Rude to skip dinner in the MDR?

algorithmannie

I recently posted a thread explaining my reasons for choosing early seating dining instead of select dining. In a nutshell, the insurance will cost more if I choose select dining.

This brings about another question. Do you consider it exceptionally rude to make a reservation for early seating dinner and only eat in the MDR 3-4 times during a 7 day cruise? Obviously this was not an issue in the past because select dining wasn't an option. Also, we will request a private table to avoid being rude to table-mates. I'm more concerned about being rude to the waiters, but we will obviously tip them fully.

If as you say you're going to tip your waitstaff for the full week, you are not being rude by patronizing the alternative restaurants a few nights. Simply give both your waitstaff as well as the Maitre'd a 'heads up' if you won't be there the next evening. They appreciate the notice, and that gives the Matire'd an available table for two, or if you're at a larger table, two additional seats at his/her disposal. If you're at a larger table, it's nice to extend the same courtesy to your fellow diners so that they're not left wondering where you are the following night.

Enjoy your cruise, and enjoy both the main dining room as well as the alternative restaurants. ;)

I recently posted a thread explaining my reasons for choosing early seating dining instead of select dining. In a nutshell, the insurance will cost more if I choose select dining.

This brings about another question. Do you consider it exceptionally rude to make a reservation for early seating dinner and only eat in the MDR 3-4 times during a 7 day cruise? Obviously this was not an issue in the past because select dining wasn't an option. Also, we will request a private table to avoid being rude to table-mates. I'm more concerned about being rude to the waiters, but we will obviously tip them fully.

Just out of curiosity, how does insurance cost more because of select dining? Is it because of the prepaid tips adding to the cost of the cruise? If so, it could'nt have added that much, could it? Not being critical here, just wondering how insurance cost goes up as a result of dining choice.

I would think that changing our dining and the pre-paid tips wouldn't increase insurance very much either. Our TA quoted us $20 more per person for the insurance. Not a ton, but enough to sway our choice. You can see my other thread on the topic.

Thanks for the input about skipping dinner in the MDR. We try to let the waiters know in advance if we will be dining elsewhere. However, we always come back the next night and our waiters say "We missed you!" and act disappointed when we say we'll be gone again the next night. But my guess is that you're right... it's an act... they probably appreciate having a quieter night.

On the S-class, showing up for dinner only 3-4 nights is especially common. You won't be in the minority! People will be dining in the specialty restaurants more simply because there are three of them (four if you count Blu, but I won't here) and they want to try them all. The waitstaff is used to this, and I've seen many tables or parts of tables sit empty in traditional dining. Like others have said, just let your waiter know ahead of time and I'm sure it will be fine.

We now only sail the Equinox in AQ, but before when we sailed the M class, we would advise the waiters and our table mates that if we were more than 5 minutes late then we would appreciate that they proceed without us. We further advised that we were never late; hence, that tardiness would indicate that we would not be having dinner at that venue that evening.

The upfront tip cost will not effect your travel insurance. Just shop it yourself and don't add that to the total reimibursement cost for the cruise, even though I doubt it would effect it anyway. Your TA should be able to do it for you but if they won't go to www.squaremouth.com and do it yourself. You will save money on top of it.

B

Why are you making such a big deal about this - you can (if there is space) change your dining preferance once you are onboard. Then your "regular" table will be reasigned while you change to select dining. You do that right when you get onboard at the special desk outside the dining room (or where ever the MD has dedicated in the daily progr.) That is neither rude nor a problem. Reasignments happen almost every day.

Why are you making such a big deal about this - you can (if there is space) change your dining preferance once you are onboard. Then your "regular" table will be reasigned while you change to select dining. You do that right when you get onboard at the special desk outside the dining room (or where ever the MD has dedicated in the daily progr.) That is neither rude nor a problem. Reasignments happen almost every day.

the Op is ' a big deal about this' just to bug..YOU..and it worked..:)

the Op is ' a big deal about this' just to bug..YOU..and it worked..:)

Bigger question is: why did it?

We always give our waiter a days notice when we are not going to be at dinner the following evening and we tip him , the assistant waiter and cocktail waiter for the missed evening anyway. That being the case we do not consider ourselves to be rude.:)

And, I assume that you do not opt out of the auto tip.

It is far from rude, in fact the cruise line wants you to do this. If you don't, their alternative pay as you go restaurants would be empty. We never feel obliged to show up every day if we have traditional seating. We are on vaction, we just do what suits us-including skipping dinner in the MDR.

On a cruise a couple of years ago our dining companions let us know the first night that they wanted to dine earlier than main dining and they were going to see if they could change. They came to the table the second night to let us know they had changed. We then had some great companions seated at our table for the rest of the cruise. I'm glad our original companions let us know of their change.

On our last cruise we were seated at a table for four. Our dining companions were not at dinner the first night. They were at dinner the second night and then we didn't see them the rest of the cruise. It would have been nice if they would just have let us know they were changing to a different time, or preferred to eat in the Lido, etc.

I feel that, if you know in advance you will not be dining the next night, it is just a courtesy to advise your waiter and dining companions.

We opt for tables for 2 frequently. We have found that the wait staff is pleased to know if we have alternate plans for upcoming evenings and have found they enjoy inquiring what we found enjoyable about the food and venues we visited.

They send us off with a blessing and welcome us back with pleasure. Some how even after all these years of cruising we find the MDR wait staff has a high excitement level for our enjoyment just s much as we do. Its amazing!:)

On a cruise a couple of years ago our dining companions let us know the first night that they wanted to dine earlier than main dining and they were going to see if they could change. They came to the table the second night to let us know they had changed. We then had some great companions seated at our table for the rest of the cruise. I'm glad our original companions let us know of their change.

On our last cruise we were seated at a table for four. Our dining companions were not at dinner the first night. They were at dinner the second night and then we didn't see them the rest of the cruise. It would have been nice if they would just have let us know they were changing to a different time, or preferred to eat in the Lido, etc.

I feel that, if you know in advance you will not be dining the next night, it is just a courtesy to advise your waiter and dining companions.

I realize the OP said they usually dine with just the two of them, but I completely agree with you luckysadie. We had a table for 6 on our recent cruise and all three couples were only together for 2 nights. DH and I were there each night and one other couple was polite enough to let us know if they were going to be there for dinner or not (even leaving a note on the table, informing the staff, etc)....while one copule was just unpredictable. We sat for a while each evening waiting to see if they would show up - not wanting to be rude and start without them. The staff was amazingly gracious and friendly, never rushed us or ignored us, but we felt odd sitting there waiting and not knowing night after night.

It's not rude to skip the MDR....but it sure seems rude to be assigned a table with others and not let them know you won't be joining them for dinner.

I do not think if is rude to the staff.

Still you may want to consider that there are relatively few tables for two in traditional dining. If you manage to get one, another couple will not, quite possibly a couple who would have enjoyed the table for two every night. Quite possibly the couple will repeatedly look across the MDR at your wasted empty table for two. Do you feel comfortable taking the table they so want? OK if you do, though I wouldn't. Were I you, I'd try to sign up for select dining on board. If I could not get it, I'd take an assignment at a large table and tell my table mates when we plan to miss the MDR.

As long as your tips are covered & you give the wait staff a heads up, then it's certainly not rude. the ships would not have alternate dining if they expected everyone in MDR every night. We usually eat in MDR first night, after that, not so much...let wait staff know, if we're not there within 5 minutes of seating, then we're not coming. Not a problem.

Thanks for the input everyone! This is very good to know.

We actually have travel as a group of 3 people, so we are seated at a table for 4... hopefully that way we aren't taking a coveted 2 person table.

I hadn't even thought of changing to Select Dining once on-board! We'll definitely give that a shot. If it's full, then we'll just be sure to let our waiters know when we'll be gone.

And, I assume that you do not opt out of the auto tip.

No we do not opt out of auto tipping. Our feeling has always been if we can afford to cruise we can afford to tip. These people work long and hard hours and in most instances have families to support. :)Tipping has always insured us excellent service whether it be on a ship or elsewhere.

Archived