Rude to skip dinner in the MDR?

algorithmannie

No we do not opt out of auto tipping. Our feeling has always been if we can afford to cruise we can afford to tip. These people work long and hard hours and in most instances have families to support. :)Tipping has always insured us excellent service whether it be on a ship or elsewhere.

Good for you! We agree, but sadly there are a few folks who delight in stiffing the staff and crew.

Good for you! We agree, but sadly there are a few folks who delight in stiffing the staff and crew.

In reality, I don't think there are many people who actually do this. A few years ago someone use to post about not tipping but I am pretty sure that he only did this to be provocative and I never took him seriously. There have also been a number of posts from people who made the assumption that passengers who didn't eat in the main dining room on the last night of a cruise did so to avoid tipping, but there are many people who don't eat in the dining room that last night for a number of different reasons and tip the wait staff at another point in time during the cruise.

Had a hair salon appointment today. Its location is in an affluent area and I have been going there for quite a while. Today, in conversation about kids going back to school and the cost of child care over the summer, the shampoo girl told me that she only makes tips ( not news) and most people don't leave them which really surprised me. She also told me that one lady gave her two dollars and then came back into the salon and asked for it back so she could pay the parking garage.

I mean really, the world has changed and people are just out control.

Had a hair salon appointment today. Its location is in an affluent area and I have been going there for quite a while. Today, in conversation about kids going back to school and the cost of child care over the summer, the shampoo girl told me that she only makes tips ( not news) and most people don't leave them which really surprised me. She also told me that one lady gave her two dollars and then came back into the salon and asked for it back so she could pay the parking garage.

I mean really, the world has changed and people are just out control.

I find just the opposite. I see women leaving huge tips. To me, it is over the top.

Bridge Maven, I didn't think the non-tippers were all that common either. Then last year we asked our waiter how he liked the auto-tipping and he loved it because he was getting more tips than ever and told us that he had been stiffed a lot in the past.

I like the convenience of it. Our waited said he did, too, because the money showed up in his account the every day and not just at the end of the cruise.

Personally, I wouldn't book a table for 2 if I didn't plan on using it. They're few and far between on X ships and there are lots of couples who want them to use for the whole trip and are unable to get them.

Just my $0.02 though- I'd go for Select Dining or a large table and simply notify my waitstaff/tablemates if I wasn't going to be there.

the Op is ' a big deal about this' just to bug..YOU..and it worked..:)

Bigger question is: why did it?

It didn't I just wondered why someone would get themselves all worried about something that really isn't a probelm??? Life is too short!

Moeve, You're correct... we can change our reservations once on-board. This did not initially occur to me. However, I'm definitely not worked up about this concern :) More just interested to get others opinions on the best etiquette. Like many others on CC, I enjoy discussing the subtleties of cruising and hearing what other people think.

I appreciate everyone's input, and it's good to know that we really are encouraged to dine in the specialty restaurants and it isn't rude to abandon our MDR table. We will see about switching to Select Dining, and if it's full, we will just be as considerate as possible.

I have not cruised since auto-tipping became available on Celebrity. My understanding is that it takes care of routine servers - and that one might want to tip additionally (at end of cruise?) for superior service.

...But what about specialty restaurants. How does one tip?

I ask from the perspective of having a DH who might be an over-tipper:confused:

I have not cruised since auto-tipping became available on Celebrity. My understanding is that it takes care of routine servers - and that one might want to tip additionally (at end of cruise?) for superior service.

...But what about specialty restaurants. How does one tip?

I ask from the perspective of having a DH who might be an over-tipper:confused:

Good for your DH! I think you will find the service deserving of "over" tipping. We've always had wonderful cabin attendants and waiters and tip them extra at the end of the cruise. They can really add a lot to your enjoyment of your cruise. In the specialty restaurant, your lovely DH can just hand the waiter a tip.

I have to agree with the majority. Let your table mates & waiter know your plans. It is only considerate to do so. We always ask for MDR late sitting with a large table. Only once did that not work out wonderfully. Sitting by yourself at a table for 10 is not fun. This was due to a group of 4 who showed up when they felt like it(seldom). The other couples had informed us & the waiters of their alternative plans. My biggest complaint is with people who book the late sitting, then never come, while you cannot get seated at that time. If you want to go eat whenever it is your pleasure, and never mind anyone else, pls don't book in the MDR! It's not required!

I recently had to cancel a Royal Caribbean Cruise and had their Cruise Care Insurance. I actually received two refunds. One was from Berkely the insurance company for the cost of the cruise only and the other was from RCI directly for my pre-paid gratuities, port charges and taxes so I really don't think you should be paying more to include the gratuities in your insurance coverage. I'm sure that would be directly refunded by Celebrity.

I recently posted a thread explaining my reasons for choosing early seating dining instead of select dining. In a nutshell, the insurance will cost more if I choose select dining.

This brings about another question. Do you consider it exceptionally rude to make a reservation for early seating dinner and only eat in the MDR 3-4 times during a 7 day cruise? Obviously this was not an issue in the past because select dining wasn't an option. Also, we will request a private table to avoid being rude to table-mates. I'm more concerned about being rude to the waiters, but we will obviously tip them fully.

Archived