Private Guide Recommendations for Dubrovnik and Kotor

forshping

advice re Dubrovnik...just got back last month...very easy to see on own as Claudia,above,said....PS...if doing the wall walk,,,go very early,,,hot and crowded after 9 or so....can do half....also,cabrio bus tour at :Pile Gate....there is one poster Dubrovnik travel lady,,,who is very helpful...great city after crowds of tourists leave,,but very crowded and crazy when lots of ships in town,,,we stayed 3 days before cruise and really loved it....private guides really not needed,but many listed on above mentioned thread....;)

We have had the pleasure of using Denis in Dubrovnik. He tailored our tour to our interests.He can be contacted at:

denisdubrovnik@yahoo.com

Does "Denis" have a website and also can you tell me if he only does walking tours of Dubrovnik or bus/taxi tours as well. I have sent him and email but as of now have not had a reply.

We are also sailing on Marina on 5/6/11......do you have any other private tours lined up for other ports also? We did Oceania's Med cruise last year and had private tours for almost all the ports, but on this cruise we're hoping to do most ports on our own.

Last year we were on Insignia and Carol did a private tour for Ken & I. We had a wonderful day with Carol. You can not go wrong with her, she lives in Dubrovnik and of course speaks the language. If you contact her please say that Jill & Ken say hello from South Carolina.

Carol Sosa dubrovniktravelady@gmail.com

Jill

• 6 months later...
We are sailing Marina on 5/6/11 and would like recommendations for private guides in Dubrovnik and Kotor. Thanks.

For Kotor, our butler suggested that we see Sveti Stefan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveti_Stefan and Budva http://www.budva.com/.

When we disembarked, there were several taxi drivers holding up maps of where they could take us, and we chose the one whose English was the best. We just had photo ops above Sveti Stefan, but we had time to wander in Budva, a very cool little walled city, kind of like a miniature Dubrovnik. Our driver dropped us outside the walls and met us at a prearranged time and drove us back to Kotor. The ship docks right at the entrance to the city walls, and we had plenty of time to explore before the ship departed. Beautiful sail in to Montenegro in the early morning!

We are sailing Marina on 5/6/11 and would like recommendations for private guides in Dubrovnik and Kotor. Thanks.

Last October our group of 6 visited both Dubrovnik and Kotor on the REGATTA. We arranged full day tours (about 6-7 hours) in both cities with Ivan and Christiane (Dubrovnik Private Tours). Total cost for both days was $1,150. Each day included a driver, tour guide, and comfy vehicle. We enjoyed lunch each day in the countryside, but was NOT included in the tour cost.

They are a married couple with a home in Dubrovnik, but also have a residence in New York near Central Park. I believe Ivan mostly stays in Dubrovnik (he did our tour) and Christiane spends some time in NY with their daughter. In Kotor, our tour guide turned out to be director of tourism in Montenegro. He was a true joy, extremely knowledgable about his country's history.

Their site is www.dubrovnikprivatetours.com

Ivan's mobile is (385)91-151-1510

Good Luck!

Mike - New Orleans

...Kotor definitely doesn't need a guide, the ship docks literally a slow 5 minute walk outside the main gate of the old walled city. It's a fascinating place to wander around in, the old walls that wind up the surrounding mountains have been there for almost a thousand years, when I first saw this setting it instantly reminded me of scenes from 'The Lord of The Rings,' definitely a place worth visiting once, and we're scheduled to do it again in the fall...

cheers,

the Imagineer

...Kotor definitely doesn't need a guide, the ship docks literally a slow 5 minute walk outside the main gate of the old walled city. It's a fascinating place to wander around in, the old walls that wind up the surrounding mountains have been there for almost a thousand years, when I first saw this setting it instantly reminded me of scenes from 'The Lord of The Rings,' definitely a place worth visiting once, and we're scheduled to do it again in the fall...

cheers,

the Imagineer

If one is satisfied with wandering around the city from the ship's berth, then obviously no guide is needed. But if one is more adventurous to go up into the scenic mountains and learn of the incredible political/violent upheaval history of Montenegro, then a guide is much needed. In addition a guide can take you to some delightful sea-side towns a short distance away from Kotor. Our 6-7 hour tour (including lunch) was delighful.

Mike - New Orleans

In Kotor, my husband went with a small group into the mountains. I stayed in town and walked around on my own. Very easy to do. The Maritime Museum was very interesting--the Bay of Kotor has a fascinating naval history. The churches are small and have beautiful interiors. It's also just a nice place to take a seat in an outdoor cafe and watch the world go by. If you go into the mountains, be prepared for a somewhat harrowing ride based on the info from the group that went that direction. For the very hardy, you can hike to the old fort from old town in Kotor. Make sure you are out and about for the sail in or sailaway from Kotor--gorgeous scenery.

• 2 weeks later...
In Kotor, my husband went with a small group into the mountains. I stayed in town and walked around on my own. Very easy to do. The Maritime Museum was very interesting--the Bay of Kotor has a fascinating naval history. The churches are small and have beautiful interiors. It's also just a nice place to take a seat in an outdoor cafe and watch the world go by. If you go into the mountains, be prepared for a somewhat harrowing ride based on the info from the group that went that direction. For the very hardy, you can hike to the old fort from old town in Kotor. Make sure you are out and about for the sail in or sailaway from Kotor--gorgeous scenery.

Is hiking popular in Kotor?

• 11 months later...
Beautiful ports!! Easy DIY;s Taxis available at both docks. Edited by canuck.qc
did not complete!

Could you tell us what the cost per person was?

If one is satisfied with wandering around the city from the ship's berth, then obviously no guide is needed. But if one is more adventurous to go up into the scenic mountains and learn of the incredible political/violent upheaval history of Montenegro, then a guide is much needed. In addition a guide can take you to some delightful sea-side towns a short distance away from Kotor. Our 6-7 hour tour (including lunch) was delighful.

Mike - New Orleans

We booked Tours of Split, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Budva and bay of Kotor through Private Tours & Shore Excursions by Matthew (http://www.private-guides.com/guide-in-croatia/croatia-matej-dancevic/index.php). Our driver-guide Ilia (private.guides@net.hr) in Kotor was very knowledgeable and made our visit to Montenegro much more meaningful. The amount of information he provided was impressive. It was definitely worth having him with us as we gained so much more knowledge than simply touring on our own! In Dubrovnik, another amazing local guide was Ajosa. Highly recommended!

We had a group of 6 - total cost was $1,150 which included 1 day tour (6-7 hours with lunch) in Dubrovnik and 1 day tour (6-7 hours with lunch) in Kotor

If you need person I used, email me at mtrdesign at att.net

• 6 months later...

I hope I am not too late for your cruise. I haven’t logged in to the site for ages. We were moving into a new house and it was quite stressful…

We had a group of 7, booked on shore trips in Kotor, Split and Dubrovnik. Matthew (matej.t.d@gmail.com) did custom tours for us and we paid $450 to 500 for each of the tours. All three trips were fantastic!

We are now planning our trip to Galapagos!

Edited by cruisetheoceans

• 6 years later...

I have just returned home for doing to cruises with ports of call in Dubrovnik and Kotor.

I did private tours in both places with Private Guides of Croatia.

I Dubrovnik our guide was Daniela and she was probably one of the most knowledgeable guides we ever had.

The tour I arranged in Dubrovnik was "Walking Tour of Dubrovnik & Panorama Drive-town of Cavat.

The panoramic view was amazing, but we could have spent a little less time there. We then went to Cavat which was a really neat small town that sat on the water. We had plenty of time to eat lunch or just explore. I chose to climb 177 steps to a cemetery on the top of a hill. It was beautiful with a great view.

Onto Dubrovnik, one of my favorite places. Daniela knew everything about the history. She was wonderful. The only problem was it rained the whole time so we couldn't explore on our own when the tour was over. I would highly recommend. 

Private Guides was so easy to work with and Ana was wonderful. Would definitely use them again privateguidesteam@gmail.com

This is their email address      

Edited by BAnders