need advice on Pisa & Flo

time4me2fly

My friend will be traveling to Rome in December with a group. The children in the group are in a choir and will be singing to the Pope on New Years day, along with many other children choirs.

The group will tour Rome together and have one free day on their own.

My friend really wants to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa and her son wants to climb the Tower.

Her plan is to take train from Rome to Florence to Pisa and arrive there around 2:00pm. Do some sight seeing in Pisa and take taxi to Leaning Tower. Then take 5:45 train back to Rome.

Questions:

How close is the Tower from the train station?

What other sites are there in Pisa?

I've been to the Leaning Tower and know what it's like. I didn't sight see in Pisa, so don't know if there is anything there to see/do.

I recommended:

Take train to Pisa, have a private tour company pick them up and take them to Tower. Then drive to Florence for some sight seeing. Get dropped off at train station in Florence and take train back to Rome. Since it's just 3 people, the tour company price is too high for them, along with cost of train rides.

Any suggestions? They really want to see the Leaning Tower.

Thanks in advance

The train station is a little over a mile from the Tower, so after sitting for three hours on the train they may want to walk just to stretch their legs.

There are daily trains at 6 AM (arrives at 9 AM) and 8 AM (arrives at 11 AM); I think if you are going to do a long day trip like this you need to hit the road early.

There is quite a lot to see in the Piazza dei Miracoli in addition to the tower. The cathedral, the Baptistry and the museum are all worthwhile; visiting these, plus climbing the tower, and then lunch, will fill their day.

There is a 3 PM return train that arrives a little after 6 PM. If they take the early train in the morning they'll have time for lunch, if they take the later train, they'll barely be able to see everything before rushing back to the station.

My friend will be traveling to Rome in December with a group. The children in the group are in a choir and will be singing to the Pope on New Years day, along with many other children choirs.

The group will tour Rome together and have one free day on their own.

My friend really wants to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa and her son wants to climb the Tower.

Her plan is to take train from Rome to Florence to Pisa and arrive there around 2:00pm. Do some sight seeing in Pisa and take taxi to Leaning Tower. Then take 5:45 train back to Rome.

Questions:

How close is the Tower from the train station?

What other sites are there in Pisa?

I've been to the Leaning Tower and know what it's like. I didn't sight see in Pisa, so don't know if there is anything there to see/do.

I recommended:

Take train to Pisa, have a private tour company pick them up and take them to Tower. Then drive to Florence for some sight seeing. Get dropped off at train station in Florence and take train back to Rome. Since it's just 3 people, the tour company price is too high for them, along with cost of train rides.

Any suggestions? They really want to see the Leaning Tower.

Thanks in advance

How old is the son???

there are age restrictions for children... Children under 8 are not allowed on the tower!!!

It's too early to do plannings.

December 12 is schedule change all over Europe.

So normally from Mid October you can get a preview of the long-distance lines and check the new schedule.

Check this website for all your answers:

http://www.opapisa.it/en/plan-your-visit/practical-information/how-to-get-there.html

2009NCLGEM60316-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

Word of advice: take a taxi from the train station. We took the city bus & ended up taking the "scenic route" & missing our tower climb. We were fortunatle enough to schedule the next climb, but if I had it to do over again I would take a taxi to save time.

You can also take a train to Livorno. From there is it about a 20 minute taxi ride. There are some vendors there, and the cathedral and of course the tower. Of course it is something to see...but to use a whole day just to see it, not sure it's worth it. If you could do a tour for both Pisa and Florence, maybe that would be worth it.

Archived