VISA for Brazil....$212 pp?

kymbakitty

What I learned last year is the consulate in the major cities they are located will only issue 20 or 25 Visas a day. If you show up with all of your paperwork and they have already hit their "limit" for the day they will make you come back.

When I was researching this last year I read that some people tried for two or three weeks before they finally got in the door of the local consulate.

For me to extra $70+ dollars per person was well worth the lack of frustration.

After reading all of the various "experiences" had by many posters, now I feel like I really want to actually go through the motions to get it myself. I love these types of experiences....yes, I know, we'll spend $72 per person times 5 with our trips and hotels...but we love to go to San Fran and I just consider the whole thing one big journey! I will have a first hand experience to recall also....who knows what interesting people we may meet in the process!

Now it is just more of a "fun" challenge and I have some time (if I was in a hurry, I wouldn't bother).

Plus I can come back and perhaps help someone else that has questions...especially if I have something (different) to offer (little bit updated maybe....but who knows).

Thanks everyone!!!! It is no longer about saving $72....it's reached a whole new level of enjoyment for me!!! (tee hee)

Things we learned last year preparing for the Ft. Lauderdale to Manaus, Brazil cruise:

1. Just make sure you read the requirements for the applicable Brazilian consulate very carefully if you do it yourself. It seems there are a wide range of instructions (some take appointments, some insist on them, others won't take them at all) plus they delineate which consulate you should work with based on your location.
  2. The consulate in Washington DC was most definitely enforcing the within 90 days rule (visa must have been issued within 90 days of entering Brazil - not beginning the cruise) last fall.
  3. Yellow fever shots - as others have mentioned - aren't required for the visa but will be required for entry into Brazil if you have visited a yellow fever area recently. On last year's cruise Devils Island was considered a yellow fever area so it was required for all passengers unless they obtained an official waiver from their doctor.
  4. Yellow fever shots are not available at Safeway (flu shots, yes; pneumonia shots, maybe; yellow fever shots can only be dispensed by specific clinics (ours was designated an 'official vaccination station of the state of Virginia').

Here's what I wrote last year explaining my specific experience:

We are on the Amazon cruise this winter that requires a Brazilian visa. Reading the South America board and some of the roll calls, it is evident that the complexity of applying for and receiving a visa differs from consulate to consulate. I spent almost 1 1/2 hours at the Washington, DC consulate this morning: half an hour waiting for my number to be called; then 15 minutes discussing the 'lack' of a round trip ticket (see last paragraph); 15 minutes on the phone with Princess Customer Service; another wait of 5 or 10 minutes; finally another 15 minutes submitting all the paperwork.

We won't even get our passports back for 3 weeks -- she said not to even bother checking if it is done earlier. She also couldn't confirm whether it would be a 5 year visa or a 1 month visa!!! I asked how the determination was made and she replied that a vice consul makes it. I told her we planned to return to Brazil in the next 5 years but I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll certainly be bummed out if we only receive a 1 month visa after all this time and money ($130 each in 2009)!

The complication was that we are on a Princess air charter out of Manaus to Miami at the end of the cruise and the consulate staff couldn't determine what day and time that was from the Cruise Summary (just said Princess Air to Miami) and the itinerary (ended with the ship's arrival in Manaus). I explained that the details of the charter flight might not be available until a month before departure. She insisted that Princess send them an email with date and time. Customer Service at Princess was perplexed and gave me the same line I had given the consulate ('it might be December before we have specifics') but put me on hold while taking to flight operations (hence the 15 minute wait). She came back and said she would send an 'Air Notification' email to the consulate (and advised me not to count on the times not changing between now and then!). Thank goodness for email and a Customer Service Rep who was willing to track down a response - the consulate received it within seconds and that was sufficient.

Three weeks to the day (not a day earlier or later) I picked up our 5 year visas.

I know we plan to return to Brazil before our visas expire in order to get the most out of our investment!

Do you know why Americans need a visa to enter Braizl, because they have to get a visa to come here. They (Braizl) also only charge what the US visa cost them. I just don't understand why they (countrys) can't all play is the same sandbox.

On the Yellow fever shot. do that sooner, rather than later. IF you have trouble finding the shot. We were told to go to Passport Health, I think they are in most city. Good luck

I don't know if they've changed the rules (and I doubt it to be honest), but our visa actually says that it's only valid if you enter within 90 days (we got it last year). We did ours by mail, because the Chicago consulate allowed that (cost a little more, but was still cheaper than a visa service).

Couple of gotchas. One, they can issue one of two different tourist visas. One of those is the 5 year one, the other is either a 90 day or a 1 year (can't remember). The consulate issues whatever it feels like issueing, and you don't get a say in the matter (that said, I haven't heard of anyone recently that got the short one, but it could happen).

Second, last year some of the consulates made it extremely difficult to actually get in to get the visa (and wouldn't allow submissions by mail). LA was particularly bad from what I remember. Visa services were being allowed only a handfull of submissions a week. As a result, those services were charging premiums of several hundred dollars a visa.

That said, for us the process actually went pretty easily.

5 years ago we were going to Tanzania for a safari and we needed visas and some sort of stamp. I was on spring break (school teacher then) and we live in Maryland close to Washington DC embassy for Tanzania so no problem -- save the fee for 3!

Not easy:eek: You have to know the hours open (seemed to change depending on who you spoke to ?speak English? of course maybe!) and they did not seem to know how to work with somebody walking in the door (which was the first problem finding the door in a not so great neighborhood -- no big sign for sure). Well long story short: 3 trips to the office, waited at least forty minutes each time waiting for the correct person to see then had to leave my American passports in the custody of the "official" who I never really knew who I was working with. Then a week later tried to pick up the papers and the person that had my passport was on "rotation" and would be back in 3 weeks:eek: and I was carrying almost $500 in cash for the fees which changed as the currency rates did :eek: and finally got the paperwork and fees paid and signed and the "official" just stood there like "did you forget something???". I saw many others who brought passports in and had them stamped or were picking them up-- and there seemed to be a routine and less chaos. Maybe that is what the $72 pays for -- a person to go to office at least twice, who knows which of the clerks/officals to smile at ($), and when that smile or etc. is to be picked up. I have since needed visas and said to Princess or Oceania do your thing. For Example Turkey it was $40 for the $20 stamp or you could do it in Turkey. I was SO GLAD I spent the $40 -- There were probably 600 (yes 600!!) people waiting and because we had that little stamp we only had to go to the line with 400 people directly. (and they were all smoking smelly cigarettes). Money can't buy everything but sometimes it sure smooths out the edges.

Do you know why Americans need a visa to enter Braizl, because they have to get a visa to come here. They (Braizl) also only charge what the US visa cost them. I just don't understand why they (countrys) can't all play is the same sandbox.

On the Yellow fever shot. do that sooner, rather than later. IF you have trouble finding the shot. We were told to go to Passport Health, I think they are in most city. Good luck

under the last administration user fees were imposed that were supposed to reflect the actual cost of the service provided. When the Government did this they had little concern on how other governments would react. Brazil reacted by imposing the same cost on US citizens visiting. I had to change planes in Brazil last year and luckily we didn't have to get it but I researched the rules so I would understand them. I saved more than $600 pp changing planes in Brazil and even if I had to pay, I would still be way ahead.

Yellow fever shots use a weakened live virus so personally unless its required I will not do that....

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever.aspx

in 2008, we got our yellow fever shot at the safeway near Geary and Fillmore in SF--maybe it is different in your state...

they had a pharmacist on duty and provided many travel shots. you had to start on the safeway website.

I'm not sure which cruise you are on but check for Argentina and Chile'RECIROCITY FEES>

"THey too are around 150$ per person ...poof out the window for the pleasure of spending your money in their country!!!

Believe it adds uo also there are EXIT fees in certain countries as well ...Argentina charges one ...CHECK

Not cheap BEFORE you put one foot in!!!!

Michele

I am NOT planning to EVER go back there!!!!

in 2008, we got our yellow fever shot at the safeway near Geary and Fillmore in SF--maybe it is different in your state...

they had a pharmacist on duty and provided many travel shots. you had to start on the safeway website.

According to Princess, we do not need shots. If that changes (between now and March), she said (so did my TA) they'll alert all passengers.

I am leaving California on COPA, and 3 hour layover in Panama City and then on to Rio for 2 nights before getting on the Star. We stay another night in Rio and depart on March 10th. We only stop at Salvador and Recife before heading over to the Caribbean. Perhaps this is why we don't need shots.

Fortunately for us, we already booked our flight to Rio so we have paperwork showing our date of entry. We have not booked our return from FLL to Sacramento but I think they could care less since they will clearly see that we finish our vacation in the United States.

I may do a little more research to see how San Francisco's office is....although that can change daily I'm sure.

Great information folks....

Dawn

I am leaving California on COPA, and 3 hour layover in Panama City and then on to Rio for 2 nights before getting on the Star. We stay another night in Rio and depart on March 10th. We only stop at Salvador and Recife before heading over to the Caribbean. Perhaps this is why we don't need shots.

Fortunately for us, we already booked our flight to Rio so we have paperwork showing our date of entry. We have not booked our return from FLL to Sacramento but I think they could care less since they will clearly see that we finish our vacation in the United States.

You probably have everything you need right now (other than it's too soon). Print a copy of your Princess confirmation showing the specific dates you'll be in each port. That will have your names, the name of the ship and the dates on it. That sufficed for us when we obtained our visa in 2005. The confirmation must show the dates, not "Day 1", "Day 2", etc...

I'm not sure which cruise you are on but check for Argentina and Chile'RECIROCITY FEES>

"THey too are around 150$ per person ...poof out the window for the pleasure of spending your money in their country!!!

Believe it adds uo also there are EXIT fees in certain countries as well ...Argentina charges one ...CHECK

Not cheap BEFORE you put one foot in!!!!

Michele

I am NOT planning to EVER go back there!!!!

right now both Chile and Argentina only impose these on those landing at the airport. yes there are some exit fees but they are mostly included in the airfare ticket. If you arrive by ship, they haven't been charging the fee or requiring a Visa....and I was there this year. I paid the one in Argentina but not in Chile leaving from a ship...

Argentina only started collecting it this year(in January I believe)

-There is a Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles. http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/. There are also consulates in Boston, Houston, San Francisco, Miami, Chicago and New York City. As stated, the only embassy is in Washington. Just like for the U.S. (e.g., U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, consulates in Sao Paulo, Rio and Recife). The consulate in L.A. does not offer visas by mail, but other locations-- at least the embassy in Washington-- may. A country's embassy does not necessarily HAVE to be in the other country's capital city, but nearly always is.

-Visas have been required in advance for U.S. tourists for many years, not just since 9/11. I worked at the U.S. Consualte General in Rio in 1993-95, and I had to inform more than one inquiring tourist that airport visas were not obtainable. Airlines normally would not even let someone without a visa to board a flight to Brazil since they'd be responsible for taking the person right back to the U.S. The photos being taken at Brazilian airports were actually a tit-for-tat in reponse to the requirement for foreigners to have their photos taken upon arrival in the U.S. In one famous case, an American airline pilot gave the finger when the photo was taken in Rio or Sao Paulo, and he was fined several thousand dollars.

-Yellow fever vaccination is not required unless you come from an endemic country and is "advisable" if you're going to certain states in Brazil (see http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/files.php?id=5). There are vaccinations recommended for travel to Brazil: check www.cdc.gov, your doctor or a travel medicine clinic.

-Make flight and hotel reservations early for any flights to/from Brazil around Carnaval. Many businesses will be closed from about March 4-13 and people will travel a lot. Many Rio hotels will increase their prices, and require minimum stays, during Carnaval.

-I thought I read that fees for both U.S. visas for Brazilians and Brazilian visas for Americans (done on a reciprocal basis) were going up, but also would have a 10-year vs. 5-year validity.

This may have been covered already but Brazil is not like Russia - you have to have a valid visa to travel on a ship going to Brazil - even if you do not get off the ship.

In Russia you can stay on the ship and not need a visa.

Many other countries' passport holders do not need a visa to visit Brazil which is quite a saving in money and time, UK, Ireland and other European etc.

When we were on Grand Princess the last two years on transatlantics there were people denied boarding at Rome, and others thrown off mid cruise as their visas were either non existent or defective.

-There is a Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles. http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/. There are also consulates in Boston, Houston, San Francisco, Miami, Chicago and New York City. As stated, the only embassy is in Washington. Just like for the U.S. (e.g., U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, consulates in Sao Paulo, Rio and Recife). The consulate in L.A. does not offer visas by mail, but other locations-- at least the embassy in Washington-- may. A country's embassy does not necessarily HAVE to be in the other country's capital city, but nearly always is.

-Visas have been required in advance for U.S. tourists for many years, not just since 9/11. I worked at the U.S. Consualte General in Rio in 1993-95, and I had to inform more than one inquiring tourist that airport visas were not obtainable. Airlines normally would not even let someone without a visa to board a flight to Brazil since they'd be responsible for taking the person right back to the U.S. The photos being taken at Brazilian airports were actually a tit-for-tat in reponse to the requirement for foreigners to have their photos taken upon arrival in the U.S. In one famous case, an American airline pilot gave the finger when the photo was taken in Rio or Sao Paulo, and he was fined several thousand dollars.

-Yellow fever vaccination is not required unless you come from an endemic country and is "advisable" if you're going to certain states in Brazil (see http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/files.php?id=5). There are vaccinations recommended for travel to Brazil: check www.cdc.gov, your doctor or a travel medicine clinic.

-Make flight and hotel reservations early for any flights to/from Brazil around Carnaval. Many businesses will be closed from about March 4-13 and people will travel a lot. Many Rio hotels will increase their prices, and require minimum stays, during Carnaval.

-I thought I read that fees for both U.S. visas for Brazilians and Brazilian visas for Americans (done on a reciprocal basis) were going up, but also would have a 10-year vs. 5-year validity.

It went up from $130 to $140 when the US reset the visa costs earlier this year.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html

This may have been covered already but Brazil is not like Russia - you have to have a valid visa to travel on a ship going to Brazil - even if you do not get off the ship.

In Russia you can stay on the ship and not need a visa.

Many other countries' passport holders do not need a visa to visit Brazil which is quite a saving in money and time, UK, Ireland and other European etc.

When we were on Grand Princess the last two years on transatlantics there were people denied boarding at Rome, and others thrown off mid cruise as their visas were either non existent or defective.

My DH has dual citizenship. If he uses his canadian passport, will he still need a VISA? Never thought that other passports (countries) would be excluded, but of course that makes sense.

Dawn

-T

-Visas have been required in advance for U.S. tourists for many years, not just since 9/11. I worked at the U.S. Consualte General in Rio in 1993-95, and I had to inform more than one inquiring tourist that airport visas were not obtainable..

thanks I stand corrected. I must of confused the picture issue with a visa....

SF embassy site:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_fee_eng.htm

US citizen cost:

Current Brazil reciprocity fee = $140

Service fee (if 3rd Party sub is used) = $20

Total =$160 or $140 (standing in line/doing it yourself/possibly returning later in the day for pickup).

From what I've gathered some of the embassy's will no longer mail the passports back to you any more. It's probably worth checking out with your local consulate, if applicable.

We've used the Travel Visa Pro folks in the past and have been pleased with the services they provide. They charge a $49 service fee in addition to the current $160 consular fee ($140 + $20).

The total current Brazilian visa fee is $209 pp for a 5 year, multiple visit visa is purchased through the Travel Visa Pro folks.

Also, we just used a pre-paid USPO return pouch (versus overnight FedEx stuff)for returning both the passports that also had the confirmation bar code 'thingy'.

Even though I put in for the 20 day/ no rush / least expensive processing time option the passports were returned within 5 business days of confirmed arrival to their office.

Here's their internet link:

http://www.travelvisapro.com/

Good luck.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

My husband and I are spending New Years' in Rio after an Antarctica cruise......my question is about the visa, we still have validity on our 5 year visa from our previous trip to Brazil, however, the visas are in our now expired passports (clearly we have newly issued passports) I saw on the consulate website that you can still use the old passport/visa along with your new passport.

Has anyone experienced this? and can you let me know if there were any issues - my initial thinking is to take that page printed from the consulate with me!

Appreciate any and all assistance.......

My husband and I are spending New Years' in Rio after an Antarctica cruise......my question is about the visa, we still have validity on our 5 year visa from our previous trip to Brazil, however, the visas are in our now expired passports (clearly we have newly issued passports) I saw on the consulate website that you can still use the old passport/visa along with your new passport.

Has anyone experienced this? and can you let me know if there were any issues - my initial thinking is to take that page printed from the consulate with me!

Appreciate any and all assistance.......

Just take both the new and expired passport with visa attached. Take the consular sheet if you want. You will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
We need to get VISAs for our cruise in March 2011, departing Rio.

When I called the number shown on Princess Website, I basically got a company that provides this service which means extra fees.

I could be wrong, but is there any other way to obtain a VISA for Brazil for our cruise that is less than $212 per person?

Incidentially, my TA did not mention this and of course and I found out when I went on My Planner online....but I can imagine that this could really provide a hardship to many folks out there that may not be able to come up with an extra $400. My TA is really on top of things (stated he has been on more than 100 cruises, which I have no reason to doubt) but states that this is a "new" requirement for Brazil. When did the VISA requirement begin for Brazil?

Anyway, I will use the service that Princess offers if there is no other way to obtain our VISA for the Princess cruise. But it sure doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!!!

Dawn

PS I think a VISA for Australia cost us next to nothing! Maybe $20!!!!

Suggest you get a new TA. The Brazil visa fees and requirements have been in effect for over a year.

Be sure to read the instructions very carefully. Everything must be exact or they will refuse the applications.

Also, I believe, the consulate in SF only takes so many applications a day and you must make a reservation.

Also the address on your drivers license must mach the one on the application, so if you have an old address, use the old address on the application.

We are going to Brazil over Christmas and we will use a service. We are an hour out of SF but two trips with gas, parking and bridge tolls make it a no brainer. It also sounds like it is not a pleasant experience.

Suggest you get a new TA. The Brazil visa fees and requirements have been in effect for over a year.

the fees go up every few years [ generally when usa fees go up as its "reciprocal " in theory], but the requirement for a visa goes back , way back , decades and decades ! TA needs homework assignment !!!

SF embassy site:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_fee_eng.htm

US citizen cost:

Current Brazil reciprocity fee = $140

Service fee (if 3rd Party sub is used) = $20

Total =$160 or $140 (standing in line/doing it yourself/possibly returning later in the day for pickup).

From what I've gathered some of the embassy's will no longer mail the passports back to you any more. It's probably worth checking out with your local consulate, if applicable.

We've used the Travel Visa Pro folks in the past and have been pleased with the services they provide. They charge a $49 service fee in addition to the current $160 consular fee ($140 + $20).

The total current Brazilian visa fee is $209 pp for a 5 year, multiple visit visa is purchased through the Travel Visa Pro folks.

Also, we just used a pre-paid USPO return pouch (versus overnight FedEx stuff)for returning both the passports that also had the confirmation bar code 'thingy'.

Even though I put in for the 20 day/ no rush / least expensive processing time option the passports were returned within 5 business days of confirmed arrival to their office.

Here's their internet link:

http://www.travelvisapro.com/

Good luck.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

you are right I am in the process of getting our visa through travel visa pro,your charges are correct had notice visa will be shipped back Oct.5th

about 3 1/2 weeks total dont needed til Feb. decided to get it since old 90 day rule does not apply anymore.

Archived