Is the Domus Aurea Open?

DKobler

I have read in several places that the Domus Aurea is closed due to severe flooding in the last few years.

Does anyone know if tours are available? Has it been reopened to the public?

We will be in Rome on September 19th and would like to visit this site.

Since even the site listed by the poster above is confusing (it says "closed" but it also says "reopened to the public since June 26"), I checked on Tripadvisor. There someone posted that it will be closed until 2011. However, if you will be in the vicinity, it may be worth checking. I know it has closed and then partially reopened (you can see only portions while restoration work is ongoing) several times.

According to the city's tourism web site, several of the sites in Rome, including the Domus Aurea, will be reorganized into a new grouping called The Forum Houses (Casa dei Fori).

Starting sometime in 2011, it sounds like there will be one ticket that covers the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and the Palatine (the current grouping) plus the Imperial Forum and the Domus Aurea. New excavations will be opened in this process.

The English language version of the announcement doesn't give many specifics (here: http://en.turismoroma.it/oggi_a_roma/in_primo_piano/la_casa_dei_fori) and I didn't see any specific mention of when the DA would be open for visits.

Archived