Bus Schedule

Ethel5

I am going to rain on your parade a bit because many others do read these forums and need to understand about Venice. Mestre is not Venice but rather a small town across the causeway from Venice approximately 8 miles from the Piazale Roma. Mestre is primarily used as a base for bus tours to Venice because it has a group of typical motels with reasonable prices. But this all comes at a price in romance and charm. There are also reasonbly priced hotels in Venice and some of the most fun is finding a small inn in the right location. The advantage is that you are truly staying in Venice and can either walk or use the vaporettos to get around without worrying about shuttle buses, ACTV buses, etc. When we are only doing a short stay in Venice (pre or post cruise) we usually opt for one of the smaller hotels right near the Piazale Rome (Ca Doge is one we like) which simplifies transfers to and from the port and airport. A good web site to search out hotels (in all price ranges) in Venice is Venere.com which is a European site that has good info and helpful maps to pinpoint locations. In my mind staying out in Mestre is similar to visiting Manhattan and staying over in Queens.

Hank

ACTV is boat company; ATVO is bus.

Almost, but not quite. ACTV runs the public vaporettos (boats) as well as land buses, and a few other things.

ATVO is a private bus company that runs coaches to and from several locations, most popularly between Piazzale Roma and the two airports.

Thank you for your input but does anyone know how late the buses run?

I know that Mestre is not Venice but there are 21 couples from our Roll Call staying there and we did the Venice proper thing last year and will do it again next year. I also know that ACTV does run buses from P Roma and Mestre, I just need to know how late they run.

The line you want is #2, and the last departure from Piazzale Roma is at 11:45 PM, arriving at the train station in Mestre at 11:56. The timetable is here: http://www.actv.it/pdf/urbano/U-2.pdf

The map of the bus line is here: http://www.actv.it/pdf/piante_automobilistico/2-UM.pdf. The Mestre train station is stop #8.

Thank you for your input but does anyone know how late the buses run?

I know that Mestre is not Venice but there are 21 couples from our Roll Call staying there and we did the Venice proper thing last year and will do it again next year. I also know that ACTV does run buses from P Roma and Mestre, I just need to know how late they run.

http://www.actv.it/pdf/urbano/U-7.pdf

Archived