a 90 day rule any longer. The process here in Washington DC was very easy and well organized (though it is taking 10 days + to process). We did not have to show financial records though we did have them ready. The postal money order was $140. We are picking up the visa for our cousin and there is not a charge since she filed for her own visa and we have her sheet of paper for pickup (form from web with her picture on it).

The yellow fever shot is only needed if you have traveled within 90 days to a place with yellow fever. If you are traveling into the Amazon area of Brazil then you also will need the yellow fever card showing shot history.

Rio does not have yellow fever mosquitoes. So do not need yellow fever shot to go to Rio if you have not traveled to a yellow fever area in last 90 days.

( I think I have this right in that my yellow fever shot ran out last year and medically it is risky for me to have one if I don't have to so I was checking carefully).

It seems that maybe the Brazilian consulates are a touch friendlier this year (reading the posts from 2010) or maybe we just got lucky but the experience was very pleasant and took about 15 mins. You must use the office that your state is assigned to for filing papers.

As you understand, there are 2 reasons to get a yellow fever shot. One is to protect yourself in an area that has an outbreak. The other is to have a health card stamp showing the vaccination, that then allows you to be admitted to a country which is afraid of your starting an outbreak after you have visited another country that does have yellow fever. Unfortunately, in the second case, I doubt many border agents in the world could differentiate by your passport entry stamp/visa stamp between an area of Brazil which does have yellow fever and one, like Rio, which does not. Whether you have a problem would probably depend on which country you try to enter, how astute the border agents are about which countries have outbreaks, and the timing of your travels.

The Brazil consulate uses 60 days as the cut off as in "Have you been in a country {Equador was listed} within the last 60 days? I was in Equador in August 2011 and applied in November of 2011 and no problem. The shot is good for 10 years but the little yellow paper got raggedy in 8 years:p

we picked up our Brazilian visas today and again a lovely day in DC. The office was much more crowded today (I think everybody came at one time) but the procedure was calm and organized. One man was very disappointed that he could not get a visa in one day. No way No How! Polite but firm.

Visas applied for today (visitor) will receive their visas back on Dec. 1, 2011.

Concerning the yellow fever shot, if I have been to Rio, and I have not had the shot, will

I have any problem getting into any other country in the world?

Thanks Rusty Bucket

I've definitely heard reports that there are some countries that definitely eye brazil stamps suspiciously if you don't have a yellow fever shot. Especially areas in southeast asia I guess. Problem of course is they don't know where in Brazil you were. One never knows what some immigration official is going to decide unfortunately. You'd hope that if you're stamped into Rio on one day, and then leave in the same day or two that some common sense would apply, since it's unlikely you'd have had time to make it somewhere that yellow fever is endemic. (Hmm, although looking at my Brazil stamps, they don't actually indicate where you were stamped at).

(That said, if I wasn't running into immediately issues with needing the yellow fever shot, I probably wouldn't get it myself. But then, I had to get it anyways, so it's kinda moot for me.)

For anybody who is interested, I recently went through the Brazilian visa process in connection with my March 2012 Buenos Aires-Miami cruise on Crystal. My experience is described in several posts on the Roll Call for Crystal Cruise 2206, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426263.

One recommendation: unless you live near a Brazilian consulate, use a visa service, as it's well worth their fee. Most cruise lines recommend a particular service.

Regarding yellow fever, if you travel frequently in yellow fever areas, get the shot for your own protection. It's no big deal and good for 10 years. In 50 years of living and working in Africa and Far East neither my family and I nor my staff have ever had an adverse reaction to the shot.

Archived