Priceline "beware"

mandms40

There are of course MANY exceptions, but I've noticed over the years that the whiners and complainers are MUCH more likely to post a nasty review that the people that have no problems. I personally think they have no life and think they deserve to be treated like royalty. God forbid they aren't.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels that had a bunch of whiney reviews and the place was fine. One's person castle is another's dump if they find a crumb in the carpet, for example.

My point: don't assume that it will be a dump. You might be surprised :).

Wow! This is why I usually only read what is on CC. Let alone post something and get flamed for it. Somepeople need to not say nothing at all if you cant be nice about it. I do not WHIN about every little thing, And I sure dont expect to be treated like royalty, but I do expect to get what I paid for. This is why alot of people wont post, because of people like YOU!

Wow! This is why I usually only read what is on CC. Let alone post something and get flamed for it. Somepeople need to not say nothing at all if you cant be nice about it. I do not WHIN about every little thing, And I sure dont expect to be treated like royalty, but I do expect to get what I paid for. This is why alot of people wont post, because of people like YOU!

Since you have not stayed or written a review on TA about this hotel the poster was not referring to you.

Several posters have mentioned that the hotel isnt that bad, so hopefully you will have a nice stay.

Thank you :).

I am hardly a cheeerleader that drinks the Kool-Aid IE. I have no problems with constructive criticism.

There is just SO much negativity in the world and complaining about some things (like not reading a contract before signing, being upset if a pax is unable/unwilling to read a clearly posted sign, expecting to wait in line like the rest of us, expecting a room to have a look like it's fresh out of the box,having the attitude that it's my vacation and I can do whatever I want..damn the rest of society, etc.) really is draining. Be grateful you can stay in a hotel and take a cruise.

Ok...I'm done ranting :).

I just reread my post and at no point did I even come close to insinuate that the OP was a whiner or complainer. If you think I did, I truly do apologize.

I was referring to people in this world that feel a need to comment on everything, and I mean everything, that they CAN comment on. Unfortunately, that does tend to bring out the complainers in life. I think that the anomyminity (sp?) of the net brings that out.....

You're kidding right?:rolleyes:

I'm a "local" so I read the various reviews on PL and am surprised. CP Irvine is a nice-looking hotel in a nice area. Be aware it's a business hotel in a huge office park; if you don't have a car it will be difficult to get to restaurants, stores, etc. (South Coast Plaza and Irvine Spectrum are both 10 minutes away). If you do have a car, parking is $12 FYI.

I notice the negative reviews tend to be people who booked through "opaque" sites like Priceline. To a certain extent that's to be expected....they deal with a hotel's "scratch and dent" excess inventory and you have to expect the cramped room at the far end of corridor on an upper floor, etc. (There are good and bad rooms in every hotel). But, I was surprised to see several comments about the general condition of the hotel. IIRC the hotel was built sometime around 1980 but their website says it was renovated in 2007!

ssatterly- Interesting to learn more about the relationship of the opaque sites and the hotels. But don't Priceline, et al sell rooms that would otherwise be unoccupied? Using your example, the hotel gets $45 revenue instead of $0, and that revenue is guaranteed (where a $200 booking might be cancelled up to 24h prior). If the guest has a good experience it's good advertising for the hotel even if there is zero profit off the $45. It's difficult to buy into the comment about "in this economy". PL was hopping even when the economy was at its peak; maybe the deals weren't as deep or plentiful. That said, I personally have never used PL as I'm picky about location, room configuration, etc. but it seems like a good deal for those who aren't.

There are even many time where the hotel loses money on a room from these sites. Once we get the say $45 for the room the hotel has to pay another 10% of that to the Compnay that has the hotel flag. So then that leads to only $40 left then we have the fact we offer a free hot breakfast that cost the hotel money so take about another $6 per person off of that and you are then left with $30 then you still have to pay state taxes and Occupancy taxes which here in NC is another 11.75% So then you are down into the $20 range. Then thats not even enough to pay any enployee or any hotel bill such as the water bill. So more times than not the hotel will lose out on the deal just to be seen.. i almost wonder if just being seen is worth losing money over?

Interesting....I'd think even if the hotel took in a net $20 after breakfast, taxes, etc. the hotel is still ahead by that amount vs. leaving the room unoccupied. Even at a loss, better to lose $5 than $25. The staff is paid whether 5 rooms or 50 are occupied so labor is a fixed cost. Utilities and supplies are an incremental cost but I bet that's less than $5 per occupied room. It seems more accurate to divide total labor costs by the number of occupied rooms, rather than assigning full labor costs to the "Priceline" rooms. The exception is if occupancy is low enough to send some staff home unpaid. (I know very little about hotel financials...I'd be curious to see typical fixed and incremental costs.)

This seems very similar to the airline fare structure now that I've pondered it. :) Perishable inventory, high fixed costs, thin profits sustained by "high yield" customers, and small incremental cost to utilize otherwise unused inventory.

So more times than not the hotel will lose out on the deal just to be seen.. i almost wonder if just being seen is worth losing money over?

I don't get what you mean. The point of priceline's name your price (As you're referring to) is that they're not "seen." It's pot luck which brand (or not) you'll get as long as it meets the star rating.

The hotel gets to set the price they want, which is why sometimes you'll get one property and sometimes another, depending who is cheaper. Nothing's forcing them to lose money on the service.

There are even many time where the hotel loses money on a room from these sites. (...) So more times than not the hotel will lose out on the deal just to be seen.. i almost wonder if just being seen is worth losing money over?

As mentionned previously, they can't be doing it to be 'seen' as they are not 'seen' until you have already won and paid for the hotel. I can't beleive a hotel is obligated to do the "name your own price" thing ?

Priceline: Hi Major hotel chain ? Yes, we'd like to sell your rooms for you, NOT advertise which hotel the customer will get until AFTER they pay. And as an added bonus, you will loose money in the deal cause we sell the rooms so cheap.

Major Hotel chain: Perfect ! Sign me up !

:p

No business stays in business by loosing money. If it were that bad, they would opt out.

So then that leads to only $40 left then we have the fact we offer a free hot breakfast that cost the hotel money so take about another $6 per person off of that and you are then left with $30 then you still have to pay state taxes and Occupancy taxes which here in NC is another 11.75% So then you are down into the $20 range. ?

Unless Priceline is lying to us, this statement is incorrect. On my recent win at the MIA Courtyard Marriott (for 56$ - current website rate 119$), the receipt indicates there are 15$ in added "taxes and fees". If you click on them it opens this window:

Charges for Taxes and Fees

In connection with facilitating your hotel transaction, the charge to your debit or credit card will include a charge for Taxes and Fees. This charge includes an estimated amount to recover the amount we pay to the hotel in connection with your reservation for taxes owed by the hotel including, without limitation, sales and use tax, occupancy tax, room tax, excise tax, value added tax and/or other similar taxes. In certain locations, the tax amount may also include government imposed service fees or other fees not paid directly to the taxing authorities but required by law to be collected by the hotel. The amount paid to the hotel in connection with your reservation for taxes may vary from the amount we estimate and include in the charge to you. The balance of the charge for Taxes and Fees is a fee we retain as part of the compensation for our services and to cover the costs of your reservation, including, for example, customer service costs. The charge for Taxes and Fees varies based on a number of factors including, without limitation, the amount we pay the hotel and the location of the hotel where you will be staying, and may include profit that we retain.

... so according to that, it doens't come out of the winning bid amount. The customer pays it in addition to the room.

Sorry to interject into this thread...,but I saw that this was the most recent place that Goodml had posted and I have a question for him/her.

GOODML: If you see this could you tell me if the Jewel of the Seas balcony #9000 that you have had before was different/bigger than a normal balcony?

The deck plan looks like it is, but I wasn't sure as you didn't mention it in your old post.... and I think it sounds fun to be able to see the captain/crew on bridge.

p.s.--- sorry to track you down... but you are the only person who I can find who referenced having had this room and I really want some input. Thanks.

Since I interjected myself into an unrelated discussion - I did go back and read what the thread was about and felt I should also contribute to the actual topic at hand... or at least try since I was taking up your space with my other motives! ;)

I have only used Priceline once before and did so after having talked to more than one person who had (within the last few days) placed a certain bid and won a specific hotel. I agree with those who said you are definitely taking a chance that Priceline does warn you about. To the OP: I would suggest giving Priceline another try with some more research before bidding this time. You're always taking a chance, but research is key...... I guess it goes without saying that I think this since I am tracking down someone to find out about a room in my other post! lol. You might end up liking Priceline and getting great deals.

I wish you luck with whatever hotel you choose & happy cruising!

As mentionned previously, they can't be doing it to be 'seen' as they are not 'seen' until you have already won and paid for the hotel. I can't beleive a hotel is obligated to do the "name your own price" thing ?

Priceline: Hi Major hotel chain ? Yes, we'd like to sell your rooms for you, NOT advertise which hotel the customer will get until AFTER they pay. And as an added bonus, you will loose money in the deal cause we sell the rooms so cheap.

Major Hotel chain: Perfect ! Sign me up !

:p

No business stays in business by loosing money. If it were that bad, they would opt out.

Unless Priceline is lying to us, this statement is incorrect. On my recent win at the MIA Courtyard Marriott (for 56$ - current website rate 119$), the receipt indicates there are 15$ in added "taxes and fees". If you click on them it opens this window:

Charges for Taxes and Fees

In connection with facilitating your hotel transaction, the charge to your debit or credit card will include a charge for Taxes and Fees. This charge includes an estimated amount to recover the amount we pay to the hotel in connection with your reservation for taxes owed by the hotel including, without limitation, sales and use tax, occupancy tax, room tax, excise tax, value added tax and/or other similar taxes. In certain locations, the tax amount may also include government imposed service fees or other fees not paid directly to the taxing authorities but required by law to be collected by the hotel. The amount paid to the hotel in connection with your reservation for taxes may vary from the amount we estimate and include in the charge to you. The balance of the charge for Taxes and Fees is a fee we retain as part of the compensation for our services and to cover the costs of your reservation, including, for example, customer service costs. The charge for Taxes and Fees varies based on a number of factors including, without limitation, the amount we pay the hotel and the location of the hotel where you will be staying, and may include profit that we retain.

... so according to that, it doens't come out of the winning bid amount. The customer pays it in addition to the room.

Fees that they keep yes. But they do not pay any state or sales tax on the money that they make. That is why they are in lawsuites with more than one state right now NC and FL being just 2 of them And NC has won so far becase as of JAN 1st they (the 3rd parties) have been ordered to start paying the sales tax that is owed to NC on the "fees" that they charge. So yes they have been lying to you and so have all of the other websites.

Sorry to interject into this thread...,but I saw that this was the most recent place that Goodml had posted and I have a question for him/her.

GOODML: If you see this could you tell me if the Jewel of the Seas balcony #9000 that you have had before was different/bigger than a normal balcony?

The deck plan looks like it is, but I wasn't sure as you didn't mention it in your old post.... and I think it sounds fun to be able to see the captain/crew on bridge.

p.s.--- sorry to track you down... but you are the only person who I can find who referenced having had this room and I really want some input. Thanks.

:DHi Annie, lol, this is the great thing about Cruise Critic.

We had 9000, 9001 (an inside down the hall) and our friends had another balcony several doors down. Ours was no bigger than the one our friends had. I thought the same thing when we booked based on the deckplan. If anything, I suppose you might find it feels a bit smaller because it's not a divider at the end but the actual wall because it's the last balcony. We didn't mind it at all though. Hope this helps.:)

I have used Priceline about a dozen times and have had a great experience except when bidding in smaller towns where we ended up in a Microtel twice. They were rated as two stars but were not in two star condition. I learned my lesson there. Also, if you want a room in NYC for more than two people, do not use Priceline. I used Priceline for a room at the end of our cruise in Port Canaveral and ended up at the Radisson for about a $30 savings over their web price. We happily used that savings to put towards a nice dinner out.

Fees that they keep yes. But they do not pay any state or sales tax on the money that they make. That is why they are in lawsuites with more than one state right now NC and FL being just 2 of them And NC has won so far becase as of JAN 1st they (the 3rd parties) have been ordered to start paying the sales tax that is owed to NC on the "fees" that they charge. So yes they have been lying to you and so have all of the other websites.

Your logic is flawed and clearly you don't work in the revenue department of a hotel chain. No one is forcing any hotel to participate on opaque (or other) consolidator sites. As others have already stated, unaccomodated rooms lose money as there are fixed costs associated with every room on a per diem basis. Every dollar collected from an accomodated room is better than the zero realized on an empty one. If the process wasn't at least somewhat lucrative you wouldn't see major chains participating for years and years and years.

Sounds like someone has been hearing stories from a bitter manager who hasn't been hitting his/her revenue targets.:rolleyes:

After doing a little reading I see that you've also made a fairly huge misstatement when you say that Priceline pays no taxes. In fact, Priceline (and Orbitz and Expedia) DO submit occupancy tax to the city but only on the amount that the hotel charges Priceline for the room; not on the amount that the customer eventually pays for the room. The cities feel that they should receive tax payments on the higher amount. In Feb of this year a judge in an LA court overturned an earlier judgement in favor of the cities. Either way, it isn't affecting the hotel chains' revenue at all. Their books show the price paid by Priceline and the occupancy tax associated with that price which is paid by the consolidator.

http://www.bnet.com/blog/travel/expedia-priceline-and-orbitz-rejoice-at-hotel-tax-rollback/4770

Your logic is flawed and clearly you don't work in the revenue department of a hotel chain. No one is forcing any hotel to participate on opaque (or other) consolidator sites. As others have already stated, unaccomodated rooms lose money as there are fixed costs associated with every room on a per diem basis. Every dollar collected from an accomodated room is better than the zero realized on an empty one. If the process wasn't at least somewhat lucrative you wouldn't see major chains participating for years and years and years.

Sounds like someone has been hearing stories from a bitter manager who hasn't been hitting his/her revenue targets.:rolleyes:

After doing a little reading I see that you've also made a fairly huge misstatement when you say that Priceline pays no taxes. In fact, Priceline (and Orbitz and Expedia) DO submit occupancy tax to the city but only on the amount that the hotel charges Priceline for the room; not on the amount that the customer eventually pays for the room. The cities feel that they should receive tax payments on the higher amount. In Feb of this year a judge in an LA court overturned an earlier judgement in favor of the cities. Either way, it isn't affecting the hotel chains' revenue at all. Their books show the price paid by Priceline and the occupancy tax associated with that price which is paid by the consolidator.

http://www.bnet.com/blog/travel/expedia-priceline-and-orbitz-rejoice-at-hotel-tax-rollback/4770

And I stated earlier that I was talking about NC and FL sue the 3rd parties. Looks like that story was about LA... NC just won not too long ago anf the 3rd parties will have to start paying the NC state and Occ. tax on the revune as well which they DO NOT pay right now....Some states they may already pay but not in all states as NC has been trying for a while to get the taxes.

And I stated earlier that I was talking about NC and FL sue the 3rd parties. Looks like that story was about LA... NC just won not too long ago anf the 3rd parties will have to start paying the NC state and Occ. tax on the revune as well which they DO NOT pay right now....Some states they may already pay but not in all states as NC has been trying for a while to get the taxes.

Please post a link to support that statement.

Edit: Never mind I found it. Once again, you are incorrect. They HAVE been paying the tax on the price that the consolidator pays the hotel for the room. The purpose of the lawsuit is to collect the tax on the difference between what Priceline pays the hotel chain and what the consumer pays for the room. Just like I said before. Facts are a beautiful thing.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/aug/09/online-sites-make-offer-in-hotel-tax-lawsuit/

I just like it because it's cheap and it works. And William Shatner is the man. :p

You said it ! William Shatner and his karate moves are hysterical. That guy was made for comedy !:D

And to Ssatterly: again, it make no difference to me what Priceline pays to whom once I've handed my money to them. If they are not on the up-and-up, they will be called on it. Not my problem. What I was disagreeing with was your statement: from the money a hotel receives from Priceline, they have to deduct taxes from that when in effect, the amount of the taxes is added on top of the winning bid.

you are then left with $30 then you still have to pay state taxes and Occupancy taxes which here in NC is another 11.75% So then you are down into the $20 range. Then thats not even enough to pay any enployee or any hotel bill such as the water bill.

so when I won at 56$, they added 15$ for "taxes&fees" making my total bill 71$. The tax money does not come out of the 56$ winning bid. ie: the customer pays the tax, it does not come out of the pockets of the hotel, which from what I understand gets the amount of the winning bid. The taxes and Priceline's fees are over and above and paid by me.

Further, I'm not sure I understand the rest of your comment above (in red)... I am quite certain that no *one* room is enough to "pay any employee or any hotel bill such as the water bill" even if it sells at full rack rate. It's sounds like you're saying that the profit from room 123 pays the water bill, the profit from room 456 pays Jo from the front desk, 789 pays Bob the doorman, etc. That makes no sense... Would it be better that a room remain empty or that they make 56$ on it ?

I did not take Gunther1's post as flaming you. But face it, you are complaining about a hotel that you have not set foot in. All this based on something that you read on the internet, written by someboby that you haven't met. I would take the advice to check into the Crowne Plaza, if it is not up to par, go to the Embassy Suites. If it is up to your standards, cancel the reservations at the Embassy.

PS-Star rating are not based on on service or cleanliness. Thery are based on the amenities that a hotel offers. Example: The difference between a 2 1/2* and a 3*, is that 3* has on site dining.

I use PL extensively, well over 200 times over the years and never had a bad experience or substandard room.

I wouldnt expect a Hotel Sales Manager to endorse the service:D I rarely pay more than $75 tax included for an 4 star hotel where the lowest price is $2-300.

I agree and have also used PL extensively. No one is shaking down the hotels and making them use a third party service. They are using one because it does what they cannot do...fill rooms.

I agree and have also used PL extensively. No one is shaking down the hotels and making them use a third party service. They are using one because it does what they cannot do...fill rooms.

I'm even going to give their customer service a thumbs up. After being delayed 2 days returning to Ft Lauderdale while on a cruise during a hurricane they gladly refunded the money for the hotel I had bid on. The hotel wasn't willing to budge when we showed up and asked them to consider this (even though they were in an evacuation zone during this).

What I took from this is that some of the 2 star and below hotels (you know the ones, they mention "Priceline" when you check in :D) are to be avoided. I never bid under 3 star now.

Just wanted to give a heads up on my experience with Priceline, We are cruising this January and wanted to get a good hotel at a great price, Well I guess you cant have everything. I did the price your own room for a 3.5 star hotel by the airport in Orange County, they accepted my bid and I got Crown Plaza, Irvine. I went on TripAdvisor.com to check this place out, and low and behold, not one good thing to say about this place, service was bad, rooms were small, air conditioners didnt work, etc.

Contacted Priceline, and all they said was "Sorry, you paid for it, it is a 3.5 star hotel! I will never book with them again. In the mean time, booked directly with Embassy Suites.

I hope I dont get flamed for this, I know alot of people use Priceline, but I think their standards have dropped alot.

JUST A WARNING!

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Our experience with PL has been positive. We are located just up the road from Irvine. I don't know of any hotels in the city that I would run from for a short pre-cruise stay.

IMO, the Crown Plazas in neighboring cities are not bad at all. The area around the airport is safe, (consistantly shows on "safest U.S. cities" list) clean, lots of places to dine and easy to access. Lots of business travelers. Unless you are looking for specifics amenities, if you got a good price from PL, you should not worry about the reviews.

BTW, I see you're sailing on Splendor... if you don't mind the question... why would you stay all the way down in Irvine? Just curious.

Happy sailing!

Archived